Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

I can admit to force restarting windows during "updates" many times. After about an hour stuck on the same percent you loose faith it's doing anything and kill it. Never had an issue with this so far.

On Xbox one I believe there is a deep boot ROM that applies the updates, it looked like it staged it somewhere and then applied it. This I assume is so power outages for whatever reason mean it just restarts the process. originally it always used to update this way for me but now I have not seen it in a couple of years so they have made the process more streamlined or worked out I am on GMT and update during my night not Redmond's. ;)

I would suspect that the update is designed around failure. If you plan it from the outset with worst case actions then it probably takes more steps copying or backing things up but it can cope with expected issues such as power failure during write to system files.

The Xbox one also has a force factory reset from USB recovery option, this works without the need for working video out and I believe uses the lower level boot ROM and not the OS at all.

You know errors happen between the controller and the chair so I am sure they have planned it to be idiot proof

The problem is you can't always recover the OS. There was a huge problem last fall with one of the xbox updates that they couldn't recover from

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I'd be surprised if it doesnt update a secure partition, then just switch them over.
Faster, more stable, less impact to user.
Its why widows is moving over to that method., from what I remember.

Ek3iqHOUYAA_DAv

Wonder what they changed in the Gears 5 rendering pipeline. That's about 2-3 frames worth savings in campaign. Multiplayer already turns off some of the post-processing, so that could explain why it's a bit lower latency by default.

Wonder what they changed in the Gears 5 rendering pipeline. That's about 2-3 frames worth savings in campaign. Multiplayer already turns off some of the post-processing, so that could explain why it's a bit lower latency by default.
Didn’t they update the controller software stack to improve latency with the release of the S/X (and maybe to the XBO as well)? Maybe this is meant to highlight that?

Didn’t they update the controller software stack to improve latency with the release of the S/X (and maybe to the XBO as well)? Maybe this is meant to highlight that?
That's correct, Dynamic Latency Input is being added to old controllers via firmware update. DLI synchronizes the controller input to the display output, so I think the improvements here are something separate.

That's correct, Dynamic Latency Input is being added to old controllers via firmware update. DLI synchronizes the controller input to the display output, so I think the improvements here are something separate.
Not just that.
They said they optimized it all the way to the screen.
Hence the display controller is now decoupled i believe it was.
So it's a combination of things.

Its one of the reasons I've been looking forward to seeing how much difference it all made.

The max latency is now usually very close to the min of the 1X. Impressive.

thats slower than my PC from a cold boot and it runs windows 10

You would think the more limited game OS with faster hardware would be quicker
new day.
just booted my PC again from cold boot, its quicker than 20sec (including bios). after it gets past the Bios screen its very few secs, 4 secs maybe (bios is longer than the actual loading with win 10, I can make a video if necessary, as it seems others dont have <20sec booting) I did find the following gfx thpough

754Ym4sCUfy3L55AdcWbAk-970-80.png

I dont have fast boot enabled, because its like I never have thought, do I need to make this faster

I have never booted a console (apart from atari 2600, and I cant remember how quick that was)
but if 20 seconds is amazingly quick, Im surprised surely ps5/xb5 is doing less than a general purpose OS like windows 10.

my android tv takes a long time to start up, perhaps 50 secs, its like WTF turning on a tv used to take 2 seconds, now they display a startup screen

Fastboot skips memory training on each boot. If your mem is oc’d heavily, you want the training to be done. If not, fastboot is fine. Some boards have 2 fastboots. One for devices and another for memory separately. Either way, loading up steam and then a game takes way longer than a XSX waking up and resuming a game.

Last edited:
just booted my PC again from cold boot, its quicker than 20sec (including bios). after it gets past the Bios screen its very few secs, 4 secs maybe (bios is longer than the actual loading with win 10
It wouldn't be a fair comparison to exclude the BIOS start time because consoles have an equivalent process. When you first power on the console, the CPU will begin by initiating a self-check routine to ensure it's working properly, then it'll load the console's BIOS and begin working through the hierarchy of hardware powering up RAM, PCIE device, I/O ports and so on and running a basic diagnostic to make sure they are all operating properly. The only thing a console doesn't have to do that a PC BIOS does, is manage a possible unknown list of new PCIE card additions that may have been added since it was last booted.

PCs and consoles are more alike than different in this regard.

Xbox Series X: Auto HDR Mode Tested - What Works and What Doesn't

Back-compat support is a huge boon to Series X at launch - allowing us to revisit games going all the way back to the original Xbox. Auto HDR is a new mode on Series S and X that lets us enhance classic games - from Panzer Dragoon Orta, to Arkham Knight - that never received a true HDR option from the developers. How does it fare in practise? And does it always work across a wide spread of titles?​

Xbox Series X: Auto HDR Mode Tested - What Works and What Doesn't

Back-compat support is a huge boon to Series X at launch - allowing us to revisit games going all the way back to the original Xbox. Auto HDR is a new mode on Series S and X that lets us enhance classic games - from Panzer Dragoon Orta, to Arkham Knight - that never received a true HDR option from the developers. How does it fare in practise? And does it always work across a wide spread of titles?​

great info here, sounds like need to be aware of some titles running auto-HDR could be burn in inducing for some of those UI/logo elements.

Back