Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Well my expectation was always mid December. :)

It doesnt matter much for me atleast anyways. No next gen hardware is easy to get for everyone it seems, be it pc hardware, xbox or playstation. Demand is high for hardware it seems even if prices are high and this covid problem going on. Wouldnt even mind if i had to wait untill march next year for the PS5, as more and more games start to appear by then and patches have improved things etc. Day one purchases of any product often sees some trouble.
Abit in to 2021, i could get spiderman and demon souls abit lower priced, probably improved at that point aswell. The new god of war is around that time and forbidden west closing in, and gt7 becoming more of a reality aswell, not forgetting ratched. Thats what i call a nice start of the gen for me. Can imagine BC is improved alot by that time too.
The ps5 still is 'new' even after lets say 4 to 6 months where most still dont have one anyway. So yea, see the upsides of limited supplies/getting the consoles abit later.

Not to sound like scummy Lindsey Graham ("you can use my words against me"), and I know I have been saying I will only ever use the 60fps modes next gen but.... Given the choice between Spiderman at 30fps with RT, or 60fps without RT, I will go for the 30fps option.

I know, I have no morals.

But I would absolutely love a 1080 or 1440p option with RT and 60fps, if that was given to us. Not sure why push for 4k60 when 1440p is mighty fine.

I know there are tons of ppl crying about options but as long as consoles are closed boxes with finite resources and low overhead it will always come down to dev priorituzation.

I dont think anyone expecting "real next gen games" outside of the crossgen period should be expecting options devs have to always account for. Devs will account for a single variable be it 30 or 60 or 120fps and account for that mostly as they bake it into their game design. We will see more 60fps and 120fps native games than ever but 30fps with no 60fps option will continue to exist as it always has.

Those options have to be factored into game design after all and devs will eventually push these cpus to the point where lowering res wont get them over the 60fps hump.

I know there are tons of ppl crying about options but as long as consoles are closed boxes with finite resources and low overhead it will always come down to dev priorituzation.
Yup. Every new combination/option requires more testing. On PC the game developer has no knowledge or control over the hardware and OS so performance is just expected to be at the whim of the settings the user choses. But on a console, if targeting multiple resolutions, frame rates, HDR and RT, that's a bunch more testing they need to do if they want to ensure consistent performance - which they do.

Yup. Every new combination/option requires more testing. On PC the game developer has no knowledge or control over the hardware and OS so performance is just expected to be at the whim of the settings the user choses. But on a console, if targeting multiple resolutions, frame rates, HDR and RT, that's a bunch more testing they need to do if they want to ensure consistent performance - which they do.
Yes, But I'd say with those CPUs it will be much easier for the devs to reach the 60fps target. I think we can already see this as some exclusive games are already targeting 60fps. Demon's souls, Ratchet. And the previous exclusive Ratchet game was only 30fps on PS4.

I dont think anyone expecting "real next gen games" outside of the crossgen period should be expecting options devs have to always account for. Devs will account for a single variable be it 30 or 60 or 120fps and account for that mostly as they bake it into their game design. We will see more 60fps and 120fps native games than ever but 30fps with no 60fps option will continue to exist as it always has.

Those options have to be factored into game design after all and devs will eventually push these cpus to the point where lowering res wont get them over the 60fps hump.
With both Spiderman games and Ratchet being 60fps on PS5 I don't see how Insomniac could even think of shipping their next game with only a 30fps mode. Same for all next Bluepoint games. And now with the advent of 120fps gaming on consoles (that I had predicted), it will become harder and harder to return to 30fps. Sony even indirectly acknowledged the threat of PC gaming.

Yes, But I'd say with those CPUs it will be much easier for the devs to reach the 60fps target. I think we can already see this as some exclusive games are already targeting 60fps. Demon's souls, Ratchet. And the previous exclusive Ratchet game was only 30fps on PS4.
I agree it's easier, but it does still need to be tested. Testing is slow.

New engines designed specifically to take advantage of the new hardware will also need to be designed. Example Naughty Dog and Guerrilla Games designing their game engines to take full advantage of the PS4/PS4 Pro hardware. I mean we got Death Stranding, Uncharted and TLOU2 on the PS4(1.8TF) device.

I can see it taking a few years before RT and 60fps(maybe even 120fps) games becomes the norm that look amazing. Same thing with the MS studios and 3rd party. Nevermind needing to take full advantage of the PS5's/XBSX I/O.

Spider-man MM already looks amazing with it's RT implementation, but in 2-3 years time, new better RT implementations could make the game look dated even without the need to go the PS Pro route.

Last edited:
New engines designed specifically to take advantage of the new hardware will also need to be designed. Example Naughty Dog and Guerrilla Games designing their game engines to take full advantage of the PS4/PS4 Pro hardware. I mean we got Death Stranding, Uncharted and TLOU2 on the PS4(1.8TF) device.

I can see it taking a few years before RT and 60fps(maybe even 120fps) games becomes the norm that look amazing. Same thing with the MS studios and 3rd party. Nevermind needing to take full advantage of the PS5's/XBSX I/O.

Spider-man MM already looks amazing with it's RT implementation, but in 2-3 years time, new better RT implementations could make the game look dated even without the need to go the PS Pro route.

Unreal Engine 5 don't use RT at all. I think we will see many different implementation on RT and some will use GI only on a different representation of the scene(voxel, signal distance field, point redering...). I don't think we will see RT and 120 fps and 60 fps will probably be not very common.

And Unreal Engine is the only engine? What about Ubisoft engine which will have RT with it's games e.g. Legion. I can see developers creating RT engines if they can find a good, clean, cheap way. If not then this generation might be a long one where partial RT could be used.

But then again, not every game needs RT if they can get away with GI, if it's implemented well enough i.e. The Unreal tech demo from a few months ago.

That's pretty important to keep in mind especially concerning, at least IMHO, we're not going to get any major TF bump in a PS5 Pro (or Series X-2) anyway.

Engine and API maturities paired with further refined dev pipelines, programming techniques and budgets are going to be the big enablers for those truly next-gen looking/feeling Year 3/4 games across the board.

And Unreal Engine is the only engine? What about Ubisoft engine which will have RT with it's games e.g. Legion. I can see developers creating RT engines if they can find a good, clean, cheap way. If not then this generation might be a long one where partial RT could be used.

But then again, not every game needs RT if they can get away with GI, if it's implemented well enough i.e. The Unreal tech demo from a few months ago.

Because you think Watchdog LEgions reflect the choice Ubi soft will do in the future. True next-gen AC and Watchdog engine will be very different than AC Valhalla and Watchdog Legions.

There is no cheap way with RT it exists decades before videogames and big budget movie tooks one decade before moving to full RT because this is expensive. Some engine will maybe like Quantic Dreams engine goes further with RT than other engine with a resolution of 1080p* on next generation consoles using reconstruction to 4k but other devs will do different choice.

* This the choice they made if we listen to David Cage.

Back