Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this on Twitter? If so, I can't see that. Please link us. Thanks.

I only found this

These companies pick out "parts" instead of assembling different customized ingredients together to achieve a desired APU?

It sounds like this guy is saying sony picked out a 5700xt, added their own features and boosted the clock frequency while ms waited for the 6000 series. But thats silly.

Both of these machines are using variations of rdna2 customized to their needs. Id say this kind of thing is only used in ammunition fights between warriors.

I'm guessing that Sony and MS go to AMD and ask to see what they will have ready at certain times. They then pick what interests them and perhaps there is back and forth like oh we like this but we'd like to add this.

I am sure AMD then comes back and says hey that is to much to add in to meet this time frame and the like.

It could all be as simple as Sony wanted to launch earlier and perhaps due to some other issue the time line got pushed back and amd couldn't modify something newer to suit their needs. Like i said what if ps5 is based on the canceled flagship from last year ? Perhaps it did have ray tracing but maybe the rumors about navi 2 using a tmu to do it was based on that hardware ? When amd had issues with the design perhaps amd killed it for desktop but had to continue on making it work for sony. Meanwhile AMD used patented microsoft features in the 2020 product and so they wouldn't have had time to modify it out or perhaps they did but replaced it with the old ray tracing.

Who aside from MS/ SONY / AMD really know what happened and why.

Last edited:
Cerny clearly stated in the road to PlayStation 5 that the GPU in the PS5 was a custom part based on RDNA2.
So we have one side not wanting to be labeled as just the equivalent GPU tech in the console and the other side doing the opposite.

It starts from the 25:05

It stands to reason though that Microsoft would want as close to possible tech to what's available on PC because of Gamepass and how all there games will run on PC.

Cerny clearly stated in the road to PlayStation 5 that the GPU in the PS5 was a custom part based on RDNA2.
So we have one side not wanting to be labeled as just the equivalent GPU tech in the console and the other side doing the opposite.

It starts from the 25:05

It stands to reason though that Microsoft would want as close to possible tech to what's available on PC because of Gamepass and how all there games will run on PC.

I wonder if it's just DirectX raytracing specifically as there's no real reason for them to use that in PS5 if the hardware can just do it in another way but just not called DirectX.

I wonder if it's just DirectX raytracing specifically as there's no real reason for them to use that in PS5 if the hardware can just do it in another way but just not called DirectX.
No, this has nothing to do with DirectX. If MS has a patent here, it is for the implementation. In this case, sony could not use this hardware part without a custom hardware solution. But as far as I know, AMD patented their solution years ago.

There were rumors month ago, that sony has a custom RT solution.

With RDNA2 we have just two choices:
Both are RDNA2 based chips (as far as we know). Xbox has the full RDNA2 spec + custom features and it seems that PS5 has a reduced RDNA2 spec + custom features. This must not be a bad things. Maybe this is what the engineer meant we he wrote that PS5 GPU is more or less RDNA 1.5. But it is really just a matter of the point of view and how you define "RDNA2"-based.

I'm 100% sure, Microsoft's is just equating "full RDNA 2" as being compliant to the latest DX feature-sets that are heavily integrated into AMDs latest GPUs. A closer bridging between PC and XB hardware, which makes sense. Sony has no common OS/APIs in the PC space, so it makes further sense MS IPs aren't present in Sony's GPU, which of course Sony wasn't going to be paying for in the first place (IP licensing fee's). And of course, Sony has a certain amount of bespoke feature-sets / logic in their GPU which we have very little information on, or will never know.

It can't be, considering BVH is 1 GB to 1.5 GB and IC is only 128 Meg.

If it's used for it, 128 meg is easily enough to guarantee that only the last few levels of the traversal need to hit actual ram. It makes a huge difference whether you are doing 16 sequential waits for DRAM per ray compared to doing 2-3 per ray.

I am actually very surprised that AMD is not well in the lead in RT on the strength of the cache alone. Maybe the latency out of the 128MB cache is much higher than I'd think?

If it's used for it, 128 meg is easily enough to guarantee that only the last few levels of the traversal need to hit actual ram. It makes a huge difference whether you are doing 16 sequential waits for DRAM per ray compared to doing 2-3 per ray.

I am actually very surprised that AMD is not well in the lead in RT on the strength of the cache alone. Maybe the latency out of the 128MB cache is much higher than I'd think?

Or the Ray Accelerators are not fast enough. Regardless, they seem to be equivalent to Nvidia 1st Gen, which is a good starting point.

Presumably you could at least have the first few levels of the BVH cached? Traversals all have to start there, so reuse rate should be alright there.

