Devil May Cry V [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC]

Obviously you never experienced being isekai'd.
Anyway, they said near-photorealistic (before RT) to "a new level of unparalleled visual splendour" (after RT).
XsS doesn't get the unparalleled visual splendour tho. Lucky for them, it is at least near-photorealistic.

I guess it’s ‘near photoreal’ if you’re on acid? Which of course I have never done, I don’t condone drugs use but I heard from a friend that DMC5 is basically like a bad acid trip? A near-photorealistic acid trip.

Seems a bit weird. If games like Watchdogs Legion can have RT on XSS, then surely this can too? The RT+60hz would definitely be problematic. RT+30hz should be fine?

Seems a bit weird. If games like Watchdogs Legion can have RT on XSS, then surely this can too? The RT+60hz would definitely be problematic. RT+30hz should be fine?

This all depends on what RT variations (e.g., lighting, shadowing, refractions, reflections, etc.), sample size, complexity and quality that's being used. Maybe Watch_Dogs Legion RT on Series S isn't as complex as the XBSX/PS5, and works well within a 1080p-1440p/30fps budget. While DMC 5 just ain't happening regardless of how much paring back is applied.

One thing is for sure, the amount of content from Digital Foundry and NX Gamer will definitely be more interesting than this generation of gaming.

I guess it’s ‘near photoreal’ if you’re on acid? Which of course I have never done, I don’t condone drugs use but I heard from a friend that DMC5 is basically like a bad acid trip? A near-photorealistic acid trip.

I guess that's true if one takes acid on a Hot Topic store.

This all depends on what RT variations (e.g., lighting, shadowing, refractions, reflections, etc.), sample size, complexity and quality that's being used. Maybe Watch_Dogs Legion RT on Series S isn't as complex as the XBSX/PS5, and works well within a 1080p-1440p/30fps budget. While DMC 5 just ain't happening regardless of how much paring back is applied.

One thing is for sure, the amount of content from Digital Foundry and NX Gamer will definitely be more interesting than this generation of gaming.
Or maybe the GDK is even further behind for the XSS including profiling tools.
Considering the lack of seeing games running on even the XSX, obviously seen a couple now, but still.

Even if had to forgo RT reflections on XSS, I'd be more interested to see just how much affect it has in real world visuals.

It's unfortunate for sure. I'm not writing off the XBSS on one game though. Like Jay says maybe it's an immature GDK. I will wait it out & see if they update the game later and see how other games handle it too.

Tommy McClain

No RT. The console isn't even out, yet there goes the "it's the same graphics but at 1440p or FHD" premise for the Series S.
Looks like CAPCOM didn't want the SeriesS to render at 900p or lower.

How does the SeriesS compare to the One X then?
Seems like the right choice. I tried DXR on at 720p with a 1070. I would prefer much smoother frame rates with it off and 1080p.

Beware, this is Watchdogs we are talking about. The first game was supposed to be 1080p on PS4. Besides I don't think the footage they showed was running on a XSS. It was never confirmed by Ubisoft.

I'll be honest in saying it's pretty confusing for me too.
I respect that they gave Series S RT hardware for the rare cases that perhaps they wanted it to be the baseline feature and they were using it for some weird hybrid techniques. But I never expected it to be used... on Series S as more than an augmentation. It's rated at about Geforce 1660 level, not even 1660TI. And nvidia only provides RT features on 2060 and above. I am still shocked to see it on Watchdogs.

Or maybe the GDK is even further behind for the XSS including profiling tools.
Considering the lack of seeing games running on even the XSX, obviously seen a couple now, but still.

Even if had to forgo RT reflections on XSS, I'd be more interested to see just how much affect it has in real world visuals.
This is the console to watch honestly.
lol

way more interesting than seeing PS5 and XSX to duke it out. How does the little one scale

I think it requires effort and until MS sells a boatload of them most devs won't bother. Either the $299 price point will matter or it won't. Time will tell.

Apparently by disabling the one graphics feature that should define the next generation of consoles.
Well. Yes. This generation of consoles or even the current pc space is far from a true ray traced title.
This generation will be defined by its cpu and ssd more than it will by it’s ray tracing and 4K.

I'll be honest in saying it's pretty confusing for me too.
I respect that they gave Series S RT hardware for the rare cases that perhaps they wanted it to be the baseline feature and they were using it for some weird hybrid techniques. But I never expected it to be used...
The benefit of having RT hardware is that it can be used for multiple tasks not just reflections.
Example being audio.
So even if RT reflections are out, it doesn't mean other RT effects are also, things like that will be fleshed out during the optimization stages

Like you, where the XSS is positioned I'm more interested in how it performs and looks in real world, to see if the value proposition adds up and where devs scales for each title.

I'm also not judging XSX based on the little that we've seen.

A refresher on how things stood before this became special: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...l-may-cry-5-tech-analysis-all-consoles-tested

Curiously, the standard PlayStation 4 seems to be the only version rendering at a native resolution - in this case, 1080p. The vanilla Xbox One achieves a similar look, but uses a reconstruction technique to get the job done - but despite this, the impact to quality up against PS4's native presentation is slight. Reconstruction techniques are also used on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, delivering 1800p and 2160p respectively. Anti-aliasing quality seems slightly improved on the X, and the Pro can shimmer slightly in some spots, with an interlacing-style artefact.

For gameplay, 60fps is the target and three of the four consoles mostly deliver here. PS4, PS4 Pro and Xbox One X are mostly locked, but screen-filling, bandwidth-sapping alpha effects can see the game falter. It's Xbox One X that is impacted the most, though the effects are fleeting, while the Pro and base PlayStation 4 are a touch smoother.

The Sony machine runs a touch smoother, while X boosts resolution and anti-aliasing quality. Where it matters though - in terms of the fun factor - either is highly recommended.

Poor performance. I ask myself why they did so much things using raytracing.

Why use it for illumination too, very strange choice.

EDIT: and why this shit

- If the game detects your display supports 120Hz, it will ONLY output in the resolutions that the 120Hz mode supports. For example, if you have a 4K TV that does 120Hz in 1080p, you'll never be able to run the game at 4K, only 1080p.
- If you have a 120Hz display, the game will run all modes uncapped up to 120Hz. There are no locked, stable frame rate options.

Last edited:
Back