Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Interesting article here:
In the short term, AI-driven upscaling will be the nearest buyers get to experiencing 8K content. 'We've done this dance before,' says Chinnock. 'Distribution is always going to remain a challenge...'

Hmm... makes for some interesting discussion around the projections of where hardware should be headed I guess. That or we just leave it to the TV to do.

Lots of TV manufacturers don’t even support DV or pass through necessary for Atmos. It’s not as if this is unprecedented.

Come on. It's a device that's suppose to last 7 years & they did put a 8K badge on the box? This is a license issue. Sony didn't probably didn't want to pay the piper. May say more about the BOM than anything.

Tommy McClain

Come on. It's a device that's suppose to last 7 years & they did put a 8K badge on the box? This is a license issue. Sony didn't probably didn't want to pay the piper. May say more about the BOM than anything.

Tommy McClain
And they can make firmware updates. This isn’t no forever necessarily.

8k gaming if you have a 3080/90 and dlss. No rt even there?

Btw dont the new iphones also support dolby vision/hdr?
Sonys new xperia?

Yep. It can be free or they could charge for it via an app like Microsoft did with the Atmos headphones support.

Tommy McClain
app is the best idea for sure.
Just let people buy in.

I think that's on DTS and Dolby to make. I don't think it's a Sony thing.

Consoles and consumer media playback devices don't need to pay for a license for Dolby Atmos support. That cost is covered by your TV or Audio Reciever.

They only need to pay for Dolby Atmos Headphones support.

Consoles and consumer media playback devices don't need to pay for a license for Dolby Atmos support. That cost is covered by your TV or Audio Reciever.

They only need to pay for Dolby Atmos Headphones support.
Makes sense that the last device in the chain to process the signal should be enough since it determines ultimate compatibility. Is the same true for Dolby Vision then?

Back