AMD: Navi Speculation, Rumours and Discussion [2019-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ye I’m trying to make sense why it’s stomping on everything in fire strike and losing to 3080 in timespy.

Time spy has massively more vertices, triangles, pixel shader invocations and tesselation. It’s also a pretty full featured dx12 renderer. My guess would be 3080 compute advantage is shining here and in fire strike being pretty old amd comes way ahead with a fillrate advantage.

Yeah Timespy is more compute intensive but AFAIK it lacks some features found in later versions of DX12 ike Async shading, VRS, and so on (I could be wrong on this but I remember some discussion about this in another forum). I think actual game benchmarks are the only way to have a proper comparison between the cards.

Timespy uses a full DX12 renderer with Async Compute. For VRS exists a feature test. It is just a more complex benchmark than Firestrike.

Ye I’m trying to make sense why it’s stomping on everything in fire strike and losing to 3080 in timespy.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/download-aws.futuremark.com/3dmark-technical-guide.pdf

Pages 22/23 and the following breakdowns might help with data on vertex/triangles/compute per frame in Fire Strike and Time Spy. Also: „Time Spy uses DirectX 12 feature level 11_0. This lets Time Spy leverage the most significant performance benefits of the DirectX 12 API while ensuring wide compatibility with DirectX 11 hardware through DirectX 12 drivers.“

I'd expect AMD results on 28th, reviews when they launch sales (probably 1-3 weeks from 28th)
3 weeks seems a bit long historically, at least to my recollections.
Event Oct 28, cards received Oct 30/31, review NDA lifts on Nov 3-5.

Seeing the issues with Nvidia's launch and shipping delays/mixups, I would expect an extra week at the most or Nov 9-11.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back