The current state of online and digital titles [2020] *spawn*

John is still stuck on discs & carts. Gaming is going to take him kicking & screaming into the digital age & he may not make it.

OldManYellsAtCloud.jpg

Tommy McClain

I'm not as headstrong as John is on this tactic. I'll probably be one of the last converters to game pass on earth. I love my physical units. I've relented on PC games. My last physical for that either Diablo 3 or Max Payne 3. If that is all that is left for me to consume games, then I just have no other choice. until then, I'll buy physical.

John is still stuck on discs & carts. Gaming is going to take him kicking & screaming into the digital age & he may not make it.

OldManYellsAtCloud.jpg

Tommy McClain
Some of us, including me, don't want streaming services to decide when and what I can watch and even less to subscribe to half a dozen services to get decent coverage of different studios.

Many games om blu ray cant be played without being online/patch? Aside from that, digital stores like steam have existed forever with the ability to download and keep a copy on an HDD etc. I think those concerns are abit ungrounded nowadays.... Sony also moves into that direction.

Many games om blu ray cant be played without being online/patch? Aside from that, digital stores like steam have existed forever with the ability to download and keep a copy on an HDD etc. I think those concerns are abit ungrounded nowadays.... Sony also moves into that direction.
Games possibly, movies is a whole another story.

There have been DVD and BluRay movies that required the player to be patched to newer copy protection schemes. When I was at my sister's I remember a couple times where they couldn't play a newly purchased movie and I had to go through the update firmware process for their bluray player after setting up networking for the device.

This is but one reason that gave rise to PC software like SlyFox and then RedFox AnyDVD HD.

Digital stores can go bankrupt and close down. My bluray discs will work regardless.

Has Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft gone bankrupt? When do you think this supposed bankruptcy happen? 5 years, 10 years or 20 years? I will be unto the next thing or long gone when that happens. I'm not worried about it. I have other things to worry about. While you're worrying, I'll be enjoying my games.

Tommy McClain

As far as I know this is only the inline element, I can’t think of any offline games that can’t be played.

Has Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft gone bankrupt? When do you think this supposed bankruptcy happen? 5 years,
huh very strange statement
companies have many multiple times over the past stopped letting ppl play game X because the servers or whatever have gone offline, 99% it has nothing to do with the company going bankrupt but for other reasons, usually its not profitable anymore

huh very strange statement
companies have many multiple times over the past stopped letting ppl play game X because the servers or whatever have gone offline, 99% it has nothing to do with the company going bankrupt but for other reasons, usually its not profitable anymore

@Kaotik was message that I was replying to was about digital stores going bankrupt. You're bringing another different argument.

Digital games are not just games that require a server to play. A good portion of digital stores have single-player games that don't require a server. If an online-only game gets shutdown that's understandable because its whole premise is based on connecting you with other players & it has to be profitable to continue the service. Even if you have the disc it won't matter. Physical in that instance nets you nothing.

Tommy McClain

Some of us, including me, don't want streaming services to decide when and what I can watch and even less to subscribe to half a dozen services to get decent coverage of different studios.
Not commenting on the first part, as that's completely a timed rights issue between the streaming service and the rights holder, and market conditions / economic realities that enable the motivation (usually financial) for media to be licensed. But the second part, that's exactly describing the exclusive content console gamers love. The LOVE that platform Y had "better exclusives". I've been what I call an "everything gamer" my whole adult life, where I will play any game on only platform as long as I find it fun. I would say that's the same thing for movies. I own 2000+ movies on DVD/Bluray/HDDVD and hundreds more on VHS. And no, I haven'r watched them all. But there are more than a few movies that are not available on physical media, including some that have never really been made available. There's a Steve Guttenberg movie called "Don't Tell Her It's Me" from the 1990s that was only available at home via VHS rental until a year or two ago. Legit VHS copies were hundreds of dollars, but it's $20 now on DVD, and I'm not even sure it's a US copy, just a movie that happens to be region free. But it's available to stream via Amazon Prime. It's just a movie that isn't well known enough to have ever been financially viable for a home release. So sometimes it's the physical media holding you back.

Has Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft gone bankrupt? When do you think this supposed bankruptcy happen? 5 years, 10 years or 20 years? I will be unto the next thing or long gone when that happens. I'm not worried about it. I have other things to worry about. While you're worrying, I'll be enjoying my games.

