Gamestop Announces Strategic partner ship with Microsoft

Retail across the board is dwindling and the niche that is videogames stores has been shrinking faster than most other types of retail which is the inevitable consequence of video games content favouring digital-only over physical.

While that doesn't mean the physical market is completely dead, it does call into question whether running a nationwide retail chain is a cost effective way to deal with them when other options like Walmart and other outlets cater to that market already and are doing better by virtue of diversity of products.

I agree. They don't need retail stores, despite how nice an experience that would be for some, it's not required. Strike some deals with existing retail stores (or even Kinko's / FedEx centers) to handle advanced returns and replacements.

I'm listening, you're just not saying anything that changes my view. Retail across the board is dwindling and the niche that is videogames stores has been shrinking faster than most other types of retail which is the inevitable consequence of video games content favouring digital-only over physical.

While that doesn't mean the physical market is completely dead, it does call into question whether running a nationwide retail chain is a cost effective way to deal with them when other options like Walmart and other outlets cater to that market already and are doing better by virtue of diversity of products.

I agree. They don't need retail stores, despite how nice an experience that would be for some, it's not required. Strike some deals with existing retail stores (or even Kinko's / FedEx centers) to handle advanced returns and replacements.

The retail that is dying is clothing retailers. There is still space for other types of retail. Apple stores even now are packed every day of the week.

Walmart is not going to want to be a service hub for microsoft products. They can take that same foot print and devote it to high margin products. MS already aproached best buy but that has stalled out.

I couldn't tell you where a kinkos or fedex is near me. The ups store is popular here but again its on par with gamestop.

Apple stores even now are packed every day of the week.

Where does Apple make the most of their money? Hardware, software, or services? Or what products have the highest margins?

The only way a small store for Microsoft works is if they have a lot of high margins products that they sell a lot of. Microsoft hardware doesn't attract the same type of customers as Apple & there are a lot fewer of them. They don't have the kind of market share as Apple in anything other than their OS, Office & cloud services. Microsoft rightly closed their retail stores. They're not Apple & never will be. They don't need to be, to be successful either. Same reason why Phil decided to not compete with Sony & do their own thing in gaming. They will look more like Amazon & Google in 10 or more years. Neither of which are really trying to get real serious in brick & mortar. Microsoft needs to buy a drone company & partner with Walmart or Target to take on Amazon. LOL Let successful brick & mortars companies do that work. Then Microsoft can do what they do best: the business backend with cloud & software services.

Tommy McClain

Where does Apple make the most of their money? Hardware, software, or services? Or what products have the highest margins?

The only way a small store for Microsoft works is if they have a lot of high margins products that they sell a lot of. Microsoft hardware doesn't attract the same type of customers as Apple & there are a lot fewer of them. They don't have the kind of market share as Apple in anything other than their OS, Office & cloud services. Microsoft rightly closed their retail stores. They're not Apple & never will be. They don't need to be, to be successful either. Same reason why Phil decided to not compete with Sony & do their own thing in gaming. They will look more like Amazon & Google in 10 or more years. Neither of which are really trying to get real serious in brick & mortar. Microsoft needs to buy a drone company & partner with Walmart or Target to take on Amazon. LOL Let successful brick & mortars companies do that work. Then Microsoft can do what they do best: the business backend with cloud & software services.

Tommy McClain

MS has a lot of high margin products the surface line is that and its a multi billion dollar market product family that continues to increase . Bringing in that high margin product into a store much smaller than what they had will make the stores successful .

FYI Amazon have 3 lines of Stores. Amazon Books , Amazon Go and Amazon 4 star.

Amazon took on the book store by being more like walden books vs barnes and noble. Small foot print stores a fraction of the size of borders or barnes and noble. Amazon 4 star is roughly the size of their book stores. The books were a way to get people in the door to buy amazon products that were tied to subscriptions that were high profit and a way for people to see and try the product before they purchased. It also allowed for a drop off area for returns.

MS has a lot of high margin products the surface line is that and its a multi billion dollar market product family that continues to increase . Bringing in that high margin product into a store much smaller than what they had will make the stores successful .

I still don't see enough market penetration on the PC side to warrant a whole store dedicated to that one product line. They're better off getting their own corner in a Best Buy or Walmart if they want a retail presence.

FYI Amazon have 3 lines of Stores. Amazon Books , Amazon Go and Amazon 4 star.

I still don't think Amazon are real serious about brick & mortar. Dabbling in it yeah. If they start buying old malls/Sears/JCPenney stores for warehouses that has been theorized, then they are getting serious. I won't be surprised if Amazon Books or 4 Star last after the holiday or COVID. Guess we'll see next year how Amazon weather the current retail climate.

Tommy McClain

I still don't think Amazon are real serious about brick & mortar. Dabbling in it yeah. If they start buying old malls/Sears/JCPenney stores for warehouses that has been theorized, then they are getting serious. I won't be surprised if Amazon Books or 4 Star last after the holiday or COVID. Guess we'll see next year how Amazon weather the current retail climate.
I also don't think Amazon want to be in the high street but I bet Amazon have data showing that people look at products, look at delivery times then don't order those products and the stores are there to serve that segment who want products faster. I order an insane amount from Amazon because they make it so easy but when I can't get something urgent for same day or next day delivery, I'm going to retail. The last thing Amazon want their customers doing is walking into a competing retail chain because who knows what bargains you might see there.

Surface is up 37% yoy this quarter according to just released earnings. Surface is becoming a bigger and bigger part of microsofts business and they have more surface device types coming out over the next year or two.

Surface is up 37% yoy this quarter according to just released earnings. Surface is becoming a bigger and bigger part of microsofts business and they have more surface device types coming out over the next year or two.

Microsoft attributed this blip to new devices being launched in the last quarter, rather than the usual fall launch.

Context is important. :yep2:

I hope MS forces GS to ship the consoles to people at home in Europe because we are very close to a new lockdown. Not possible to receive the console at the phisical shop.

Last edited:
Microsoft attributed this blip to new devices being launched in the last quarter, rather than the usual fall launch.

Context is important. :yep2:

had to sell a lot considering the go laptop and the surface pro x didn't release until the 12th of oct. Unless it was the duo doing all those sales

had to sell a lot considering the go laptop and the surface pro x didn't release until the 12th of oct. Unless it was the duo doing all those sales
Older models were selling at very appealing prices. I even considered one!

When Microsoft approach the point of launching new Surface hardware and have old stock sitting around they typically the older stuff on promotion in the run up, this has a two-fold effect: they sell a bunch of old hardware, then they sell a bunch of new hardware to people who particularly like they type of product.

You follow now? You didn't listen to the investor call did you? :nope:

When Microsoft approach the point of launching new Surface hardware and have old stock sitting around they typically the older stuff on promotion in the run up, this has a two-fold effect: they sell a bunch of old hardware, then they sell a bunch of new hardware to people who particularly like they type of product.

You follow now? You didn't listen to the investor call did you? :nope:

Its a YOY increase for the quarter. Last year they launched more products and had similar sales on older devices. Last year they launched the pro 7 , laptop 3 (13 and a new 15 inch) and pro x . This year they launched new skus of the pro x and the surface laptop go.

I did listen to the call.

Its a YOY increase for the quarter. Last year they launched more products and had similar sales on older devices. Last year they launched the pro 7 , laptop 3 (13 and a new 15 inch) and pro x . This year they launched new skus of the pro x and the surface laptop go. I did listen to the call.
If you listened to the call you'll know that Microsoft specifically said that last year they launched new Surface devices in the following quarter! Hence the quarterly YOY blip. Listen to it again.

Back