Formula 1 - 2020 Season

Verstappen P3 qually interview: “Turn 1 is not really a place to dive or whatever...”
Coulthard: “Well, you tried that already at free practice.”
V: “That was not the intention, of course.”

:LOL:

Glad Coulthard was the interviewer, don’t think Brundle or DiRiesta would have been that quick to needle him.

Personally I find those cars not that interesting. V8, bunch of giant turbos and sure it will go very fast in the straight line but can it do anything else?

I'm much more interested in something like the Gordon Murray T50. A NA v12 that passes all new emission tests, enough but not a ridiculous amount of power, very light weight, a manual transmission, a clean design (apart from the gimmicky fan) and if we have to believe the man himself, it's even supposed to be practical (relatively).

That is actually impressive from an engineering point of view.

Ya that straight is just too long, unless you're Lance Stroll in which case is was 20m too short(maybe he should have mathed that out in practice).

good race but ultimately disappointing. bottas just cant bring it all the way

A little bit more, non-F1 insanity on October 10, 2020!
There’s been some skepticism about that video (the video itself, not necessarily the attempt, but...):

Medium videos short, they basically calculated d = vt using Google Maps (video 1) along with gearbox ratios (video 2) to prove the video can’t be showing 300+mph. Open question as to whether they’re showing the actual fastest attempt (there were three), converting 24fps to 30fps made things look 20% slower than they actually were, or even if they mistook kph for mph (!?). Guinness wasn’t there to verify the attempt, nor apparently was sole GPS supplier, and there was a helicopter that maxes out at 180mph alongside the car while the car was ostensibly doing way more than that (three seconds before it hit vmax, IIRC—video 3).

I’m not fully up to speed (lul) on this, this whole drama just happened to pop up on some Nurburgring related channels I’ve been watching lately.

The-Race.com reporting (video, article) that Grosjean said Haas’ problem is down to an overheating rear suspension that stiffens as it gets to temp which changes the aero balance of the car up to 4.4%. IIRC from the video, Ferrari may also be affected as Haas gets some/all of its rear suspension from them (and the overheating element is located in/under the engine).

“We struggled with the rear suspension overheating, meaning that the ride height keeps changing at the rear and from one lap to another we can pick up up to 4.4% of aero balance [centre of pressure],” said Grosjean when asked by The Race about his qualifying problems.

“From when it gets hot at the end of FP3, it gets [one] ride height and then it cools down and then you start qualifying with a different one and then every lap the rear suspension heats up and then the rear ride height changes,” said Grosjean.

“We don’t have any idea [what is causing it]. We see it a little bit on Kevin’s car but it’s always been minor compared to ours and this weekend it has just – as an example I picked up 3% of aero balance in the long run yesterday, so it’s a fair bit.”

When you see the mechanics alter the front wing angle with a couple of turns on the front flap, this might just move the centre of pressure either way by 0.5%. So what Grosjean is talking about – a 3 to 4% change and perhaps even slightly more – that is a monster change.

There’s been some skepticism about that video (the video itself, not necessarily the attempt, but...):

Medium videos short, they basically calculated d = vt using Google Maps (video 1) along with gearbox ratios (video 2) to prove the video can’t be showing 300+mph. Open question as to whether they’re showing the actual fastest attempt (there were three), converting 24fps to 30fps made things look 20% slower than they actually were, or even if they mistook kph for mph (!?). Guinness wasn’t there to verify the attempt, nor apparently was sole GPS supplier, and there was a helicopter that maxes out at 180mph alongside the car while the car was ostensibly doing way more than that (three seconds before it hit vmax, IIRC—video 3).

I’m not fully up to speed (lul) on this, this whole drama just happened to pop up on some Nurburgring related channels I’ve been watching lately.
Wow, SSC just agreed that the run was flawed (GPS didn’t correlate with reality). I think Shelby said it hit 280mph. They’ll try again for 300, and have invited the three YouTubers I linked above (Shmee, Misha, Robert) to the next attempt. Nice gesture, but how can SSC have the brainpower to engineer a ~1500hp, 300mph car but not to validate a speed run with a stopwatch? Eh, at least the car looks cool.

Back