Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Makes sense that the last device in the chain to process the signal should be enough since it determines ultimate compatibility. Is the same true for Dolby Vision then?

I tried to find something definitive but nothing showed up, so I'm not sure.

If I had the technology, I would not nickel and dime the intermediate devices. Way too many devices to get to license. Also goes against driving mass adoption. Even worse if you go after it on an App-by-App-by-Platform basis. So Netflix on Roku is different from Netflix on PS5 is different from Netflix on iOS.

To me the following makes sense, but of course content technology companies have their own thoughts.
  • CD: The device playing the physical media.
  • DVD: The device playing the physical media.
  • BluRay: The device playing the physical media.
  • Audio: The device playing the audio (TV, AVR, Headphones connected to console)
  • Vision: The device displaying the video (TV).

I tried to find something definitive but nothing showed up, so I'm not sure.

If I had the technology, I would not nickel and dime the intermediate devices. Way too many devices to get to license. Also goes against driving mass adoption. Even worse if you go after it on an App-by-App-by-Platform basis. So Netflix on Roku is different from Netflix on PS5 is different from Netflix on iOS.

To me the following makes sense, but of course content technology companies have their own thoughts.
  • CD: The device playing the physical media.
  • DVD: The device playing the physical media.
  • BluRay: The device playing the physical media.
  • Audio: The device playing the audio (TV, AVR, Headphones connected to console)
  • Vision: The device displaying the video (TV).
Your list makes sense, but to me I wish it was baked into the cost of the media. Then the technology is incentivized to get it into client devices and encourages video/audio engineers to use it so they get their royalties. Then from a consumer standpoint I say I’m already paying for it, why shouldn’t I get a device that can display/process it?

Maybe I am crazy though.

Too Funny if they're now using what Microsoft left behind from the X360 system, Avatar and Background Rewards. I think Ubi Connect had similar things too.

In the next-gen race, while the PS5 boasts its blazingly fast SSD, the Xbox Series X touts other advantages, chief among them being its GPU, which at 12 teraflops, outmatches the PS5’s 10.28 teraflops of GPU power, at least as far as pure numbers are concerned.

The question, of course, is if this will end up making any difference from a development perspective- for instance, will developers exclusively working on the Xbox Series X be able to do more with the GPU that multiplatform devs, who also have to work with the PS5’s specs?

According to DiRT 5 lead designer Mike Moreton, that’s not going to be the case. Speaking in any interview with GamingBolt, when asked about the difference between the GPUs of the two next-gen consoles, Moreton said, “From development and gameplay perspectives, it doesn’t really have an impact. When it comes to tuning, tweaking and optimizations at the end of a game, it might mean slightly less work for one platform.”

Of course, it’s worth noting that on top of all that, multiplatform developers will also have to keep the Xbox Series S’ much less powerful GPU in mind, which means the gap between the PS5 and Xbox Series X is going to end up being irrelevant.

https://gamingbolt.com/ps5-and-xbox...t-really-have-a-development-impact-dirt-5-dev

Last edited:
Bad news for the SSD tech since its the same story there.
It kinda the same but it isn't. 1st party devs can still take advantage of PS5 faster SSD while XsX only games is practically non existent because of MS strategy.
Also 1st party PS5 probably can make ray tracing only games (basically a game that needs RT without having a non RT mode) while the same thing would be hard on XsX (they can do it, but probably need to target XsS and scale up instead of targeting XsX and scale down).

Wait - did we B3D dwellers get one thing right? I am astounded!
I would have been surprised if Sony dropped the bluetooth HID profile in the DualSense as that's what made DualShock 4 popular with PC owners, it supported the standard controller schema and the trackpad looked like a touchpad for cursor control. Super convenient! :yes:

Back