The Last of Us (Part) 2 [PS4]

Will Sony delay release of The Last Of Us 2 because of CoronaVirus Pandemic?

• Yes.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't be silly.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Indeed, if you don't want to making loading times a priority, then yea, it can totally suck.
We know that the HDD ins sock PS4/Pro consoles had a minimum performance of 50Mb/sec throughput and we know the from Insomniac Spider-Man post-mortem that they had to hedge on 20Mb/sec because enough people used really slow drives in their consoles which may explain why there wasn't much emphasis put on tuning loading because I/O was a joker card. But I still think this is more of a result of newer tools deigned to help eek the maximum performance out of Sony's PS5 I/O system. I really hope Sony revisit many of their other first party games and introduce performance tweaks to further improve B/C performance.

maybe someone is just looking more closer at some code and fixed something, now Im getting ready to release a demo, so are reviewing stuff, FWIW about a week ago
I was looking at my code where it loads any txt files, seems like I was performing an unnecessary data validation step in there
removing it improved game startup time from ~5.5secs to 2 secs!!! gah over the last 3-4 years I have prolly started the game up 10s of thousands of times (Im not exaggerating) the problem is 5 secs is not long enuf so like Im twidling the fingers so I wasnt too concerned but now Im like how many hours have I wasted waiting :LOL:

It seems it is general to all the patched game.

I could imagine some of the OS level improvements for the filesystem can relatively easily be applied to the PS4 as well. Would make sense to me.
It's an interesting one, the timing of the patches appearing after the firmware 8.0 update suggests something high-up in the I/O system has been changed, perhaps some routines previously tied to hardware timers have been unleashed. Until Dawn is seemingly much faster without a patch but what about The Last of Us Remastered? Was that faster before the recent patch and nobody noticed, or was it the patch they unlocked it?

This is definitely promising for faster loading speeds of PS4 games on PS5 though. I'm willing to invest in a good 4Tb SSD to hang off the PS5 if the performance improvement over a HDD warrants it.

But several times faster? That’s huge.

I hope we get more info on what changed in 8.0 but I think they've bound some I/O systems and let them run free. You often don't want to do this in a desktop O/S because you want consistent and predictable performance across all the apps the OS is running but on a console, those are limited. Conventional wisdom is not take a chance as I/O is critical, but perhaps Sony do have some decent tools and have used them to test their own I/O system on PS4 and found it's not problematic.

WTF the difference between Game of the Year and Ultimate Game of the Year? Is there a Plus Ultra Game of the Year?

Back