Tommy McClain
I used to own maybe 15 or 20 titles I bought from the Games for Windows store. MS closed that down, and some of my games (Batman Arkham Asylum and Dead Rising 2 among others) I was able to transfer to Steam using my CD key. But Age of Empires 3 and Shadowrun.... Those are gone forever. I paid 10 MS points each for those when they were having some ridiculous sales, and I'll never get those 20 points back!

Seriously, though, sometimes things happen. Doesn't matter how big and unkillable a company may seam, things can happen could cause the closure of a digital storefront. I mean, with all this talk about loot box regulation, what if a government steps in and prevents EA, Valve, or any other company from doing business in your country? Then what?

As far as I know this is only the inline element, I can’t think of any offline games that can’t be played.
Every Call of Duty since I think Advanced Warfare requires connection to the internet before the game can be launched on Xbox One or PS4. I work at an independent video game store, and the amount of returns I get from people who have tried to save a buck by shutting off their cable and just using a phone hotspot because they only play single player games, only to find out they have to download a system update to connect to Live/PSN, and then 100GB or more for the newest Modern Warfare patch...
I have no idea if it's true, at least not the more salacious parts, but I've heard that Activision "lost" a couple of pallets of Advanced Warfare in shipping, and they ended up on the black market and people were playing it early, and the day one patch policy was an easy way to enforce street dates. But maybe they just want to enforce street dates because of retailers breaking them.

I think there was a Need For Speed game also that needed a day one patch before it would launch.

Every Call of Duty since I think Advanced Warfare requires connection to the internet before the game can be launched on Xbox One or PS4. I work at an independent video game store, and the amount of returns I get from people who have tried to save a buck by shutting off their cable and just using a phone hotspot because they only play single player games, only to find out they have to download a system update to connect to Live/PSN, and then 100GB or more for the newest Modern Warfare patch...
I have no idea if it's true, at least not the more salacious parts, but I've heard that Activision "lost" a couple of pallets of Advanced Warfare in shipping, and they ended up on the black market and people were playing it early, and the day one patch policy was an easy way to enforce street dates. But maybe they just want to enforce street dates because of retailers breaking them.

I think there was a Need For Speed game also that needed a day one patch before it would launch.
Ok so 99.5% of games work without internet then.

Ok so 99.5% of games work without internet then.
There are also games like Spyro's trilogy that I think only have the first game on the disc, with the rest needing to be downloaded. And a bunch of stuff on Switch that doesn't have the full game on the cart because publishers want to use the smallest ROM size. That same Spyro collection, the Borderlands collection, Lego City Undercover, and I think MK 11. I'm sure there are a bunch more on Switch that I don't know about. Switch has the worst physical releases without a working full game in the box problem of all the current consoles, but I expect next gen to be even worse.

It’s a poor show but I guess these games must be clearly labelled as such. I honestly don’t think the type of thing above should happen but we are where we are I guess

It’s a poor show but I guess these games must be clearly labelled as such. I honestly don’t think the type of thing above should happen but we are where we are I guess
internetrequired-1490721611265_610w.jpg

Small text on the bottom, no mention of storage space requirements on the front. PS4 and Xbox One games have about the same size notification, but proportional to the case size.

I used to own maybe 15 or 20 titles I bought from the Games for Windows store. MS closed that down, and some of my games (Batman Arkham Asylum and Dead Rising 2 among others) I was able to transfer to Steam using my CD key. But Age of Empires 3 and Shadowrun.... Those are gone forever. I paid 10 MS points each for those when they were having some ridiculous sales, and I'll never get those 20 points back!

Seriously, though, sometimes things happen. Doesn't matter how big and unkillable a company may seam, things can happen could cause the closure of a digital storefront. I mean, with all this talk about loot box regulation, what if a government steps in and prevents EA, Valve, or any other company from doing business in your country? Then what?

Yep, things happen. Games for Windows closure is a travesty & rightly got shit for it. Microsoft had a lot of missteps in 2013 with that shutdown & the Xbox One launch. But because of that we got backward compatibility on Xbox One & 1st party games on Windows 10 & Steam. Both are so ingrained in this next-gen & I don't see that happening again. Can it? Anything is possible, but I believe we're so deep into the digital generation that if they tried to shutdown a digital store again there would be many lawsuits & the feds called in.

Tommy McClain

the SUWI app for redownloading P.T. silent hills demo has been updated, and yes, it still work in 2020. Probably gonna work for PS5 too, as I don't see any changes in PSN back end.

after installation, follow this nice tutorial by eurogamer

Back