Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

Wonder what they changed in the Gears 5 rendering pipeline. That's about 2-3 frames worth savings in campaign. Multiplayer already turns off some of the post-processing, so that could explain why it's a bit lower latency by default.

It's possible they're buffering less on the CPU side, I guess. On PC via driver you can select a maximum number of frames to render ahead (on the CPU side) - I think 3 used to be be the default for Nvidia. Higher numbers can smooth out choppiness and reduce dropped frames, but it can also increase input lag. Nvidia now call it "low latency mode" with the number of frames obscured, but it used to be called something more specific like "max frames to render ahead" and present actual numbers to choose. I think the driver setting for VR still exposes the actual number.

Without Jaguar cores holding them back, they might no longer need to use every single spare CPU cycle from one frame to help the next two or so to keep averages up. Perhaps they were able to shave off a frame or two of latency this way.

I used to drop the setting on PC from 3 to 1, because it made me feel 1337. Now I just have it set to "on", which I think is still just 1 extra frame of latency, but not choosing the actual number myself definitely feels less 1337.

I used to drop the setting on PC from 3 to 1, because it made me feel 1337. Now I just have it set to "on", which I think is still just 1 extra frame of latency, but not choosing the actual number myself definitely feels less 1337.

Yes i used to do that for BC2 mp, made the game much smoother, but increased CPU usage by rather much at times.

Yes i used to do that for BC2 mp, made the game much smoother, but increased CPU usage by rather much at times.

Yeah, by keeping frame rates higher you'd be demanding more work from the CPU. My CPU is so rarely the bottleneck these days (*cough* GTX 680 *cough*) it could probably give the GPU a head start and still prepare the next frame before the GPU was finished with the current one. :(

Yeah, by keeping frame rates higher you'd be demanding more work from the CPU. My CPU is so rarely the bottleneck these days (*cough* GTX 680 *cough*) it could probably give the GPU a head start and still prepare the next frame before the GPU was finished with the current one. :(

Lol. BC2 was quite intensive on the CPU anyways, it was due to its excellent audio implementation, probably the best still today. Yes and those GPUs from NV didnt age well either. Most games are still playable but settings have to be lowered etc. AMDs stuff did age much and much better (7870 still tags along nicely, fine wine they call it.

Since BC2 i have not bothered with altering this render ahead setting anymore, think BF3 and BF4 had better optimization.

In case other people have the same problem seeing some tweets as I do:
Larry Hryb @majornelson 5h

Xbox One Media Remotes will continue to work with Xbox Series X|S as part of our commitment that you can bring your existing accessories forward with you. The design team hid the IR receiver inside the bind button #PowerYourDreams

Ek3iqHOUYAA_DAv

Campaign...

Ek3ivfZVgAQam-d

Tommy McClain

Speaking of Twitter, spurce for those input latency pics:

Gears of War @GearsofWar

#Gears5 feels better than ever on Xbox Series X. We’ve reduced input latency by 36% (Campaign) and 57% (Versus), delivering a profoundly more responsive experience for our players…especially when every millisecond matters. (1/3)”

Sounds great. So the improved latency isn’t a controller thing but an XSX thing? I’d love to know if all games that run the same framerate as X1X will benefit from this, and if this also applies to BC titles and therefore XSS.

Last edited:
That's pretty small on Series X/S, but the IR in the bind button is the same thing they did on 360 S and E models. Although, they had much larger bind buttons.

Interesting. I don't remember that at all, but then again I never had one of those models. I still rocked my Elite/Jasper model until I got the XB1.

Tommy McClain

Ms has been talking a lot about "beyond hardware specs" so i've seen xbox has used dual pipe to process "off line" using idle cycles from SIMDs to deliver things like auto HDR, or the BVH start offline
navi21 lite.png navi21.png

just curious, but do you know what the 'num_gl2c' refers to? I see that it has a few more than the desktop part

I'm not sure, maybe cache groups in L2.

My point is not a value in the table that seems larger, but the fact that Ms is trying something very different from what is implemented in navi21

Back