Horizon Zero Dawn [PC]

Have framerates improved at all since launch? Can’t seen to find any post patch comparisons.

Last edited:
Have framerates improved at all since launch? Can’t seen to find any post patch comparisons.

From reading various posts, the performance are the same but now you have more chance to achieve the standard performance.

Some people still beleaguered with crippling performance bugs tho

From reading various posts, the performance are the same but now you have more chance to achieve the standard performance.

Some people still beleaguered with crippling performance bugs tho

Yes this is my impression too. I'm not sure performance was every really a major issue, but the performance outliers and bugs were. For my part I'm running at max settings 1440p at a completely locked 30fps on the 1070. No issues at all.

Yes this is my impression too. I'm not sure performance was every really a major issue, but the performance outliers and bugs were. For my part I'm running at max settings 1440p at a completely locked 30fps on the 1070. No issues at all.
A 1080 was just barely fast enough to play at a solid 1080p/60 console settings. I consider that to be very poor performance.

A 1080 was just barely fast enough to play at a solid 1080p/60 console settings. I consider that to be very poor performance.

I'm not sure where you got that idea from. Even the 1060 is fast enough to play the game at 1080p/60 at the original preset:

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/fea...pc-benchmarks-performance-system-requirements

fXCd3LNg5AzPCp67gknSz.png

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/08/11/horizon-zero-dawn-pc-benchmarks-performance/3/

Rockpapershotgun said:
Can I play this at 1920×1080?

You sure can. While Ultimate Quality is probably a little out of reach of this particular card, you should be able to get a smooth near-60fps experience on Favour Quality without issue. I saw an average of 62fps in the benchmark, which translated to between 55-60fps in-game. If you want a steady 60fps, however, then you should definitely be able to achieve that on Original, which averaged 69fps in the benchmark.

I'm not sure where you got that idea from. Even the 1060 is fast enough to play the game at 1080p/60 at the original preset:

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/fea...pc-benchmarks-performance-system-requirements

fXCd3LNg5AzPCp67gknSz.png

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/08/11/horizon-zero-dawn-pc-benchmarks-performance/3/
The built in benchmark has greatly inflated performance relative to actual gameplay.

https://www.computerbase.de/2020-08/horizon-zero-dawn-benchmark-test/2/

Original preset scales about 30%~ faster on NV GPUs. That puts a 1080 at 67fps average at 1080p. Here's an example of how unrepresentative the benchmark is.

Digital Foundry also discusses the performance problems.

Last edited:
The built in benchmark has greatly inflated performance relative to actual gameplay.

https://www.computerbase.de/2020-08/horizon-zero-dawn-benchmark-test/2/

Original preset scales about 30%~ faster on NV GPUs. That puts a 1080 at 67fps average at 1080p. Here's an example of how unrepresentative the benchmark is.

Digital Foundry also discusses the performance problems.

RPS already addressed the gameplay vs benchmark difference and it's nowhere near 30% on the 1060FE:

RPS said:
I saw an average of 62fps in the benchmark, which translated to between 55-60fps in-game. If you want a steady 60fps, however, then you should definitely be able to achieve that on Original, which averaged 69fps in the benchmark.

I think a 1060 being able to double the PS4's framerate at the same resolution and slightly better settings (the PC version has some graphical flares that the PS4 lacks even at the original present) can be considered reasonable performance given that according to TPU's DB it's barely more than 2x faster at 1080p.

Some users have indeed experienced strange performance issues - at least with earlier unpatched versions of the game, and Digital Foundry definitely appears to be one of those. But many did not experience those issues and I'm not even sure if they're still present with the latest patches.

Regarding the GTX1080, here's a video of it running in game at 82fps at console settings/1080p:

That's vsynced to 82fps - so the average will be higher.

RPS benchmark is really different to my experience for 1440p

they say this for GTX 1660

Can I play this at 2560×1440?

Yep, although again, you’ll need to rein in your expectations here. You’ll get the best experience on Favour Performance, which averaged 65fps in the benchmark and produced a very smooth 60-odd fps in-game, but I reckon you’ll be perfectly capable of pushing it up to Original if you don’t mind an average closer to 50fps.

im using GTX 1660 Super and only goes 30-40 fps at 1440p on medium.

maybe this game is CPU heavy? Because im using 4.1 GHz Zen+ and for most games, i usually have round 5 fps lower performance compared to benchmarks done by youtubers and news websites. I suspect for more cpu heavy games i'll get ~10 fps penalty.

RPS benchmark is really different to my experience for 1440p

they say this for GTX 1660

im using GTX 1660 Super and only goes 30-40 fps at 1440p on medium.

maybe this game is CPU heavy? Because im using 4.1 GHz Zen+ and for most games, i usually have round 5 fps lower performance compared to benchmarks done by youtubers and news websites. I suspect for more cpu heavy games i'll get ~10 fps penalty.

I think Digital Foundry mentioned an issue with resolutions not always applying correctly when changed through the in game menu (or something to that effect). I wonder if the RPS benchmark fell foul of that at 1440p? The difference between 1080p and 1440p doesn't seem big enough in their benchmark for the increase in resolution. It's almost as if it's still running at 1080p. Their 1080p benchmark for your GPU is roughly in line with what Toms is saying (Toms actually puts it about13% faster but they're using a faster CPU) but unfortunately Toms doesn't give a 1440p equivalent comparison point. They do give 1440p at Ultra settings though which gives 35-44fps in the benchmark which probably isn't too far away from you 30-40 in game given you're running a slower CPU too.

So I'd probably say you're right were you should be in performance terms.

Back