That’s assuming the BVH packs in such a way that levels are contiguously laid out in memory.
I guess the question for me is how it's typically handled over so many CUs.
Would you spread the entire BVH across multiple CUs for processing different rays at the same time (I assume so since each CU has it's own Ray accelerator)? I think the part around cache re-use wrt RT will really depend on how that work is split over the compute. What is the function of the ray accelerator with respect to telling the system how to traverse the BVH.

This part would be interesting to know, and would shed some light on the subject.

Yeah I dunno...I am not overly optimistic about RT performance on the consoles now. AMD being quiet about yesterday seemed a bit weird....and that was with hardware that has Infinity Cache...

Yeah I dunno...I am not overly optimistic about RT performance on the consoles now. AMD being quiet about yesterday seemed a bit weird....and that was with hardware that has Infinity Cache...
I mean it works ;)
It's certainly better than a pure software solution.
And so far, at least 2 titles running at 30fps have it and it looks fairly promising in terms of performance.
I think as the software changes to make things run more performant, and of course with engines adapting to the hardware, we could see further improvements in how RT acceleration is used.

Which RDNA3 feature does PS5 have? I don't think I have seen or heard of a single feature present in the PS5 that could be construed as a feature from RDNA3 which we know nothing about.
RDNA3 comes out in 2022. Says everything you would need to know about these speculations. Addionally Cerny said during the deep dive their coloberation with AMD worked, if GPU launching in the same time frame have similar features.

With RDNA2 we have just two choices:
Both are RDNA2 based chips (as far as we know). Xbox has the full RDNA2 spec + custom features and it seems that PS5 has a reduced RDNA2 spec + custom features. This must not be a bad things. Maybe this is what the engineer meant we he wrote that PS5 GPU is more or less RDNA 1.5. But it is really just a matter of the point of view and how you define "RDNA2"-based.

It's also possible (likely?) that Sony had access to the full RDNA2 roadmap (barring perhaps VRS if AMD are implementing MS patents), but chose to fork from it at a point where some elements were not ready, and so some elements were closer to RDNA1. You could still reasonably claim this is based on RDNA2 because it is indeed based on, and implements much of, the RDNA2 roadmap.

Two good reasons to take this approach could be:

- Your date for having working silicon demands it
- The time required for customisation (requiring a fork from the roadmap) means you can't wait.

Both are entirely reasonable. And it certainly appears that Sony had properly functioning silicon widely available to developers a while before MS did. Even Craig didn't get to run on XSX as late as this summer, while Sony was showing off Spiderman on at least partially complete PS5 hardware 18 months ago. Guess who's going to have the more impressive exclusive launch title to show off this Christmas? :D

DX12U is core to MS's gaming strategy, and it'll be a big driver of AMDs RDNA2 roadmap (perhaps the biggest). It seems natural that MS would fork from "full RDNA2". On the down side, it meant that their customisations to it such as Velocity Architecture weren't working properly as late as this spring. Ouch.

RDNA3 comes out in 2022. Says everything you would need to know about these speculations. Addionally Cerny said during the deep dive their coloberation with AMD worked, if GPU launching in the same time frame have similar features.
2021, not 2022.
upload_2020-10-29_16-39-46.png

It's also possible (likely?) that Sony had access to the full RDNA2 roadmap (barring perhaps VRS if AMD are implementing MS patents), but chose to fork from it at a point where some elements were not ready, and so some elements were closer to RDNA1. You could still reasonably claim this is based on RDNA2 because it is indeed based on, and implements much of, the RDNA2 roadmap.

DX12U is core to MS's gaming strategy, and it'll be a big driver of AMDs RDNA2 roadmap (perhaps the biggest). It seems natural that MS would fork from "full RDNA2". On the down side, it meant that their customisations to it such as Velocity Architecture weren't working properly as late as this spring. Ouch.

I find this interesting, and I'll be very curious to see if MS chooses to reveal what specific RDNA2 features they chose to wait for that were apparently not included in PS5. Is this just PR speak, or is it more than that? Was it for the sole purpose of making sure PC/XB have uniform DX features? The specific feature(s) MS decided to wait for did apparently come at the cost. That cost being delayed dev kits, which leads to immature dev tools, which is far from ideal. So I have to assume their decision to wait for the full RDNA2 feature set was for a good reason.

Yup. There's no single right or wrong decision here. If it is about timing and you want to ensure consistently between console and PC then you want to fork later and accept this gives you less time to iterate/improve your custom changes. If you don't care about consistency, or about feature sets beyond point X then you fork earlier and get spend more time in custom changes and experimenting/iterating those.

