Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I meant higher than steal.

Don't forget the specific memory configuration on XSX. When the CPU is used (using the slower pool of memory) then it will reduce the total available bandwidth, on top of the regular memory contention. And actually XSX has less L2 cache by CU which means overall there will be more L2 misses on XSX (good thing it has more bandwidth).

In the end, only the games will show us the outcome of those constraints.

Sorry man, I missed this.

In terms of total L2 per CU or TF, XSX should still have the edge due to L2 being directly related to bus width. Though L2 bandwidth is affected by clock speed. So you get into the whole bandwidth vs size vs capacity thing.

CPU access to memory will hurt both machines' GPUs, with access patterns and number of channels probably affecting both a little differently.

And you're right, that's outside the realm of speculation for most of us. In the long term, reality will usually reveal itself.

I think both machines are probably similarly limited (or not) by BW though. I don't see a PS4Pro / X1X situation being replicated wrt bandwidth.

Oh yeah I get that - just saying I said the volumes of the actual innards would be similar. Don’t forget also that you need to keep the one exhaust of the XSX clear, that’s something that is lost in translation.
True that! I am not very comfortable with how the XSX is to be honest. I have a BESTA tv stand and I don't have room to put the XSX vertical behind the TV, and would rather now have it horizontal in the tv stand. However, as you said the exhaust is on the top side of the XSX when in vertical and on its side it will block exhaust air if no sufficient space on the sides. I will have the door open though but it still a little bit concerned. PS5 is a bit easier for me in a way...

True that! I am not very comfortable with how the XSX is to be honest. I have a BESTA tv stand and I don't have room to put the XSX vertical behind the TV, and would rather now have it horizontal in the tv stand. However, as you said the exhaust is on the top side of the XSX when in vertical and on its side it will block exhaust air if no sufficient space on the sides. I will have the door open though but it still a little bit concerned. PS5 is a bit easier for me in a way...

The Series X has a tiny slit on the upper back. I think it will function fine with the top covered as long as the tiny exhaust port that the back is open. Will probably run hotter though.

The Series X has a tiny slit on the upper back. I think it will function fine with the top covered as long as the tiny exhaust port that the back is open. Will probably run hotter though.

That was already tested and temps measured in one of the the preview videos. It's in the Series X thread @ https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2165428/ [Time Stamp of 4:15]

Let's keep this thread about Sony Playstation 5.

Any truth to all the YT comments saying 'sony records our conversation'? If so, how can that be legal in the EU?

It's this. People may report other people using the party chat recordings. Sony will not monitor chats. Sony however can use the sent in party chats recordings and punish people if they deem user has done something that wrong.
https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/16/details-on-new-voice-chat-functionality-coming-to-ps5/

Managing online safety is an important part of ensuring that. We believe that it’s critical that gamers be able to quickly and accurately report abuse or harassment if they experience it while on PlayStation Network. As part of this initiative, we’ve been preparing to roll out a new feature on the PS5 console that enables gamers to report verbal harassment through a new Voice Chat reporting function. Its sole purpose is to help in reporting of inappropriate behavior, including actions that violate our Community Code of Conduct. Please note that this feature will not actively monitor or listen in on your conversations – ever – and it’s strictly reserved for reporting online abuse or harassment.

Once the PS5 console launches, if a PS5 player needs to file a harassment report, they will be able to include up to a 40 second-long Voice Chat clip in their report — 20 seconds of the main conversation with the other player, plus an additional 10 seconds before and after the conversation selection. Only the most recent five minutes of a Voice Chat will be available for a player to use for this reporting function.

These reports can be submitted directly through the PS5 console, and will be sent to our Consumer Experience team for moderation, who will then listen to the recording and take action, if needed. Some submitted reports won’t be valid, and our team will take this as an opportunity to provide guidance and education. There won’t be an option to opt-out of this Voice Chat recording function because we want all users to feel safe when playing with others online, not just those who choose to enable it.

That was already tested and temps measured in one of the the preview videos. It's in the Series X thread @ https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2165428/ [Time Stamp of 4:15]

Let's keep this thread about Sony Playstation 5.

Thanks for the link.

Just saw it. Even if he covered it fully and ran at 60C that's nothing. I've ran a old AMD GPU for at least 6 years that has very uncomfortable heat if you touch the air coming from the back. You can touch the metal bracket at the back for a few seconds and then you'll probably get burnt. It's a 5 series ATI card.

