Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If unpatched BC titles for both systems run at the orignal resolution and framerate cap, does that mean PS5 has a slight edge in unoptimized BC titles in that most of them at least hit 1080p on PS4? Should make AC Unity an interesting initial point of comparison.
There's 2 different levels.
BC for base systems
BC for mid gens

As you say for the base un patched systems PS5 will have the advantage
For unpatched mid gen, XSX should.

Then there's secondary things like does PS5 force 16xAF.

I did doubt how well it would work when it was mentioned, I don't recall the dedicated thread doubting MS ability to deliver though...people just lapped it up as fact.
I wouldn’t say people lapped it up as fact. It rather flew under the radar for everyone. I don’t recall anyone writing about it under the hype banner, I don't even think we have a thread for it. It’s like being overly excited for titles to have 16x AF for BC.

It’s hard to get an idea of how things work without someone doing proper journalism on it. Even then if it’s 50% successful, ie every other titles it’s a good add, that’s a decent starting point. It’s free and can improve over time.

For some of these games I missed, like Arkham Knight. I appreciate it’s been improved. I would appreciate it more if they would just do a simple patch to unlock some things. But w/e. Icing I guess

Last edited:
Yup it looks like ass unless your game is neon on a black field, moving on
Im against this autoHDR unless the developer of the game does it

It sounds very much like what happens with music, which some producer who had no input in the original recording comes along and 'improves' the music by increasing the loudness, but in fact this actually makes it objectively worse.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

sure improve the AF but leave the HDR alone

Im against this autoHDR unless the developer of the game does it

It sounds very much like what happens with music, which some producer who had no input in the original recording comes along and 'improves' the music by increasing the loudness, but in fact this actually makes it objectively worse.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

sure improve the AF but leave the HDR alone
its entirely optional. It's not a forced setting. You can definitely turn it off.
I woulnd't refer to it as just making things louder. AutoHDR is conceptually closer to an equalizer pre-made for audio than it is just increasing loudness.

I think Eurogamer / DF might be getting their PS5(s) on Friday. The EG XSX backwards compat stream mentioned something special on Friday, and John (in the DF stream for Golden Axed that was published 8hrs ago) said he (or “we,” I forget) didn’t have one yet.

Not that we’d get DF content day of, but maybe we’ll see something next week?

If unpatched BC titles for both systems run at the orignal resolution and framerate cap, does that mean PS5 has a slight edge in unoptimized BC titles in that most of them at least hit 1080p on PS4? Should make AC Unity an interesting initial point of comparison.
Actually AC Unity will be the less interesting initial point as the unpatched PS4 game runs much worse than the XB1 game . A good comparison should be using games that run similarly on PS4 and XB1.

its entirely optional. It's not a forced setting. You can definitely turn it off.
I woulnd't refer to it as just making things louder. AutoHDR is conceptually closer to an equalizer pre-made for audio than it is just increasing loudness.
OK thanks I just watched the video, and IIRC I didnt see them saying you could turn it off, they said it wasnt enabled for some titles. Maybe I misunderstood.
The video was bad though if you could turn it off, as they should of done side by side i.e. here is the scene with it on, heres the same scene with it off. Since they did not do this, I assume they couldnt?
From what I saw a lot looked over bright and washed out

The video was bad though if you could turn it off, as they should of done side by side i.e. here is the scene with it on, heres the same scene with it off.

Other preview videos have done so and were posted in the SeriesX thread. Not sure why DF didn't.

Huh, both versions run at 900p. I thought it was 1080p on PS4, but this might be more interesting as a level comparison point.
Those games are highly CPU limited and the unpatched PS4 games is somehow running often much slower than the XB1 game (maybe because it was first optimized on XB1 but the performance delta was eventually corrected in a patch) so the big perf difference of the unpatched games should be visible on the next gen machines. Though this game will show us how good is the BC emulation of the jaguar CPU on PS5: is the emulation simply using the clocks advantage (2.2x faster) or is it using some Zen 2 magic in order to run it up to 4x faster?

OK thanks I just watched the video, and IIRC I didnt see them saying you could turn it off, they said it wasnt enabled for some titles. Maybe I misunderstood.
The video was bad though if you could turn it off, as they should of done side by side i.e. here is the scene with it on, heres the same scene with it off. Since they did not do this, I assume they couldnt?
From what I saw a lot looked over bright and washed out
If you have sdr + hdr on in the same Video frame in an Exported Video and one side is Mapping to 1000 nits (hdr) and the other side is Mapping to 100 nits in hdr space (sdr in hdr package), then the sdr footage will be unaturally dim. In a vacuum, sdr on a Set in an sdr game mode presentating in sdr will still use a lot of the displays brightness, but not be mapped to it like an HDR Signal is. So sdr is more Uniform in Lightspread. Basically, Showing sdr next to hdr in an HDR mastered Video is inaccurate to the sdr presentation one would actually see in sdr. At best such a comparison will Show you can how uniform the brightness is in sdr in such a comp, but not the actual brightness a Display would give that uniformity.

If you have sdr + hdr on in the same Video frame in an Exported Video and one side is Mapping to 1000 nits (hdr) and the other side is Mapping to 100 nits in hdr space (sdr in hdr package), then the sdr footage will be unaturally dim. In a vacuum, sdr on a Set in an sdr game mode presentating in sdr will still use a lot of the displays brightness, but not be mapped to it like an HDR Signal is. So sdr is more Uniform in Lightspread. Basically, Showing sdr next to hdr in an HDR mastered Video is inaccurate to the sdr presentation one would actually see in sdr. At best such a comparison will Show you can how uniform the brightness is in sdr in such a comp, but not the actual brightness a Display would give that uniformity.
yes fair enuf (it would still be interesting to see)
but it doesnt explain why DF did not show with 2 different videos of the same scenes autoHDR on and autoHDR off

Jeff Grubb mentioned it in his article...

I’ve tested auto-HDR in a number of backward compatible games on a preview version of the Xbox Series X hardware. And as long as your TV supports HDR, you don’t have to do anything else. There’s an option to turn it off in the Xbox’s display settings, but otherwise, most of your backward compatible games (Microsoft turns it off for some games if it clashes with an artistic vision) will get this benefit.

https://venturebeat.com/2020/10/06/...arning-auto-hdr-renders-stunning-results/amp/

Tommy McClain

Actually AC Unity will be the less interesting initial point as the unpatched PS4 game runs much worse than the XB1 game . A good comparison should be using games that run similarly on PS4 and XB1.
Sort of funny you mentioned this. Is anyone else here a DF patreon supporter?you get access to the DF discord. So I can see what games @Dictator is playing.muhaha. And yes, he was recently in ACUnity again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back