Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Best of luck to them. GamePass was not enough to make Bleeding Edge a thing unfortunately. no such thing as sure fire win, even if free.

Sony’s answer to auto HDR? They blend separate images from a frame buffer for a target color space.

https://www.freepatentsonline.com/WO2020213367A1.html

edit: Seems mostly focused on enhancing legibility of UI elements and text in the Japanese patent, so I don’t want to overstate the importance.

Perhaps useful for PS1 and PS2 games, the UI legibility of which would dramatically suffer on a 4K screen, given the number of <480p games.

Kinda rubbish really. It plays at up to 60fps on the Pro. The PS5 should be running it at up to 60fps in the favour resolution mode. I'll certainly be doing another playthrough of GoW on the PS5, but it looks like I'll be waiting for another patch.

Edit: it's just occurred to me... this is going to be Spider-fucking-Man all over again. It's going to see another release at £40 with the justification of using higher fidelity assets, in spite of those assets having been created for the sequel they're selling for £70.

Last edited:
Perhaps useful for PS1 and PS2 games, the UI legibility of which would dramatically suffer on a 4K screen, given the number of <480p games.

Kinda rubbish really. It plays at up to 60fps on the Pro. The PS5 should be running it at up to 60fps in the favour resolution mode. I'll certainly be doing another playthrough of GoW on the PS5, but it looks like I'll be waiting for another patch.

Edit: it's just occurred to me... this is going to be Spider-fucking-Man all over again. It's going to see another release at £40 with the justification of using higher fidelity assets, in spite of those assets having been created for the sequel they're selling for £70.

Isn't this what Sony did with the Last of us ? Released on the ps3 and then a re-mastered on the ps4 ? At least with Spider-man there is new content to enjoy

Anyway AMD used to have a FSAA tech where they would blend multiple frames together for better fsaa ?

Looks like XSX doesn’t support Dolby Vision for UHD playback either. At least not “TV-led” Dolby Vision. Hopefully we get an answer from Sony soon.

I believe MS is still working out this aspect, it was expected to arrive, but was delayed until 2021 or so. Not sure if they are going to follow through on their promise for X1X and now leeching into an issue with Xbox Series.

It was really informative, but I guess I'm confused as to why the bluray players can just send the whole thing to the TV, for TV-led DV? Why must they apply their own garbage on it?

I believe MS is still working out this aspect, it was expected to arrive, but was delayed until 2021 or so. Not sure if they are going to follow through on their promise for X1X and now leeching into an issue with Xbox Series.

It was really informative, but I guess I'm confused as to why the bluray players can just send the whole thing to the TV, for TV-led DV? Why must they apply their own garbage on it?

Because tone mapping in modern devices is the two Spider-Mans pointing meme.

Back