Xbox Series S [XBSS] [Release November 10 2020]

It takes approx 10TF to do 1080p60 RT.
Hence why I also mention possibily at PS5 settings (if different).
I think 900p60 RT with possibly couple reduced settings could be nicer than dropping to 720p.
I'm nitpicking, but I'm looking at 1080p60 as dynamic res with the XSX getting closer to 1080p than the PS5 at the same settings.

As for reduced RT settings, that’s interesting. I guess they can reduce the number of rays or bounces? Are the number of rays orthogonal to screen res? Will that even be noticeable at the lower res XSS uses? Will we see that (same res but lower quality RT) between PS5 and XSX, rather than the typical difference in screen res?

It'll be quite exciting to see developers eek more and more out of the hardware over the generation. Comparing early 360/Xbox One software to end of generation software could be night and day.

This is not what's expected at all. Time to triangle is at an all time low, and even initial development kits should have more features and shortcuts than ever.

Long gone are the waiting times of 5 years before we see a tranformative game in the graphics department.
For example in the PS4, the graphics quality on newer games didn't rise all that much above Infamous Second Son and Killzone Shadowfall. Both of those were released in H1 2014. We could say maybe Order 1886 was clearly better looking (or "more photoreallistic") but that was early 2015, so little more than a year after release.
On the Xbone, AFAIK there wasn't anything that much better looking than Ryse.

Well it depends on scope. Ryse looked great, but the view was pretty restricted.

I was pleasantly surprised by Witcher 3, for instance, released several years after the console was.

This is not what's expected at all. Time to triangle is at an all time low, and even initial development kits should have more features and shortcuts than ever.
PS4 was easy to develop for yet the difference between launch games and games like The Last of Us Part II and Ghost of Tsushima are immense. Easy to learn, difficult to master is the phrase that aptly applies. Software techniques and algorithms will, as always, evolve over the course of the generation.

its certainly an effective travel console. Something you can easily bring with you to a hotel/cottage/friends place, get setup and going relatively quickly.

its certainly an effective travel console. Something you can easily bring with you to a hotel/cottage/friends place, get setup and going relatively quickly.

I want see the cool backpacks people will make for it. :)

Tommy McClain

I used to do this a lot with my PS2 Slim. :yes:

Some audio company should seriously make bookshelf speakers that look identical to the XBS-S.

Regards,
SB

Cambrindge Soundworks already made the New Ensemble by Henry Floss in the 90's ...
4896286-6984__78345.1510738359.jpg

Per this it's no surprise it looks like a speaker....

The Series S, in particular, will look quite familiar to anyone who has studied the work of renowned industrial designer Dieter Rams, namely his midcentury work at Braun (like his 1958 L 2 speaker). Gary Hustwit, a documentarian who made a whole movie about Rams, spotted the similarity as quickly as we did—suggesting it was so similar that the S had to be an homage.

https://www.fastcompany.com/9055121...soft-unveils-affordable-design-for-the-masses

Tommy McClain

If you watch giant bombs unpacking of the Series consoles i think Jeff's reaction to its size sums up why this console is going to do well. I time stamped right before its opened. He is visibly shook by how small it is even after spending a minute or two talking about how small the box is and how light the box is . They do touch upon a problem with the ssd size and pricing that i agree with. $300 for 512 gig series s or $500 for a 1tb series x

Imma get one of these for the xbox one and series exclusives on xbox in a few years along with a switch pro to compliment my main ps5 unit...i hope the ssd prices for ms's proprietary storage come down in price before then cuz yeesh.

Love the form factor tho. Hard to believe theres as much power packed in there as there is.

Just imagine what size it would be if there was an external power brick. :runaway: Could it be Wii or Gamecube size? From the exploded pic below it looks like they could have gotten that Gamecube size by removing the internal power supply & using a split motherboard like the Series X. Basically the square size that bounds the round exhaust fan area. Would even allow the same port orientation as Series X. I would have been down for that.

xbox_series_s_exploded.jpg

Tommy McClain

A series s super slim i hope they prioritize over yet another more powerful sku. At a lower price this seems to be a deal that could fly off shelves. 199$?!?!?!

Probably get 2 new SKUs for Series S & X in 3 years? But yeah smaller & cheaper would be nice. But wouldn't surprise me if MS tried to maintain their "Fastest, most powerful console ever" title.

Tommy McClain

Probably get 2 new SKUs for Series S & X in 3 years? But yeah smaller & cheaper would be nice. But wouldn't surprise me if MS tried to maintain their "Fastest, most powerful console ever" title.

Tommy McClain
I suspect the cost of 5nm will make a revision a dubious proposition as the main advantage will be the power reduction rather than the traditional expected increase in yield / cost reduction that occurs with a node transition. It will take longer before 5nm is cost effective against a mature 7nm supply and/or the notion of a revision may entirely depend on how well the XSS sells i.e. whether it would make any sense to pour more R&D money into a revision for X-expected sales. The former might happen eventually as there would be some cost savings with lower power delivery and maturation of DRAM and Flash pricing, but it can't be offset by the higher cost of 5nm.

Similarly, I do believe the economics of it all will mean that a midgen upgrade ala Scorpio won't be happening, and instead they'll just wait until they can pull off a full generational leap on 3nm whenever that becomes viable. This is considering that Scorpio was a full generational node jump, and the equivalent here would be 5nm, which may be 4-5 years away for cost reasons instead of 3-4 years for 16nm, by which time it may not make sense to spend a ton of money on another low-selling high end SKU that would theoretically only be up 2-2.5x more powerful (assuming 5nm allows around double density with a minor bump in clocks and they'd spend the extra money for a similarly sized chip on a more expensive node etc.). Keeping in mind just how low the number of sales were for Scorpio and that MS are almost certainly already losing money on XSX at $499, it just doesn't make much sense to repeat.

Last edited:
We've seen MS consoles in the past move to cheaper coolers even on the same node as yields have gone up and power consumption has gone done. If you could bring power consumption down just enough to replace the heatpipe cooler with a cast aluminium block with a copper core (like an Intel stock cooler), I think XSS is going to be about as cheap as possible for years to come. With that and a 4 GB ram chip replacing the clamshell setup you could maybe save a bit on the PSU, but again that doesn't require a shrink.

Just penny pinch this thing everywhere you can. In a couple of years go to a simpler shell to save another 50c. Winner.

Back