- The time required for customisation (requiring a fork from the roadmap) means you can't wait.

Both are entirely reasonable. And it certainly appears that Sony had properly functioning silicon widely available to developers a while before MS did. Even Craig didn't get to run on XSX as late as this summer, while Sony was showing off Spiderman on at least partially complete PS5 hardware 18 months ago. Guess who's going to have the more impressive exclusive launch title to show off this Christmas? :D

They're both going to sell through stock into next year. I don't think that whatever delay there is in games taking advantage of platform features is going to matter that much. If Sony had launched earlier things may have been different, but they didn't.

That cost being delayed dev kits, which leads to immature dev tools, which is far from ideal.
Not only that but MS migration to GDK hasn't helped in the short term.

It could be something like SF, where PS5 has enough raw ssd performance to not only deal with textures but anything else.
So, is SF nice to have, sure, but cost and time my not have been worth it, when you also factor in their decompression strategy and cache scrubbers.

I'm expecting/hoping that we get a reasonable top level idea on Major Nelson podcast tomorrow.

It could end up being nice only from a marketing pov, or something that gives an added performance boost, to equalizing out between the two consoles.

We'd need to wait on further disclosures to know how much the RDNA2 cache architecture was altered besides the addition of another cache layer. The GCN comparison is increasingly distant, but AMD's internal GPU latencies would be in the range of 190 cycles before leaving the GPU main cache hierarchy.
RDNA may have tweaked some latencies, but there's some evidence that it wasn't substantially lower latency. There was a claim it was lower-latency, but on the back of the reduced miss rate made possible by the L1, which may be less effective if RT doesn't see significant reuse until later cache levels. In that case RDNA has an extra cache layer of undetermined latency.

Zen's L3 is between 35-40 cycles, although it's use case and structure are very different from how such a cache would be structured for RDNA2. That can go both ways, unfortunately. The CPU L3 is more tightly integrated and structured to be central to its local CUs, while the Infinity Cache is on the other side of some fabric links and spread across the outer reaches of the die. Going to fabric in AMD CPUs is tantamount to accepting latency on the order of main memory, not sure about the GPU.
The CPU pipeline would have to worry about 4.5GHz+ clocks, which lengthens the pipeline. On the other hand the GPU needs to emphasize density, and RDNA2 isn't quite as modest clock-wise as it once was, and there is some sign that there is a clock domain crossing.

Per a footnote in AMD's RDNA2 web page:
"Measurement calculated by AMD engineering, on a Radeon RX 6000 series card with 128 MB AMD Infinity Cache and 256-bit GDDR6. Measuring 4k gaming average AMD Infinity Cache hit rates of 58% across top gaming titles, multiplied by theoretical peak bandwidth from the 16 64B AMD Infinity Fabric channels connecting the Cache to the Graphics Engine at boost frequency of up to 1.94 GHz."

Being 2/3 or more of the latency of main memory would probably not shift the fortunes of the RT block if it's sensitive to that metric, or it does help and it would in part be compensating for AMD's longer RT critical loop. AMD's method has the RT hardware's node evaluation and traversal steps straddling the typically long-latency interface between the SIMD and TEX block.

There's also the possibility of some of Microsoft's customizations becoming part of a discrete GPU design. Cerny pointed to that collaboration that Sony had with AMD and how a few minor PS4 tweaks showed up in one GPU. It's likely Sony isn't the only party that this can happen for. Of course, if one console's feature shows up in a discrete product, it could be interpreted that the discrete product + vendor-specific tweak is the "full" architecture.

That possibility aside, there's a few discrepancies that have been mentioned in the past that could be other sources of a timing discrepancy or a choice to skip a feature. The inference-focused instructions could be something Microsoft waited for, although in fairness specific formats like that tend to be inconsistent among AMD GPUs.
Sony's geometry front end had some explicitly different naming, and primitive shaders were named for Sony rather than the DX12 mesh shaders. That could be the result of timing, since Mesh shaders weren't an AMD initiative and could have led to AMD's primitive shader functionality being replaced or modified. Sony may have committed prior to that transition, or decided the transition was uncompelling versus what it already had.

The other side of the semi-custom relationship, which Cerny mentioned, is that it's possible for a console's tweaks to be uncompelling to AMD. Sony's architectures have their fair share of customizations AMD didn't want to use, and the PC-side collaboration with Microsoft could mean that what Microsoft wanted would tend to be something AMD would care about.

From this, it was confirmed that 2022 was included.

AMD's projections tend to be conservative so it could be earlier or, barring a delay more serious than they expect, up to the end of 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back