Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
DF talking about the latest footage of Miles Morales:

Looking very good! And this is the first time I’ve been able to play a 4K video on my iPhone! Must have been the latest update.

Great video as always. Insomniac's SM:MM RT solution looks damn impressive for a first next-generation game. Funny how 2yrs back, the vast majority of people thought RT wasn't going to be a thing on the next-generation of consoles, especially on AMD based hardware. Now here we are... :LOL:

I wouldn't say it looks nextgen but for sure impressive lineup title

No not in the normal rendering, but the ray tracing is a next gen feature. BFV without RT or with is a very huge difference too. RT is one of the defining next gen features.
I think more next gen is demon souls, but spiderman is open world and also on PS4.

No not in the normal rendering, but the ray tracing is a next gen feature. BFV without RT or with is a very huge difference too. RT is one of the defining next gen features.
I think more next gen is demon souls, but spiderman is open world and also on PS4.

This is all the improvement on PS5 better character model, strand based hair and facial animation, more destruction and raytracing.

This is all the improvement on PS5

Yes you have shared this many times before. Its impressive, like BFV i tested going from low/med settings to ultra with RT at 60fps 4k, from current to next gen graphics. Spiderman basically also shows cross gen can work if done right. Same for horizon and other cross gen titles. its probably alot more effort but you reach a larger market.

Yes you have shared this many times before. Its impressive, like BFV i tested going from low/med settings to ultra with RT at 60fps 4k, from current to next gen graphics. Spiderman basically also shows cross gen can work if done right. Same for horizon and other cross gen titles. its probably alot more effort but you reach a larger market.

Materials is probably better too, but you said in normal rendering.;) I just correct your error. There is much more into this cross gen version of Spiderman than typical RT cross gen games with the expensive part create LOD0 character model with more details for PS5.

They will probably take the same approach for Horizon2.

And this is the reason, the remastered cost 20 dollars/euros, work on higher detailed assets.

Materials is probably better too, but you said in normal rendering.;) I just correct your error. There is much more into this cross gen version of Spiderman than typical RT cross gen games with the expensive part create LOD0 character model with more details for PS5.

They will probably take the same approach for Horizon2.

And this is the reason, the remastered cost 20 dollars/euros, work on higher detailed assets.
in the end it doesn't looks so much better (more like highend pc version of ps4 game) and selling separatly remaster of spiderman is rather marketing failure

in the end it doesn't looks so much better (more like highend pc version of ps4 game) and selling separatly remaster of spiderman is rather marketing failure

Wait the PS4 version and compare to it, I think it will look much better on PS5 than typical cross gen games. I was very angry against Sony when they announced some cross gen games, the gameplay is affected but at least visually they did an effort and I hope this the same for Horizon 2 this is more expensive but add at least a higher details LOD0 version for part of the assets, higher res texture is not enough.

I can guarantee you most of the time memory bias make an a game looks better than it look in reality.

Marketing failure, wait the sales of the Remasterd version before saying this.

PC version of a current gen games have exactly the same LOD0 geometry assets than PS4 version and it is visible.

This is what looks like a typical cross gen game in cutscene and some gameplay with cinematic angle. And RT is present too in Watchdogs.;)

Last edited:

It definitely is more effort but it's not unprecedented; SEGA were doing cross-gen back ports of Sonic 1 to Master System back in the early '90s, without any of the modern day programming environment/scalability amenities, either ;)

Just for the sake of argument, what title looks like nextgen? Or maybe what does a nextgen title look like?
I think closest one is Demon Souls R but to be honest still nothing made clear difference comparing to current gen like Killzone Shadow Fall or Ryse made in 2013.

Just for the sake of argument, what title looks like nextgen? Or maybe what does a nextgen title look like?

Thats the thing, we dont have any. DF said this top in their livestream, no more ps1 to ps2, ps2 to ps3 and finally ps3 to 4 jumps in graphics.

We get faster loading and rt puddles and floors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back