The Medium [XBSX|S, PC, PS5]

Delayed.. :(

EmJ3NY2X0AMAlba

At least Observer System Redux is still scheduled for launch day.

Tommy McClain

The Medium Interview - Bloober Team on Exclusivity, Ray Tracing Support (wccftech.com)
January 4, 2021
Q: You've previously cited the next-gen Xbox's SSD as a critical factor to enable the Dual Reality gameplay. However, it doesn't seem like there is an SSD requirement on PC. Will loading times on PC be much slower than on Xbox Series S or X?

A: For PC players, SSD is recommended but not required, so yes, loading times will be increased when using an HDD. That being said there's quite a bit of difference between console and PC architecture.

To get a little more technical, PC linear transfer from a standard HDD is 100MB/s on average, while the previous generation of consoles have just a third of this value. So when you couple that with the IO cache that a PC’s operating system manages, you get loading times of only a few seconds longer than the average SSD. Sure, you’ll see some texture pop-in here and there, but you’ll still be able to enjoy The Medium from an HDD.

Q: Which ray tracing features will be available in The Medium? Are there any technical differences between the various versions in this and other regards (resolution, frame rate, etc.?)

A: We have two supported ray tracing modes for The Medium - Performance Mode that has enabled reflections and RTAO in all performant location (when only one world is rendered), and Quality Mode, which features reflections, RTAO, hybrid translucent, and some RT shadows enabled for the whole game world. The latter is paired with DLSS and some other Nvidia improvements but requires a lot of hardware power.

Q: Why did you decide to make The Medium an Xbox Series console exclusive at launch? Can you divulge the length of the exclusivity window period and once that's finished, do you have plans for other platforms?

A: It was an outcome from our relationship with Microsoft, the hardware we needed to bring our vision to life, and also how our development process aligned with Microsoft's plans for its new generation of consoles. The bottom line is that we’re really excited to be launching The Medium as one of the first Xbox Series X|S titles.

The game is coming to Xbox and PC in January, and we’re not currently concentrating on any other platforms.

Last edited:
NEver thought the consoles where that far behind even compared to HDD's in pcs. Makes the leap larger the them consoles atleast.

New footage for The Medium. Really like how this is looking so far and the vibe the game gives. Very much in spirit of the earlier Silent Hill games. Also like how it mimics the fixed camera angles of older survival-horror games but with the dynamism to camera like in Code Veronica.

All that and as well, indicating health status for the "ghost" when having an out-of-body experience by the "ghost" body gradually and dynamically flaking away is very neat. I wonder if there will be gameplay incentives to wanting to have the body break away, like maybe at a certain point you can actually phase through doors and walls otherwise inaccessible.

Is this game played all from a fixed point of view? Looks like a game I would play but I'm not a fan of stationary camera games.

extended 14 minute trailer

The game looks great in certain areas and weak in other areas (mostly object texturing). The micro-stuttering at certain points is somewhat distracting, but not game breaking. The gameplay mechanics and perspective are definitely a throwback to the original Resident Evil and Silent Hill series, however, seems more focused on exploration and storytelling, rather than combative action (which is fine by me). I will definitely pick this up for PC.

Dont find them that high... With RT things go up but otherwise a 2060/s isnt all that special anymore. 3060Ti will do for RT it seems (or a 6800xt). Guesd alex will do a video on this.

The game looks great in certain areas and weak in other areas (mostly object texturing). The micro-stuttering at certain points is somewhat distracting, but not game breaking. The gameplay mechanics and perspective are definitely a throwback to the original Resident Evil and Silent Hill series, however, seems more focused on exploration and storytelling, rather than combative action (which is fine by me). I will definitely pick this up for PC.
Yea I didn't actually play those titles, I was going to say that this immediately brought me back to Alone in the Dark once upon a time playing on my PC.
It certainly seems like a puzzler/exploration/storytelling like game which is a nice thing to change it up.

Dont find them that high... With RT things go up but otherwise a 2060/s isnt all that special anymore. 3060Ti will do for RT it seems (or a 6800xt). Guesd alex will do a video on this.
It's well beyond what most people own by percentage of the steam population. Most people still rocking 1070s, 1060s around that range as they skipped the 2000 series. 3000 might be the reason for most of those people to jump to the new card, but it's largely unavailable as well and still fairly costly. Even then, seeing where 2080 and 3080 land, it's quite heavy. PC gamers are not used to seeing 30fps.

I had a choice between 2 consoles or a 3080, and I skipped the 3080. If I had dropped the consoles for the 3080 and been told I'm still only getting 30fps, that would be a painful message to send out given that it's not yet been a year and the price tag I paid. And this next generation of games has only just started (we only just passed end of month 2 for consoles).

I know the consoles will sit well below the performance of what we see on PC, but it's painfully obvious the hey days of being able to perform well on potato machine for 1-2 generations forever is gone. It's fast and furious from day 1

I know the consoles will sit well below the performance of what we see on PC, but it's painfully obvious the hey days of being able to perform well on potato machine for 1-2 generations forever is gone.

Historically, it was only during 2013 generation you actually could only just upgrade the GPU if needed. For all other generations, you really had to upgrade every generational shift or even worse, every year to keep up. Now, a upper-mid range pc from 2018, which turns three years old this year, will tag along fine (2070/2080 class with matching CPU (2700x etc).

It's fast and furious from day 1

Like it should be, if we want progress :p As for whats available, its a mess for consoles too atm. Its certainly very hard to get ahold of PS5s ive heard.

Historically, it was only during 2013 generation you actually could only just upgrade the GPU if needed. For all other generations, you really had to upgrade every generational shift or even worse, every year to keep up. Now, a upper-mid range pc from 2018, which turns three years old this year, will tag along fine (2070/2080 class with matching CPU (2700x etc).

Like it should be, if we want progress :p As for whats available, its a mess for consoles too atm. Its certainly very hard to get ahold of PS5s ive heard.
Yea, lol, people got away with murder when it came to the CPUs.

I think we're seeing the progress due to alignment of feature sets. Previously you have this moving grey zone, but with this generation of consoles and the new GPUs, there's a very specific hardline where it's all supported or not.

Back