Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I absolutely :love: the fact that Sony have seemingly limited people to just showing the box today.

They are just utter trolls. :yep2:

The worst! They sent PS5s, everyone said they got one, everyone showed the box, and there is still an embargo of unknown length on any sort of actual information about the PS5. I was hoping we’d get a weekend of coverage but I’m starting to think it’s gonna be a few days.
Maddening but funny as hell.

I wonder if they're staging the embargo, similar to how Microsoft has or if they let everyone go wild with it? I hope it's the latter, the Series X coverage was like watching the same video over and over but with a different voice.

The worst! They sent PS5s, everyone said they got one, everyone showed the box, and there is still an embargo of unknown length on any sort of actual information about the PS5. I was hoping we’d get a weekend of coverage but I’m starting to think it’s gonna be a few days.
Maddening but funny as hell.

European outlet don't have the consoles from what I heard they will receive it beginning of next week to midweek. if they receive it beginning of the week, we will probably have something end of next week.

It kinda the same but it isn't. 1st party devs can still take advantage of PS5 faster SSD while XsX only games is practically non existent because of MS strategy.
Also 1st party PS5 probably can make ray tracing only games (basically a game that needs RT without having a non RT mode) while the same thing would be hard on XsX (they can do it, but probably need to target XsS and scale up instead of targeting XsX and scale down).

Yes MS is in a very bad spot regarding next generation graphics. Il go PS5 and pc then.

not really, because sony said it's totally transaprent to the devs, they don't even have to think about it.

And thats what i call next gen, devs wont even have to think anymore ;)

I wonder if they're staging the embargo, similar to how Microsoft has or if they let everyone go wild with it? I hope it's the latter, the Series X coverage was like watching the same video over and over but with a different voice.
Definitely need some sort of embargo; otherwise it’s going to be a rush to put out videos and no quality. By putting an embargo each person who received it has proper time to test and go through all the content before making their videos.

tldr; the longer the embargo the less likely you’re going to get people dropping hot takes. And some features may take longer to appreciate than others.

Last edited:
Definitely need some sort of embargo; otherwise it’s going to be a rush to put out videos and no quality. By putting an embargo each person who received it has proper time to test and go through all the content before making their videos.

tldr; the longer the embargo the less likely you’re going to get people dropping hot takes. And some features may take longer to appreciate than others.

Deffo an embargo, yeah. I mean will they do the same thing that Microsoft must have done and mandated one day for loading, one for BC, etc. I'd prefer a looser approach.

Deffo an embargo, yeah. I mean will they do the same thing that Microsoft must have done and mandated one day for loading, one for BC, etc. I'd prefer a looser approach.
Oh. Hmm yea. I’m not a marketer; but I imagine there is some optimal strategy to ensure everyone has the same amount of time to test each feature and in order to do that, they would make sure the embargo is per feature per date.

I suspect if you let them go free for all, people will rush to make only videos on the most exciting thing and the other features don’t get coverage.

they have some time, a little under 3 weeks. But it’s going to be tight. Tighter for the EU outlets. It’s a lot of content to cover for them in a short time if they are getting it next week.

so you might be right; perhaps looser if the timelines are slimmer.

Oh. Hmm yea. I’m not a marketer; but I imagine there is some optimal strategy to ensure everyone has the same amount of time to test each feature and in order to do that, they would make sure the embargo is per feature per date.

I suspect if you let them go free for all, people will rush to make only videos on the most exciting thing and the other features don’t get coverage.

they have some time, a little under 3 weeks. But it’s going to be tight. Tighter for the EU outlets. It’s a lot of content to cover for them in a short time if they are getting it next week.

so you might be right; perhaps looser if the timelines are slimmer.

I follow the logic. Just would be nice if people could highlight the parts that appeal to them. Reviews of games must be due imminently, I'd be interested to see some tech breakdowns of the games and see hardware/UI. As much as I'm happy about reduced loading, the idea of watching more videos of games loading is gonna send me to sleep. That's the stuff we should be excited about having less of. Time to see some games.

Edit: just to be clear, I'm happy that we're seeing the other machine's games now. The advancements are really wonderful to see, such a huge increase over the last gen games (at least the framerate/resolution compared to OG consoles).

I mean it was the same thing Microsoft did with Series X. A set of staggered embargos on what they could show.

Not sure about that. If you send units out for review, then you should let people review the bloody thing as they see fit.

Like we get with game reviews: hundreds of reviews are released at the same time, all saying pretty much the same thing. And that’s the nature of reviews.

I don’t think a “staggered embargo” is something that anyone should try to enforce, once you send units out to journalists.

The staggered embargos is deliberate for marketing purposes. Ensures a continual stream of news.

I don’t disagree entirely, but everyone that has received one has tweeted that their review will be up soon.

So I feel that there will be a big review embargo and that these reviews will be simple, old school, big reviews for everything that needs to be reviewed.

Did someone explain why the PS5 should support Dolby Vision in games?

, is there any advantage of using Dolby Vision in real-time rendering? IIRC Dolby Vision is good in pre-encoded video sources because it automatically adjusts the video's encoded brightness into the brightness range of the TV (dynamic metadata I think?), but in a console we're supposed to adjust brightness manually. Besides, I don't know if the consoles can't just support dynamic metadata without paying for the Dolby Vision royalties. Dynamic metadata is an open standard IIRC.
Dolby Vision also supports 12bit color, but I see no reason why either console couldn't simply set the color output to 12bit considering they all support HDMI 2.1, and then let the game engines produce a 12bit picture in the end.

They only need to pay for Dolby Atmos Headphones support.
You mean for multimedia content?
For games it wouldn't make sense to pay for or even use Atmos Headphones, since it's a HRTF engine that is both inferior to Sony's own HRTF solution and it probably wouldn't make use of Tempest. They'd need to waste CPU cycles on Atmos' HRTF while Tempest is idling.

I don’t disagree entirely, but everyone that has received one has tweeted that their review will be up soon.

So I feel that there will be a big review embargo and that these reviews will be simple, old school, big reviews for everything that needs to be reviewed.
You might be right on a single day embargo for everything. Given how much time is available, seems like this is the best approach with the time remaining.

Back