Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Like i said, games being designed as gpu limited only occured this gen due to jaguar. It was a neccessity to get games to work in general.

Devs wanting to push their games with much more powerful hardware will still always be want for resources. To say "its unlikely for the cpus to be pushed hard" is strange to me considering that resources always intensify for gaming no matter the generation as games become more complex.

You simply put enough npcs in a crowded area and of course the hardware will be given a workout. I dont see how one argues that stops being the case this gen when its never been the case otherwise
Yea, but its more like, if you do that, it's not always being loaded to it's maximum capability. It's only for that specific scene/moment/town etc.

Usually things like resolution or frame rate, it's a constant use of those resources at all times. Hope that makes sense what I'm trying get at. So do you maximize the game around the 80% of the time the game will be like that? Or do you cut back everything to support those moments that only happen 20% of the time.

It's a design decision that really needs to be looked at. Some things, sound great on paper, but may not translate well to good gameplay.

This is where things like VRS and dynamic resolution are incredible. Because it's scaling to the content.

Whereas reconstruction techniques, ie checkerboarding must always resolve a fixed amount of work. These methods provide a fixed amount of margin. Just like moving to a lower resolution or adjusting the frame rate down. You're given the a larger budget to work with from the get go. But the whole game is not going to be the same thing repeated.

If the goal is to truly maximize everything, we need to develop more dynamic scaling methods, the best of both worlds would be resolved.

Last edited:
Even the fastest intel cpu is limiting the fastest gpu of today (36tf 3090).
Cpus in consoles cant be fast enough, could they run zen3 4ghz processors that would be even better. Although i understand that the cpus there wont be bottlenecking their gpus anyway.

I think in a general case, sure, I would say that monitors are likely higher quality than most TVs. When you can buy a 30"-40" TV at a lower or same price of monitors in the 21" range... there is something to be said for sure.

I think when you enter the high end line of TVs, the quality is definitely in favour of TVs for all things except refresh rate and gaming features.

That's probably true, but those high-end TVs are also going to carry a higher price premium over an equivalent monitor of similar quality. I think each have their use-cases though for sure.

The TVs for watching cinema and playing certain types of games, monitors for productivity and playing more competitive-focused games like fighters, shooters...basically anything where frames really matter in a multiplayer setting.

Like i said, games being designed as gpu limited only occured this gen due to jaguar. It was a neccessity to get games to work in general.

Devs wanting to push their games with much more powerful hardware will still always be want for resources. To say "its unlikely for the cpus to be pushed hard" is strange to me considering that resources always intensify for gaming no matter the generation as games become more complex.

You simply put enough npcs in a crowded area and of course the hardware will be given a workout. I dont see how one argues that stops being the case this gen when its never been the case otherwise

Yes deep learning 4k reconstruction will be the most common option during the gen and 30 fps will be used in some title.

Even the fastest intel cpu is limiting the fastest gpu of today (36tf 3090).
Cpus in consoles cant be fast enough, could they run zen3 4ghz processors that would be even better. Although i understand that the cpus there wont be bottlenecking their gpus anyway.

You confuse bad multithreaded title with games not pushing GPU further. With the good CPU in next gen consoles, AAA teams will improve a lot the parrallism of the engine because they have powerful 8 cores 16 threads CPU not the shitty Jaguar. Read the twitter topic, some devs begins to quit the render and graphic thread paradigm like Naughty Dog did for the Jaguar CPU in 2014 and before because they did not have the choice the CELL processor.

Last edited:
You confuse bad multithreaded title with games not pushing GPU further. With the good CPU in next gen consoles, AAA teams will improve a lot the parrallism of the engine because they have powerful 8 cores 16 threads CPU not the shitty Jaguar. Read the twitter topic, some devs begins to quit the render and graphic thread paradigm like Naughty Dog did for the Jaguar CPU in 2014 and before because they did not have the choice the CELL processor.

I think you misunderstand me. The consoles cant have a too fast processor, ofcourse a faster one is going to open up for even more capabilities.

Has Dolby Vision and Atmos been confirmed even for UHD BD playback? Or for games?

I thought there was an open question as to whether they are paying for the licensing costs.

PS4 currently does Atmos for Blu-ray movies but not apps or games.

No word on DV for PS5 but we can all assume that UHD Blu-ray will get Atmos at least. That doesn’t mean we’ll get it (and DV) on apps/games.

PS4 currently does Atmos for Blu-ray movies but not apps or games.

No word on DV for PS5 but we can all assume that UHD Blu-ray will get Atmos at least. That doesn’t mean we’ll get it (and DV) on apps/games.

They better have it for streams too.

Some movies were released without DV on the UHD BD release but with DV on the streaming version.

I think you misunderstand me. The consoles cant have a too fast processor, ofcourse a faster one is going to open up for even more capabilities.

You said the faster Intel CPU. If devs begin do use graph task, the reference will be AMD and best multicore performance and with Zen 3 AMD catch with Intel on single core performance.

Naughty Dog, Guerrilla Games and Id software have very good multithreaded job based game engine. It is time for the game industry to catch up with the multicore and SMT CPUs.

For the rest I agree with you.

Some first impressions of journalist will arrive today about at least dualsense. This is the producer of Austin Evans youtuber. the other guy to a teardown of the Xbox Series X with digitalfoundry.

Last edited:
Back