Contact Tracing Apps

Regarding contact tracing, it seems that the UK may be rowing back from the plans for a centralised database and instead will go with the Google/Apple API approach. It seems that they hadn't thought about how utterly illegal it would be under current data protection laws when designing/creating the app.

The only problem there is that, as this government has shown, there is a long-standing policy of UK.gov selecting the option which is most expensive as well as least likely to work correctly. Probably because the decisions are made based on which lobbyist went to school with the PM/Defence Secretary/Home Secretary/Health Secretary at any given time and who is most likely to provide the best backsheesh at a future date (generally through paid directorships).

The vast majority decisions regarding which bidder is awarded any given project are not put to Ministers, rather than Ministers being notified of them. There are ample reports from the NAO of these processes. Typically, selections are made by officials and not even particularly senior ones - I'm not that senior and I've been on two IT project boards in the last 18 months. Some considerably complex projects, where issues span many Government Departments and Agencies, may well involve Cabinet Office to co-ordinate but I'm struggling to recall the last time a major project suppliers was decided by Ministers - as in, who will deliver it, rather than that it needs to be done. I'm sure we're still operating under EU open competition bidding rules.

Regarding contact tracing, it seems that the UK may be rowing back from the plans for a centralised database and instead will go with the Google/Apple API approach. It seems that they hadn't thought about how utterly illegal it would be under current data protection laws when designing/creating the app.

Yes, this has been on the cards since last week. Privacy issues aside, I have my doubts about whether a centralised database would hold up under the strain if even 40% of the UK's population opted in. I can certainly be done, but done in the time they want? Hmmm.. There are numerous benefits of leveraging Apple and Google APIs but I understand decentralising some of the data means giving up some data that might be useful in determining spread. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would have thought speed of privacy would outweigh the data issue given that it comes with a bunch of other risks - timeliness, privacy, legality, will it even work!? :runaway:

Googles solution also won't spy the exact GPS location, it'll trace contact from bt sniffing. Way better than the one used in Indonesia that use GPS and bt

Signal strength is a poor indicator of distance.

Ultrasound allows you to do proper time of flight distance measurement though.

PS. that said, using GPS just to determine which potential bt connected phones are close enough to store as a contact for potential tracing on the phone has no privacy issues. There is no feasible way to collect the GPS data without compromising the app.

Signal strength is a poor indicator of distance.

Ultrasound allows you to do proper time of flight distance measurement though.

PS. that said, using GPS just to determine which potential bt connected phones are close enough to store as a contact for potential tracing on the phone has no privacy issues. There is no feasible way to collect the GPS data without compromising the app.

The app also gather phone number (and each phone number are tied to resident ID Number and Family registry in government database). I don't know what the data is transmitted to their server as I can't start the app without Bluetooth :(

In Italy we have an app called Immuni. It's installable in a voluntary basis. But not many have installed it. It's bluetooth based. I think many fears to be blocked at home by mistake. So they don't install.

In Finland, the voluntary tracing app was launched at the end of August and it has been installed by roughly a third of the whole population. There hasn't been much talk about how much it has been used so far to actually report the exposures, it seems the coming month or so will tell if it helps or not as the volume of the detected cases has increased after the summer.

Do you have an older android os? There seem to be some issues with those, also one where it says you need gps permissions when you only need Bluetooth.

In the Netherlands the app is live. Before it went live nationally (some smaller provinces went live sooner to test) some 800.000 people installed it but afterwards it seems to not have gotten any attention and I haven’t heard about how often it has been installed now.

Oh I forgot, officially they are still waiting for a law to pass to legitimize the app.

I have android 10, It doesnt ask for gps, just bluetooth.
Its not important for me I was just curious as to what info they said with the app, eg you have been close to 7 infected people in the last 24 hours, its pretty pointless here in barcelona as too many ppl have got it, I can see the validity in a country where covid is not widespread

Italian app seems to work fine.... at least from what I know. It's pretty invasive in the phone though. Don't know if it's possible it stops you home for nothing or if it's really helpful.

The UK went live with the Google/Apple based one this week. Not sure what the uptake is. They were advertising on the radio today.

How are other countries doing with these now? Is it helping?

There's no way I'm downloading it. I don't want the government knowing just how boring my life is.

If they can find out the contents of my Aldi receipts, they'll know anyway, but I'm not making it easy for the bastards.

The UK went live with the Google/Apple based one this week. Not sure what the uptake is. They were advertising on the radio today.

How are other countries doing with these now? Is it helping?

Indonesia still use the home grown contact tracing app that was well-known for making phone hot, etc.

I didn't check for its security as it refuse to run under android emulator due to no Bluetooth hardware.

I received a text message today from NHS Test and Trace saying download the Covid-19 app from the App Store/Google Play
But I dont own a smart phone

Dutch one finally went live nation wide today after the required law had passed in both houses.

Introducing the NEW Tory "World beating" Track and Trace system.
LXjUjS2.gif

Back