Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

The Digital Ed looks sooooo much better.

Yeah, it's almost like the engineers made this great design then when they were finished the guys up in marketing were like, "Uh, where's the optical drive?" And the engineers were either, "Wait it's supposed to have an optical drive?" or "Ooops, we forgot something." And then they just tacked one on as a bulge since they couldn't integrate it any other way without interrupting the airflow in the design they'd already made.

Regards,
SB

Do we have the size with stand yet? I really think I can only go horizontal as my new TV stand is only 43 cms high [and 46 cms wide!

I think the main issue might be that with the Xbox triggers it was nothing more than an extra rumble point, as such it doesn’t really add much, maybe as DS5 has a more interesting feature set it might gets devs creative juices flowing more...I can hope!
It's pretty great for games that use it. You can sort of "feel the road" in racing games. I do wish it was better supported, because like you said, it's just another rumble point, so it should be sort of easy. But Microsoft hasn't ever been good at convincing 3rd part studios they need to support the custom features of their console. Almost every launch day PS3 title supported motion controls, even if everyone sort of knew it was goofey.

Damn, I was really waiting until the PS5 to play "error - does not exist."
Don't bother, that sh*t doesn't even have trophies.

Yeah, it's almost like the engineers made this great design then when they were finished the guys up in marketing were like, "Uh, where's the optical drive?" And the engineers were either, "Wait it's supposed to have an optical drive?" or "Ooops, we forgot something." And then they just tacked one on as a bulge since they couldn't integrate it any other way without interrupting the airflow in the design they'd already made.

Regards,
SB

Sony's decision to a make the cooling solution so dominant would be a reason why they wouldn't want something interrupting the airflow. The Series X has multiple components interrupting the airflow, including the optical drive. Other consoles wind up constraining the path of the airflow, blocking part of it, or restricting the size of the fan component due to the placement of the drive.
Some apparent priorities seem to be cooling, the SSD, and a larger assembly that prioritized simpler assembly and use of existing production methods (unified main board, taller console versus potentially more expensive to assemble wider/deeper).
The focus on airflow dominates much of the space in the console, and the other priorities would have encouraged a larger main board. The optical drive seems like the last non-integrated box, and it looks like it lost to those other priorities.

To be fair, Marques Brownlee's unboxing videos get a lot of views, even more than his reviews at times. Take his recent iphone 12 unboxing video, it got 10 million views whereas the phone's review got half of that.

If you take a look at his other videos apple and sony are in league of their own. PS5 video is still ticking up on viewcount as it's fresh. To me it's kind of surprising ps5 video might reach his apple video viewcounts as there is maybe 100 million playstation owners versus the billion+ apple device owners(counting phones, tablets,...). It's cool if ps5 can reach similar audience as much more mainstream apple products.

When the tear down video came out, I said that it looks like you can use PS5 without the stand and like literally everyone that unbox it simply let it stand without it. For horizontal placement you do need the stand if you don't want it to be wobbly (at least for the disc version, not sure for the online only version).
So if you want to shave few mm, just don't use the stand. It might be less quake and cat proof tho and your filthy desk will make a contact to the PS5 directly.

When the tear down video came out, I said that it looks like you can use PS5 without the stand and like literally everyone that unbox it simply let it stand without it. For horizontal placement you do need the stand if you don't want it to be wobbly (at least for the disc version, not sure for the online only version).
So if you want to shave few mm, just don't use the stand. It might be less quake and cat proof tho and your filthy desk will make a contact to the PS5 directly.

Same! I will be keeping mine vertically without the base.

All these positive impressions about the haptic feedback in the DualSense controller are really encouraging!

An aquatince of mine who is a dev said I think in the beginning of the year out of the blue that the controller was really cool. That's all he said, never spoke about performance or anything, no one would ask him out of respect because of NDAs but he just blurted that out about the controller which I found interesting.

Same! I will be keeping mine vertically without the base.

You crazy, brave bastard. Or to put it another one, yes it'll stand upright unaided but I'm sure Sony didn't have their engineers design the stand for dual-orientation because their engineers had run out of things to design! ;-)

Particularly if you interacting with the console, i.e using discs!

You crazy, brave bastard. Or to put it another one, yes it'll stand upright unaided but I'm sure Sony didn't have their engineers design the stand for dual-orientation because their engineers had run out of things to design! ;-)

Particularly if you interacting with the console, i.e using discs!

Well the way I think I’d position it, there wouldn’t really be anywhere for it to topple over and fall down, so it’s all good! I’m just still not sure if it will actually fit where I’m thinking of putting it...

Well the way I think I’d position it, there wouldn’t really be anywhere for it to topple over and fall down, so it’s all good! I’m just still not sure if it will actually fit where I’m thinking of putting it...
I obsessively looked at furniture and TVs earlier this year with a view to accommodating both nextgen consoles. I eventually settled on the IKEA HEMNES TV stand and 55" LG OLED having made sure the PS5 could stand next to the TV. I now realise that the PS5 could actually fit horizontally under the TV as well but I think it just looks decent vertical.

Also, them sitting there with the Sony guy looking at them in the room going "we thought this was bullshit, we totally thought this was some marketing bullshit (SORRY MAN), but it really isn't!". Brilliant, they're so cute.

... I’m just still not sure if it will actually fit where I’m thinking of putting it...
2FoIgt4.jpg

Back