Astronomy and space exploration

Got round to watching the presentation, I'll summarise:
Life, life, LIFE, we're not saying its life, life LIFE LIFE, we don't even know what produces phosphiene on earth, life, life LIFE, life

Since Thunderf00t received a fair bit of criticism over his busted video he did a deep dive on the subject
I watched it all. I mostly agree, even though I think it's a bit "simple" to judge life on other planets by the compounds needed in terrestrial life. :rolleyes: We can't assume that all life will be carbon-based and hydrogen dependant like on Earth.

Got round to watching the presentation, I'll summarise:
Life, life, LIFE, we're not saying its life, life LIFE LIFE, we don't even know what produces phosphiene on earth, life, life LIFE, life
Yeah, it was a bit like that. :LOL::LOL: Even then, I'm excited because who knows? The possibility of an unknown form of life is there... yes, along with the possibility of unexplained chemical reactions.

At any rate, I think it's amazing how science evolved so far... the fact that we're even talking about this because we've been able to detect chemical components on another planet. Us not having an explanation yet is a reason to keep pushing things farther (so, let's explore, we shouldn't give up on Venus).

Eh its almost certainly a decomposition of the phosphane thats already in the atmosphere.

Vastly more likely that happens at a higher rate than they calculated than that life evolved on early Venus, migrated into the stratosphere & is somehow still around post runaway greenhouse 'sheltering' in strong sulphuric acid clouds.

Oh also 2020 nearly threw out possibly the worst thing yet the other day: a near Kessler Syndrome event.

An old Russian spy sat & a Chinese booster apparently passed within about 2m of each other, with combined mass of a couple of tons the debris would have caused ~25% increase in chances of orbital collisions.

Speaking of collisions & Thunderf00t, these 2 vids have been really blowing my mind lately
Not the idiocy of the flat earthers or the amazing volume of ranting Thunderf00t is capable of but the demonstration of gas with the bouncy balls :runaway:

I more or less knew it before but I didn't really grok it so to speak :confused:
Previously I more or less visualised gas atoms as having a ~uniform repulsion from each other so a gas would expand/compress trying to equalise the gaps between atoms -> in a theoretical perfectly isolated volume the atoms would find an equilibrium & stop moving other than vibration due to temperature.

But realising that the atoms are bouncing around constantly at such high velocities, off each other & other matter gaining/losing kinetic energy with each collision depending on relative temperature, that the vertical height of the atmosphere is because gas atom trajectories are being affected by gravity at 9.8m/s^2 like any big lump of matter & gas pressure is the force of lots of little kinetic collisions against the solid surface has caused a big mental rework in my understanding of lots of stuff, mainly several phenomena like heating of compressed gas & the speed of smells suddenly makes much more sense :oops:

Oh also 2020 nearly threw out possibly the worst thing yet the other day: a near Kessler Syndrome event.

An old Russian spy sat & a Chinese booster apparently passed within about 2m of each other, with combined mass of a couple of tons the debris would have caused ~25% increase in chances of orbital collisions.

Speaking of collisions & Thunderf00t, these 2 vids have been really blowing my mind lately
Not the idiocy of the flat earthers or the amazing volume of ranting Thunderf00t is capable of but the demonstration of gas with the bouncy balls :runaway:

I more or less knew it before but I didn't really grok it so to speak :confused:
Previously I more or less visualised gas atoms as having a ~uniform repulsion from each other so a gas would expand/compress trying to equalise the gaps between atoms -> in a theoretical perfectly isolated volume the atoms would find an equilibrium & stop moving other than vibration due to temperature.

But realising that the atoms are bouncing around constantly at such high velocities, off each other & other matter gaining/losing kinetic energy with each collision depending on relative temperature, that the vertical height of the atmosphere is because gas atom trajectories are being affected by gravity at 9.8m/s^2 like any big lump of matter & gas pressure is the force of lots of little kinetic collisions against the solid surface has caused a big mental rework in my understanding of lots of stuff, mainly several phenomena like heating of compressed gas & the speed of smells suddenly makes much more sense :oops:
I don't dislike him, he's a quite reasonable fellow, but his videos are unnecessarily long many times! I've only watched the first one (when I can, I'll watch the other one) and, for instance, the last bit about the vacuum dryer was totally unnecessary! He could have addressed that on another video, or he could have done it more quickly, but no, reading lots of comments and repeating bla bla bla, I'm like "ok, I got it, get to the point, next, please".

