Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both PS5 and XBSX has soldered on SSD. You better hope that there isn't an issue on either.

I know. My question automatically refers to anything soldered on SSD. Aside from that, of the next gen consoles im only getting the PS5, as my current pc is more then a match for the consoles, where i will enjoy gamepass.
The PS5 will see alot of usage, mostly from my family members, ratched is going to be played alot by the kids, probably over and over again like the ps4 remake. On pc, games typically dont really load worlds in and out or stream massively much (so far). It's kinda a first time we are being tied to a soldered on storage solution. Aside from the 2001 xbox, where one was tied to the HDD via software. But that was easily addressable. Otherwise, if the HDD died, the console basically died with it for the average joe that didnt soft or hardmod, or had access to a chip reader.

I dont think it much matters with reliability.
Yup, RAM and solid state storage are very reliable to manufacture. Solid state is almost always manufactured with banks of redundant cells should there be an issue. Of all the chips in either console, these are the least likely to be an issue. But repairability and, potentially, upgradability, is always good. Assuming spare parts are accessible.

Only PS4 makes the cut and not PS4 Pro?
How did Sony go downhill with the later device?

Unless for Xbox they are arguing it's not in that mode?

When it's in "standby" from the dash perspective it still downloads, patches and other things. I would argue that's quite different to just sitting there with a network connection open ready to quickly boot similar to a TV say.

I have no idea what the minimum is to power enough of the system to patch but I think a deeper state where that does not happen may be required.

I have no idea what the minimum is to power enough of the system to patch but I think a deeper state where that does not happen may be required.
Thinking on it EU regs often allow for worse perf so long as it's not the default and a compliant mode is included, will be interesting to see if this is a choice offered to the user during the OOB setup

30W is more than my last PC used playing a 4k video! how on earth they are using so much in standby is mindblowing,
Though that means a huge amount (order of magnitude at least) of room they have to improve this with later revisions (even just with software)

How ppl really thought this could heat a room just shows you ppl dont actually think, 300W even used purely for heating (which this is doing, as its turning the power into heat) maybe could warm your foot if you're lucky, but certainly not a room. Perhaps a 500W heatpump (similar to a ~1500W heater) would be able to heat a room, but 300W.
If such a thing worked by a miracle then shops would be selling these as low energy use heaters

How ppl really thought this could heat a room just shows you ppl dont actually think, 300W even used purely for heating (which this is doing, as its turning the power into heat) maybe could warm your foot if you're lucky, but certainly not a room. Perhaps a 500W heatpump (similar to a ~1500W heater) would be able to heat a room, but 300W.
If such a thing worked by a miracle then shops would be selling these as low energy use heaters

Very true. It all depends also on how well insulated that room is, a small room could be kept confortably warm with a heater thats outputting less then 300w (non heatpump) o a cold day.
A whole flat or appartment, nah. The XSX won't be heating many rooms, just adding to it, like any other device.

The PS4 has a separate ARM processor to handle Rest Mode tasks like background downloading, only so it was able to achieve <= 5w standby power. Perhaps there's no way to have a SoC like that running at <= 5w power level? Think about how many components must be kept on for simple tasks like downloading (at least a Zen 2 core complex, memory controller and on chip communication fabric, I/O, etc.)

I might be turning it off since cold boot is so fast, 29w can accumulate and become nontrivial on your electricity bill.

Yes 30watts is quite alot, this seperate arm cpu explains it all. MS didnt include one in the xsx?
Neither next gen console has a separate arm processor as far as I know. From my understanding the one in the PS4 didn't exactly work as planned and wasn't able to perform a lot of it's intended functions. Didn't Sony do away with the arm cpu in the PS4 Pro?

30W is more than my last PC used playing a 4k video! how on earth they are using so much in standby is mindblowing,

sadfact
Some time ago circulated a viral video in which an old and sage man used lost knowledge to heat a room with only a candle. No, it didn't use the candle to set the house on fire.
/sadfact

Neither next gen console has a separate arm processor as far as I know. From my understanding the one in the PS4 didn't exactly work as planned and wasn't able to perform a lot of it's intended functions. Didn't Sony do away with the arm cpu in the PS4 Pro?
I think they not only kept it, but also doubled the DDR3 (4?) RAM available for it to 512 MiB. It's the CXG900xxG chip on the motherboard.
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation+4+Pro+Teardown/72946
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation+4+Teardown/19493

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back