Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not know how DF measured the 29w for stand-by mode, but Heise.de measured 0.5 w.

Dirt5: 160-165 Watt
normal use: 40-70 Watt
watching Blu-Ray: 60 Watt
Fast Boot: 10 Watt
Standby: 0.5 Watt

Funny enough, that's the power draw DF claims for off mode!
Could there be a bad translation? Anyone here natively speaks German?

So DF unit was in idle dashboard not standby. Which makes a whole lot more sense.
DF would be in on the first wave of consoles MS sent out to media considering the relationship they have with MS. Is it possible that models sent out later like the one being reviewed in this video are actual retail units and not prototypes? Maybe that's why we're seeing different numbers in standby mode?

Standby was never going to be that power hungry.
Regardless if DF made a mistake or if the OS was updating, or just prerelease power settings.

Remember not long ago MS changed wording and power profiles due to reasons that escape me, but it was more from external concerns than them just deciding to do it.

Possibly but still begs the question of how efficient the ARM core they are using. In later revision of PS4 Pro the standby mode with game resume enabled consumed 1.7W. That is with the RAM being supplied power, how are they achieving 0.5W on PS5?
The original purpose of the PS4 ARM chip was background updates so the difference may well attributed to moving to a more efficient processor design and moving from a mechanical HDD to a SSD.

I do not know how DF measured the 29w for stand-by mode, but Heise.de measured 0.5 w.

Dirt5: 160-165 Watt
normal use: 40-70 Watt
watching Blu-Ray: 60 Watt
Yes that makes way more sense, theres no way it would be 30W in standby
Did they also claim dashboard on xbox was only 1080p, theres no way its gonna be that when it releases, it will be 4k like it should be

Did they also claim dashboard on xbox was only 1080p, theres no way its gonna be that when it releases, it will be 4k like it should be

That may come later, if at all. If it will be 4K for Series X, I wonder if Series S would be too. The OS reserves on OneX was 3 GB, and one Series X it's only 2.5 GB, with rumored 2GB on Series S. I'm not exactly sure how much memory they'd need for 4K Dashboard, I mean other than 32 Meg Fast Memory for video buffer or blending that's already reserved.

They may not enable 4K Dashboard on the OneX, maybe not enough RAM or not enough CPU to do it smoothly. *shrug*

I don't see what the fuss is considering how little time is spent in it compared to the time playing games.

It's a tricky one to call. The SSD's will enable streaming of native 4K UI assets. But then, we've seen plenty of AAA games render lower than native 4K and upscale, with pleasing results. But then, a lot of those will still use a native 4K UI.

:runaway:

If you understand how OS works then it’s obvious why it can’t be, maybe start with system call?

Unless you have a different definition of OS...

you can simply have a light weight game os running on x64 and a media os for navigating the store , recording , friends stuff and switch between the two with display panes

you can simply have a light weight game os running on x64 and a media os for navigating the store , recording , friends stuff and switch between the two with display panes
I see. That's more reasonable and indeed possible, and I think the touch bar MacBooks kinda already do that with the touch bar. But that maybe more restrictive and not worth the cost.

Currently at least on Xbox One, the games' and apps' CPU quota changes based on whether the game is in foreground, and background services like friends already take very few cycles. GameDVR on the other hand, I guess there's a dedicated hardware encoder somewhere.

Wasn't there 3 display planes? Any idea if that carried over? Also what about the virtual machines?

Tommy McClain

[...]

From the article:
Deep Stand-By: 0,5W
Fast wake up mode: 9W

Everyone’s using standby to mean different things. From my PC perspective, I consider S3 standby (RAM remains powered) and S1 hibernate (write RAM to disk then power down), with off being off. I guess consoles and TVs aren’t technically ever fully off if a remote or controller can wake them up, so you could conceivably call “off” or S1 standby, which seems to be the case here. S3 is called rest mode, fast boot, fast wake-up. It can have different power draw depending on what’s enabled (e.g., USB ports), and a system may not enter standby immediately. PS4’s rest/standby mode allows it to finish downloading updates and charge controllers, and it even keeps the PSVR breakout box powered on. This obviously consumes more than the 1.xW it does when just powering the RAM. I’m guessing DF’s XSX was doing some background tasks when put into standby. He wasn’t confusing the idle dashboard with S3 standby because his table lists dashboard.

Not that the XSX’s clear as mud “power mode” settings helps: 4E38A83D-C185-465F-A31C-D043DD97CED1.jpeg
There seems to be “full shutdown,” “energy saving,” and “instant-on” in order of increasing power use. Is “energy saving” S1? Is “instant-on” S3 (maybe +S1, like Windows 10 defaults to)? Does the 10W “fast boot”/“fast wake up mode” turn into the 0.5W “(deep) standby” after a certain amount of time, or are those the “instant-on” and “energy saving” modes? Can 16GB GDDR6 draw less than the ~2W 8GB GDDR5 draws in the PS4’s lowest rest mode?

It would help if reviewers used Xbox’s own terminology for their tables.

Also, does the console take less time to wake up from “energy saving” mode than from full shutdown?

Last edited:
I'm guessing the 9W is for the "Instant-On" mode, with it being similar to windows' sleep with the RAM powered on?

Still, does the GDDR6 consume that much? I'd guess the memory clock is brought down in this state, right?

I think MS can put the tipicall power usage note of each state in the menu between brackets... so it's totally clear. I would appreciate that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back