Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

Can anyone explain why it's not necessarily possible to upscale the UI elements with current image upscaling techniques? I was under the impression MS could take that approach for providing something near-native 4K looking for the UI frontend on Series X rather than splurge system resources to a native 4K UI, but in that DF video Rich pretty much says it's not possible.

Are there specific reasons why? Or is it more a case it IS possible but the results wouldn't be good enough or necessarily impressive?

I think UI drawing is so simplistic fast, that doing AI upscalling on it will probably be more costly processing-wise than simply rendering it at native 4k from the get-go. That would be a negative-optimisation then.

Games see gains from DLSS and such because they run thousands of complex operations for every pixel, from texture blending shaders, to PBR surface light response, through screenspace raymarching for GI effects and volumetrics, then post effects on top of all that. All the while UI is rendering a few hundred textured quads...

I imagine the largest performance hog of a 4k render target in the context of an UI becomes simply the large memory bandwith spent on all those pixels, but even that still ends up being the case with AI upscalling, even if rendering at a sub-res you still end up touching all those 4k pixels in the final upscalling pass...

And if its so cheap, might as well do it as preciselly as possible. Of all things, detailed text amd iconography are the ones I shiver the most at the idea of any form of upscaling. Leave them sharp and precise, please. You can blur and halucinate our game's organic 3D worlds all you want, but leave the HUD as readable as technically possible.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-series-x-power-consumption-and-heat-analysis
"I also noted that in instant resume 'standby' mode, the Series X still draws around 29W - enough for me to turn my machine off completely."

This sounds like there may be options for standby mode. If you're concerned about power draw maybe you can opt out of instant resume?

Given how quickly these console can power up. Maybe they should rename the mode from instant resume to background download mode.

Quick resume isn’t dependent on it anymore as you can literally unplug your series x and quick resume will still work after powering back up.

Last edited:
Here about 35 seconds to load an indie game from cold boot. It depends of the game. I saw one with FF15

Then that’s a quick resume issue. How much time would be saved from coming from instant standby? 5 seconds?

Can u point me in the direction of this video because the only one I’ve run across shows FF15 taking only 7 seconds to quick resume? And most cold boot videos for the series x shows about 20 secs to main UI.

Last edited:
I do wonder if even with the console not being in "standby mode", if they could still schedule wake up every 4 hours to do quick online update checks then go back to deep slumber if none are available. Thats the only reason I use standby, to hope it gets the updates out of the way before I want to game.

Seems like those concerned about power usage won't
I do wonder if even with the console not being in "standby mode", if they could still schedule wake up every 4 hours to do quick online update checks then go back to deep slumber if none are available. Thats the only reason I use standby, to hope it gets the updates out of the way before I want to game.
It would be cool if the shutdown screen had a "check for updates" option. Check for new updates, install them and shutdown after installation.

I think having it fully powered down but periodically waking it up to check updates makes a lot of sense. Now that cold boot is quick and Quick Resume is here to let you quickly get back into game, auto updating is the only missing piece.

I think having it fully powered down but periodically waking it up to check updates makes a lot of sense. Now that cold boot is quick and Quick Resume is here to let you quickly get back into game, auto updating is the only missing piece.

Oh i want to move my xbox to the living room to play with my friends. Oh its off let me just unplug it and bring it to the living room{not understanding its doing a back up while shut down}. Plugs it back in and boom error on load up system is now bricked. Hmmm microsoft must make bad products

The issue with online games is that you have to update them to play online, which means waiting for the download plus install if your system isn't on standby when the update is pushed out. Can't they solve this annoyance by publishing updates a day or two before the servers require them so that people with slower connections can pre download (no install yet) and thus only have to wait on the install (which should be way, way faster with legit CPUs and SSDs) when launching the game?

Oh i want to move my xbox to the living room to play with my friends. Oh its off let me just unplug it and bring it to the living room{not understanding its doing a back up while shut down}. Plugs it back in and boom error on load up system is now bricked. Hmmm microsoft must make bad products
?

Back