Professor Dave did the most comprehensive debunking of the flat earth I have watched

What makes me laugh about flat earthers is they believe Antarctica and the south pole don't exist despite the fact you can go there on holiday, theres even a company that organises a marathon at the south pole

Professor Dave did the most comprehensive debunking of the flat earth I have watched

What makes me laugh about flat earthers is they believe Antarctica and the south pole don't exist despite the fact you can go there on holiday, theres even a company that organises a marathon at the south pole
Well d´uh! Everyone knows it's fake company, you can't run marathon on the icewall called "south pole" because the guards will kill anyone getting near! You know who you never hear about? Those who booked vacations there, because they're all dead now!

Well d´uh! Everyone knows it's fake company, you can't run marathon on the icewall called "south pole" because the guards will kill anyone getting near! You know who you never hear about? Those who booked vacations there, because they're all dead now!

They just send those fitness nuts out in a blizzard and have them jog over the edge.

I just don't lose my time with flat earthers, nor reading/discussing about them. I don't even watch debunking material (proofs about the Earth not being flat) because it's so effingly ridiculous that it offends me.

The flat-earth model also puts various locations much farther away from each other than a globe would. The conspiracies assert that direct plane flights between such cities are impossible due to limited range. The airline flights between these airports are therefore categorized as being fake entries on the schedule, or the planes are routinely being sent out to fly in a circle and pretend to come back, or the passengers and pilots are in on the plot/don't exist/crashed in ocean on a weekly basis.

& gas pressure is the force of lots of little kinetic collisions against the solid surface has caused a big mental rework in my understanding of lots of stuff,
If you want something to really blow your mind electrons in an atom can switch between orbitals up to 200 billion times per second

It's all kicking off on astro-ph:

https://arxiv.org/abs/2010.09761

Re-analysis of the 267-GHz ALMA observations of Venus: No statistically significant detection of phosphine
I.A.G. Snellen, L. Guzman-Ramirez, M.R. Hogerheijde, A.P.S. Hygate, F.F.S. van der Tak
Context: ALMA observations of Venus at 267 GHz have been presented in the literature that show the apparent presence of phosphine (PH3) in its atmosphere. Phosphine has currently no evident production routes on the planet's surface or in its atmosphere.

Aims: The aim of this work is to assess the statistical reliability of the line detection by independent re-analysis of the ALMA data.
Methods: The ALMA data were reduced as in the published study, following the provided scripts. First the spectral analysis presented in the study was reproduced and assessed. Subsequently, the spectrum was statistically evaluated, including its dependence on selected ALMA baselines.

Results: We find that the 12th-order polynomial fit to the spectral passband utilised in the published study leads to spurious results. Following their recipe, five other >10 sigma lines can be produced in absorption or emission within 60 km/s from the PH3 1-0 transition frequency by suppressing the surrounding noise. Our independent analysis shows a feature near the PH3 frequency at a ~2 sigma level, below the common threshold for statistical significance. Since the spectral data have a non-Gaussian distribution, we consider a feature at such level as statistically unreliable that cannot be linked to a false positive probability.

Conclusions: We find that the published 267-GHz ALMA data provide no statistical evidence for phosphine in the atmosphere of Venus.

Starship prototype SN8 is fully stacked, being the first fully formed prototype with 3 Raptor engines that will attempt to fly (the one used in the presentation 1 year ago was only able to withstand one pressurization test before blowing out):

Static fire tests with the 3 engines have been performed, already. Now there's left a static fire test using the tank located in the nosecone (the first test of this class) and, after that, hopefully at the end of the month, a test flight of 15 km.

So exciting!

Back