Devil May Cry V [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC]

• 4K/30fps with Ray Tracing ON
  • 1080p/60fps with Ray Tracing ON
  • 4K/60fps with Ray Tracing OFF
  • Up to 120fps with Ray Tracing OFF

These numbers make no sense.

If enabling Ray Tracing, in the worst possible situation, halves the frames per second (4K60 vs. 4K30 RT) then why do they need to bring the resolution down to a fourth at 1080p to achieve RT + 60FPS?
1440p has only 44% of the pixels of 4K, that should be more than enough to enable RT at 60FPS.

:yes:

Maybe various Degrees of RayTracing? Or they're only targeting common display resolutions and gave up on anything else?

Another plausible explanation I can think of is that their 4K isn't really 4K, it's ~1440p + upscaling.
Either that or it's like you said, they didn't even try to use any resolution in-between 1080p and 4K.

We also don't know the resolution of the 120hz mode.

Another plausible explanation I can think of is that their 4K isn't really 4K, it's ~1440p + upscaling.
Either that or it's like you said, they didn't even try to use any resolution in-between 1080p and 4K.

I’m also surprised that they didn’t just go for dynamic res. Or maybe they did and didn’t want to state that explicitly.

These numbers make no sense.

If enabling Ray Tracing, in the worst possible situation, halves the frames per second (4K60 vs. 4K30 RT) then why do they need to bring the resolution down to a fourth at 1080p to achieve RT + 60FPS?
1440p has only 44% of the pixels of 4K, that should be more than enough to enable RT at 60FPS.

Seems reasonable to me. If I'm not mistaken, Control running at 1080p/60fps w/RT is just as computational (if not more) than running it @4K/30fps w/RT. So, running DMC 5 @1440p/60fps w/RT would be far more computational than running it @4K/30fps w/RT.

Last edited:
Seems reasonable to me. If I'm not mistaken, Control running at 1080p/60fps w/RT is just as computational (if not more) than running it @4K/30fps w/RT. So, running DMC 5 @1440p/60fps w/RT would be far more computational than running it @4K/30fps w/RT.

This doesn't make much sense to me. 1080p60 means the system has an output of 2 million pixels every 16.6ms, which results in ~124 400 pixels per millisecond.
4K30 has an output of 8 million pixels every 33.3ms, so it's 248 800 pixels per millisecond.
4K30 is processing twice as many pixels as 1080p60, so claiming the computational effort is the same between the two doesn't make much sense.

Besides in this case, you already know that RT is halving performance, because the game can run at 4K60 or 4K30+RT.
The performance hit with raytracing is supposed to be a known variable, and in this case it's 50%. Which is why it's very strange that they're reducing the resolution by 75% to enable RT at 60FPS.

This doesn't make much sense to me. 1080p60 means the system has an output of 2 million pixels every 16.6ms, which results in ~124 400 pixels per millisecond.
4K30 has an output of 8 million pixels every 33.3ms, so it's 248 800 pixels per millisecond.
4K30 is processing twice as many pixels as 1080p60, so claiming the computational effort is the same between the two doesn't make much sense.

Besides in this case, you already know that RT is halving performance, because the game can run at 4K60 or 4K30+RT.
The performance hit with raytracing is supposed to be a known variable, and in this case it's 50%. Which is why it's very strange that they're reducing the resolution by 75% to enable RT at 60FPS.

Perhaps RT doesn’t really scale linearly?
So trying to get all ray intersections, BVH setups etc is just that much tougher to achieve at 60fps, regardless of pixel fill rate, which would explain why res has to decrease so much? Just guessing.

Perhaps RT doesn’t really scale linearly?
So trying to get all ray intersections, BVH setups etc is just that much tougher to achieve at 60fps, regardless of pixel fill rate, which would explain why res has to decrease so much? Just guessing.

RT have a part of performance linked to geometry complexity of a scene and this part is not scalable with resolution.

RT is quite "new" for devs in realtime rendering for games, we'll see better utilisation and hybrid solutions working great in the coming years.
Maybe RT checkerboard ^^

RT have a part of performance linked to geometry complexity of a scene and this part is not scalable with resolution.
That's true but it also isn't the full resolution complexity they use either.

I don't know how hard it would be to reduce add complexity (tesalate it) .
Although wouldn't need to be at runtime anyway, could have different representation for 2160p and 1080p.

• 4K/30fps with Ray Tracing ON
  • 1080p/60fps with Ray Tracing ON
  • 4K/60fps with Ray Tracing OFF
  • Up to 120fps with Ray Tracing OFF
Funny how they use “up to” with 120fps but not with any of the resolutions. 4K/30 may be more like “4K”/30. Still, I like options. I wonder if 1440p will still be the odd man out.

Funny how they use “up to” with 120fps but not with any of the resolutions. 4K/30 may be more like “4K”/30. Still, I like options. I wonder if 1440p will still be the odd man out.
It will be interesting to know percentage of 120hrz displays that support VRR. As that would be ideal.

“Already photorealistic”... wait what?
Obviously you never experienced being isekai'd.
Anyway, they said near-photorealistic (before RT) to "a new level of unparalleled visual splendour" (after RT).
XsS doesn't get the unparalleled visual splendour tho. Lucky for them, it is at least near-photorealistic.

Back