Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

So I'm just gonna say, the aesthetic/design language of PS5 is really likable. But I felt that way the first time they showed it off. It's the actual size where my issues come into play. It's just almost comically large; maybe a different approach to the motherboard design and arrangement (while still having things function the way they'd want) could've helped in getting the physical footprint smaller.

Some of the shots, particularly if you lay it horizontal, make it look better on the physical footprint front, but vertically it's something of a Goliath. Ultimately I don't think this is going to bother the hardcore or most core gamers too much, but I can already see them planning for a slim model for the early stages even at this time, because I'm curious how casuals and mainstream types will take to the size of this (maybe they won't really care all that much.

There's also the subconscious signaling that if you make it look bigger, people'll think it's powerful. You know, American muscle car kind of thinking, but systems like the Turbographx-16 were designed with that in mind too (to not-stellar results for that system, sadly).

That’s the word! It’s pretty comical just how humongous the thing is.

I do wonder how many revisions Sony must have gone through to finally decide that this size was good to go?

Kinda Funny's Greg Miller detailed how Sony's achievement system will function on the PS5 during a preview of Astro's Playroom. According to his preview, the PS5 now captures a short video of your in-game efforts when you unlock a Trophy.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps5-automatically-records-a-video-when-you-unlock-a-trophy/1100-6483802/

With minimal space on the PS5, I will be turning the feature off if I can.

Haha, first review I see putting on the stand in verticle mode, and she almost loses the screw cap cover. :LOL:

Last edited:
well, to be fair, if you're on xbox, you got burned this gen. Almost no one took advantage of the rumble triggers especially in the third party space. And they are pretty fun to use. Only Forza took advantage of it lol and I think Halo. Each trigger pull for a gun could have had distinctive pops. It would have been perfect for a game like destiny where each trigger had a slightly different rumble, combined with rumbling the controller etc. This is going to be a much better generation if everyone is going to do it.
Shadow of the Tomb Raider supported the ruble triggers also. The PC version does not, though. At least not that I could find settings for. I played the game first on Xbox and bought it again for PC when I got an RTX. Missed the rumble triggers more than I thought I would, but the framerate and image quality on PC kept me from switching back.

That’s the word! It’s pretty comical just how humongous the thing is.

I do wonder how many revisions Sony must have gone through to finally decide that this size was good to go?

Would love to know that myself; I feel miffed sometimes knowing we don't get as much a look into Sony's various design prototypes compared to MS, Nintendo, or especially SEGA (tho them not being a main platform holder probably helps in us having gotten access to more of their prototype designs compared to others), but for PS5 in particular there's...lots of things, I'd love to get the inside track on pertaining to the design and engineering process.

It's never gonna happen, but we can dream.

Kinda Funny's Greg Miller detailed how Sony's achievement system will function on the PS5 during a preview of Astro's Playroom. According to his preview, the PS5 now captures a short video of your in-game efforts when you unlock a Trophy.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps5-automatically-records-a-video-when-you-unlock-a-trophy/1100-6483802/

Maybe they record it at 480p, or the user can set the resolution for the clip recording? That would help with managing the size that'd be taken up while still keeping the feature in use. Because it sounds like a pretty cool feature.

As long as they don't automatically share it to your activity feed too. That was tried and done on the XBox One console and the community hated it to much that they ripped that feature out completely and made it so games no longer do so. They had some intermediate steps where it was selectable behavior. The gaming community still absolutely hated it. The finally removed it completely.

I just remembered that PS4 now takes a screenshot whenever I get a trophy, and I don't think I've ever deleted any, so I must have thousands of snaps sitting on my PS4 taking up space!

I just remembered that PS4 now takes a screenshot whenever I get a trophy, and I don't think I've ever deleted any, so I must have thousands of snaps sitting on my PS4 taking up space!
Yep, I definitely haven't deleted any of mine. I've actually shared one, I think it was the Ghost of Tshushima platinum one, oh and maybe TLOU2.

Do we have the size with stand yet? I really think I can only go horizontal as my new TV stand is only 43 cms high [and 46 cms wide!

well, to be fair, if you're on xbox, you got burned this gen. Almost no one took advantage of the rumble triggers especially in the third party space. And they are pretty fun to use. Only Forza took advantage of it lol and I think Halo. Each trigger pull for a gun could have had distinctive pops. It would have been perfect for a game like destiny where each trigger had a slightly different rumble, combined with rumbling the controller etc. This is going to be a much better generation if everyone is going to do it.

I think the main issue might be that with the Xbox triggers it was nothing more than an extra rumble point, as such it doesn’t really add much, maybe as DS5 has a more interesting feature set it might gets devs creative juices flowing more...I can hope!

it's fun if you have another friend to just time trial the heck out of a course to see who can win the lap time.
for some reason I was always under the assumption WRC series was codemasters as well

wrt the video, lol music really throwing me off. Not sure if i'm rallying or watching Inception

WRC 9 on PS5

Edit: looking boring as hell

Why did they pick this music xD? It really doesn't fit the tone of the game, makes me feel like I'm driving my last mission in a spy thriller before the "long sunset".

Looks visually nice though.

Probably saved as a high res GIF - 250MB for 10 seconds :runaway:

That could work. There wouldn't be any sound, but they could record the sound separately (if it's even important to record the sound for such a feature).

I guess this is why I still have no preorder for ps5
The Japanese tech company pre-sold as many PS5 consoles in the first 12 hours in the United States as in the first 12 weeks for its predecessor PlayStation 4 device, Jim Ryan, CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment, said in an interview.
“The demand as expressed by the level of pre-order has been has been very, very considerable,” Ryan told Reuters.
“It may well be that not everybody who wants to buy a PS5 on launch day will be able to find one,” said Ryan, adding the company is “working as hard as we ever can” to ensure supply for the year-end shopping season.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ps5-demand-ahead-of-launch-idUSKBN27C2P5?il=0

Back