AMD Radeon RDNA2 Navi (RX 6500, 6600, 6700, 6800, 6900 XT)

Pardon my ignorance, but I fail to see how the AMD 6800xt beats the NVidia 3080 considering that the 6800xt has a peak performance of 20.74 TFLOPS vs the 3080 29.77 TFLOPS. the difference is almost 10 teraflops wide!

Memory performance? Tflops alone doesn’t dictate overall performance.

Last edited:
It was an interesting presentation. A little surprise that the magic cache actually was real and it seems it will be the next shift in GPU design, I expect Nvidia and Intel to make their own implementation of it. Very good for AMD.

A little dissapointed of the reference PCI, they could do a much smaller design with only a simple 256 bus. But I think they prioritize cost there.

I think the lack of RT may be due to drivers not being ready yet. If the rumors are true then the 6800s can compete with the 3080 and 3070 on RT on similar levels probably being 10/15% below which is not that much,

Talking about price...I expected more on AMD on the 6800s specially the non XT...Why should I buy a 580 VGA that competes with a 500 one(that with DLSS will perform much better...)? I know the ram is a huge factor, I made the mistake of getting a low Vram VGA(4GB) and now I which I got the 8GB one but still 80 bucks is too much I think.

I will wait for real reviews and see if it's worth the extra money.

Also very interesting to see the choose to not segment cards with less Vram. I don't quite understand why the 3 of them have the same bandwidth and size. If 16GB with 128MB are enough for the 6900XT, they are over kill for the 6800. I don't get it.

The "GPU accelerated decompression" is just shaders running on ALUs, not dedicated hardware or some such, and we've had GPU accelerated decompressors forever.
The point was that it's not "nvidia exclusive" or even anything NVIDIA did first, as your post seemed to suggest.

Don't be so sure it will always be done on shaders

The Rasterizer is strange. The Orange Block we have at Navi 10 2x times at Navi 21 we have 4 of these blocks. The 4 red blocks keep the same at Navi10 and Navi21

Navi10f16db1971aa629a1.jpg

Navi21.png

Also very interesting to see the choose to not segment cards with less Vram. I don't quite understand why the 3 of them have the same bandwidth and size. If 16GB with 128MB are enough for the 6900XT, they are over kill for the 6800. I don't get it.

They could’ve probably gotten away with 8GB on the 6800 but as it stands now they have a major differentiator vs the competition.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that maybe 'best api' means if the game supports raytracing its being used. I'm excited for previews/and reviews, matching or beating nvidia with less hardware. I wonder exactly what they'll reveal.

edit - except for the amount of ram...

Maybe it was cheaper to just buy a lot of the same memory than buy different bins ? It seems like the gpu isn't bandwidth limited with the 128megs of cache.

They could’ve probably gotten away with 8GB on the 6800 but as it stands now they have a major differentiator vs the competition.

Yeah but they could use 12GB and 192 bit. Maybe it's cheaper for them to just use the same PCB for all 3 variants and just adjust the power delivery?

It was an interesting presentation. A little surprise that the magic cache actually was real and it seems it will be the next shift in GPU design, I expect Nvidia and Intel to make their own implementation of it. Very good for AMD.

A little dissapointed of the reference PCI, they could do a much smaller design with only a simple 256 bus. But I think they prioritize cost there.

I think the lack of RT may be due to drivers not being ready yet. If the rumors are true then the 6800s can compete with the 3080 and 3070 on RT on similar levels probably being 10/15% below which is not that much,

Talking about price...I expected more on AMD on the 6800s specially the non XT...Why should I buy a 580 VGA that competes with a 500 one(that with DLSS will perform much better...)? I know the ram is a huge factor, I made the mistake of getting a low Vram VGA(4GB) and now I which I got the 8GB one but still 80 bucks is too much I think.

I will wait for real reviews and see if it's worth the extra money.
you could say intel lead the charge with this. They have had it for their chips for awhile . Heck maybe go back to the xbox 360 for amd's inspiration for it

Back