Lets hope they wont make the menus/quick controll centers too complicated, i see alot of small icons there. Maybe one can customize these menus?

-SSD slot can accept <8mm tall heatsink
-2 exhaust holes are provided for SSD slot, take the heat away by negative pressure
-not recommended to use heatsink that are high enough to touch the metal cover

So that means that for example the SN850 we can't install it (the one with the heatsink) because according to Western Digital here are the dimensions in height: 8.8mm and so we can deduce that it is not compatible?

So that means that for example the SN850 we can't install it (the one with the heatsink) because according to Western Digital here are the dimensions in height: 8.8mm and so we can deduce that it is not compatible?

Otori-san said:
There are two exhaust holes for the SSD slot for expansion. Since the expansion slot is near the intake fan, it has a structure that sucks heat from the exhaust hole with negative pressure.

According to WD specifications, the heatsink is for PC only.
On PS5, you don't need to use the heatsink

Trying to work out tests for "is it throttling" is going to be great "fun". Fast travel a lot in an open world game? Repeatedly swap between suspended games? Neither of those is ideal as they are at various points not hitting I/O while the CPU munches through data, giving the drive a chance to cool but least swapping between two games guarantees you at two big read/write cycles.

The use of SSDs will be intense on the next-gen. They will constantly serve as a cache and fulfill the role once exclusively attributed to RAM.
I/O will explode.

?

Seems like if you want to ensure it doesn't throttle you need the heatsink

We're still not sure how it works on the PS5.
Maybe 7Ghz is needed because even if it throttles it's close to PS5's 5.5 needed spec.
Maybe because it might not need to use the 850's controller as much so it won't get that hot because the PS5's ssd controller is the one doing more of the work.
Maybe WD is just providing heatsinks more for aesthetics.

We're still not sure how it works on the PS5.
Maybe 7Ghz is needed because even if it throttles it's close to PS5's 5.5 needed spec.
Maybe because it might not need to use the 850's controller as much so it won't get that hot because the PS5's ssd controller is the one doing more of the work.
Maybe WD is just providing heatsinks more for aesthetics.

Here's my take: Using it for gaming will put it to work. It's not like this is going to be used for opening word docs/regular PC tasks. Therefore it will very likely get hot and if you don't want to risk any throttling....then get the heatsink. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

I decided to revisit an old rumor, and it looks as though it may have been genuine.

• monolithic die ~22.4mm by ~14.1mm
  • 16 Samsung K4ZAF325BM-HC18 in clamshell configuration
  • memory vrm seems like overkill with multiple Fairchild/ON Semiconductor FDMF3170 power stages controlled by an MP2888 from MPS
  • 3 Samsung K4AAG085WB-MCRC, 2 of those close to the NAND acting as DRAM cache (unusual 2GB DRAM per 1 TB NAND)
  • 4 NAND packages soldered to the PCB which are TH58LJT2T24BAEG from Toshiba
  • PS5016-E16 from Phison

Die size: 454x256 pixels is 1.77 aspect ratio. 22.4 x 14.1 is 1.59 aspect ratio. The die size of the latter (316) is in the right ballpark, but a miss on the aspect ratio this large is suspect when they're providing sub mm measurements. The image may be thrown off due to uncorrected angle, but that would worsen the aspect ratio, not lengthen it.

Memory: The higher speed modules may have been necessary to run in a true clamshell configuration. Perhaps they weren't 100% decided at that point, so it's plausible.

VRM: We can't tell part numbers from the shots, but this is plausible because there are similar packages on the board. See this image of a 2080 ti board for comparison of both the power stages and the controller.

Memory: Plausible. Same manufacturer and part line (DDR4). Plenty of DDR4 RAM to match up to 2GB. Though just 512MB would probably be fine.

NAND: They did turn out to be Toshiba NAND from the same series, though the quantity is off. I'll comment here that is very tough to find references to this series online, even scouring the latest device teardowns. This adds a lot of legitimacy, for me.

Controller: Now that we know that the controller is separate from the I/O complex, perhaps it's plausible that it is a custom Phison design rather than Sony (unfortunately we can't see the part number in the video). The E16 was the faster controller available from Phison at the time, maxing out at 5GB/s, which could explain fewer NAND chips.

Summary: If it weren't for the chip aspect ratio, I'd say this indeed looks genuine. It may still be, given the difficulty of nailing down sizes from images, and the fact that chips can undergo revisions (though this one would be significant).

Back