Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

So we can’t necessarily trust reviews to tell the full picture because we won’t have it? It’s bad enough that modern games are released in beta states. I hope they have some leeway on the fan noise before it becomes oppressive.

They'll probably add a Jet Engine Firmware update later on :runaway:
Yea that's the nice way of putting it.
I think I see this as
a) start with conservative clocks, make sure nothing happens to PS5.

b) over time, developers request more power from the system. The game is just missing it's mark from holding a locked 30/60, where some strategic use of holding higher clocks will keep it locked for those moments at the cost of fan noise. Give the okay based upon all your fan data if it's doable. It's going to get louder, but you've hit your targets.

c) as the last example provided in that article, if they find that long gaming sessions is causing problems with some users but not all users, then start altering the fan profiles to start cooling aggressively after a certain point to ensure that no users are suffering system issues.

Yea that's the nice way of putting it.
I think I see this as
a) start with conservative clocks, make sure nothing happens to PS5.

b) over time, developers request more power from the system. The game is just missing it's mark from holding a locked 30/60, where some strategic use of holding higher clocks will keep it locked for those moments at the cost of fan noise. Give the okay based upon all your fan data if it's doable. It's going to get louder, but you've hit your targets.

c) as the last example provided in that article, if they find that long gaming sessions is causing problems with some users but not all users, then start altering the fan profiles to start cooling aggressively after a certain point to ensure that no users are suffering system issues.
They are talking about updating the fan control, not the dynamic clock system. Please stop with the unnecessary FUD.

They are talking about updating the fan control, not the dynamic clock system. Please stop with the unnecessary FUD.
I'm talking about fan control.

Fan control are based on fan profiles.
Fan profiles are based on heat
Heat is generated by the power which is a result of clockspeed and activity level.
The gamecode is determines how fast the clockspeed is allowed to run.

So if the developer wants more juice, they can allow certain commands to run at a faster clock rate instead of variably downclocking it. As a result you need more cooling.

Is your assumption that PS5 will stay at 100% 2230Mhz at all times never dipping below? If not, then basically the request is whether Sony wants the run the PS5 closer to 2230 longer then less.

If you can get the fans to run harder to keep the clockspeed up longer. By nature of English, the reverse profile of that would be more conservative.

I wouldn't see why anyone would see this as FUD, it's something only Sony would be allowed to do. They can, if they desire to, trade off fan noise for more performance.

Last edited:
What if online managing of the fan doesnt help abit longer in the generation? They will adjust more then fan variables? I think smartshift could help there.

Actually yeah you are correct. The variable clocks are based on power demands not heat. That being said if Sony is concerned about games in the future generating more heat....then those same games would be demanding more power as well..
all of which makes no sense because you can't request more power if you have nothing to give, they set a hard limit on how much the APU was allowed, and the rest is smart shift.

that's why I assumed with the new fan profiles, they would actually be increasing that limit, if they wanted to.
as per this quote:
For example, if a game is under heavy load for a long period of time, Sony can increase the fan speed to make sure everything's cool - even at the expense of quietness.

otherwise, optimizing fan noise while keeping everything the same would only serve to slow the fan down, for the most part.

So basically a game can control fan speed based on it's usage profile. Totally separate to clock speed and power usage across the board. So if person A lives in a hotter house than person B their fan can run a little bit faster to make up the difference. Whilst person B get a slightly slower fan speed. Seems like a sensible feature.

Plus games devs will get to use the fan speed to add extra sound effects the games :yep2:

So basically a game can control fan speed based on it's usage profile. Totally separate to clock speed and power usage across the board. So if person A lives in a hotter house than person B their fan can run a little bit faster to make up the difference. Whilst person B get a slightly slower fan speed. Seems like a sensible feature.

Plus games devs will get to use the fan speed to add extra sound effects the games :yep2:
That would be how standard fan profiles work.
You only need optimizations for 2 obvious scenarios:
a) reduce the fan noise
b) increase the power to the APU

and an outlier on (c) cooling in advance for some reason that only Machine Learning based algorithms would predict.

all of which makes no sense because you can't request more power if you have nothing to give, they set a hard limit on how much the APU was allowed, and the rest is smart shift.

that's why I assumed with the new fan profiles, they would actually be increasing that limit, if they wanted to.
as per this quote:

otherwise, optimizing fan noise while keeping everything the same would only serve to slow the fan down, for the most part.

When I say "demands more power" i mean the clocks will go down to compensate.

I mean that is how this is working correct? It's variable clocks based on demanding a game is?

Shouldn't that be how it works now?

The PS5 has temperature sensors that tell the fans to speed up or slow down depending on the circumstance.

The only reason to change the fan profile is if Sony finds the max fan speed isn't aggressive enough to adequately cool the hardware in normal setups found in the wild.

When I say "demands more power" i mean the clocks will go down to compensate.

I mean that is how this is working correct? It's variable clocks based on demanding a game is?
Yes, as long as activity level keeps increasing the clocks need to keep coming down as a function of the power limit.
I guess in my mind, an algorithm can be predictive of when power is going to be drawn so that it can pre-cool or begin cooling at a consistent speed even if the clock speeds are variable.
I suppose if my CPU is any indication of a poor fan profile, where it's randomly spins up and goes suddenly dead silent, I suppose a more predictive algorithm would select an average speed that was lower than the peak and kept the system cooler over a longer period of time.

Part of me thinks that's what this optimization is about. And I guess discussing with you guys, we've never really seen a console get re-profiled mid gen. So the likelihood that they will release more power is slim to next to none even if it's a per title basis.

That should mean the fan control profile here, is really about getting that fan noise to be quieter overall as a consistency, and not to be used necessarily as a method to boost console performance.

Back