Cherno Reactions Reactions *spawn* [2020]

Does anyone know what Cherno might be talking about when he says he “disagreed with about half of” DF’s Halo Infinite video? It comes up at the end of his Dirt 5 IGN video analysis (13:41).

I don’t mean this to be contentious, as I’m a huge DF fan, I’m just trying to understand exactly what he could be taking issue with. @Dictator, have you received feedback or learned anything new since posting the video? Maybe you can contact Cherno directly to get his views?

All of this is in the context of how bad Cherno thinks Dirt 5 and Halo Infinite look as “next-gen” games. Admittedly, both are cross-gen, and the Halo footage was already months old at the time it was first publicly shown. The Dirt 5 footage was of “4K/60 gameplay” (per IGN’s description of video), but they don’t specify if it’s framerate or quality mode. The road LOD at 8:15 was particularly jarring. It was like watching the fence shadows draw in on the Nordshleife in Gran Turismo Sport’s “4k” mode. They just materialize five meters out. There’s still time to optimize for 12TF, 16GB, and an SSD, but it’s a bad look for Dirt 5.

Edit: I posted this in the DF thread by mistake, so I’m late to this discussion, but I’d still like Alex’s take.
I recall him mentioning DF stating the game only looks bad in indirect lighting as one of his disagreements.

I think he is quite informative, and I occasionally also visit his main channel, where he has some educational game development vids. I prefer his channel over the other ones (DF, nxgamer, etc).

Regarding Dirt 5: he is on point imo I was disappointed when I saw the issues. What he didn’t talk about: I could not unsee the blocky and texture less back tires of the cars in some shots.

Here is hope that the game improves a lot for release, as I am really interested in Dirt 5. Could be just an issue with the level of detail settings?

Regarding XsX: when will we see a good looking game on this machine? Does MS really launch like this? Don’t they still have a little exclusive secret in the oven maybe - any chance?

PS: regarding this whole “respect the dev” bla bla...I have to admit that this gets harder and harder every day, now that half of the game developer/studios declared war against their customer by introducing exploitive tactics such as microtransactions, early access games at full price, paid early access in general, gacha games, loot boxes, full price games with loot boxes, games as a service, buggy unplayable releases, etc.

Last edited:
I think he is quite informative, and I occasionally also visit his main channel, where he has some educational game development vids. I prefer his channel over the other ones (DF, nxgamer, etc).

Regarding Dirt 5: he is on point imo I was disappointed when I saw the issues. What he didn’t talk about: I could not unsee the blocky and texture less back tires of the cars in some shots.

Here is hope that the game improves a lot for release, as I am really interested in Dirt 5. Could be just an issue with the level of detail settings?

Regarding XsX: when will we see a good looking game on this machine? Does MS really launch like this? Don’t they still have a little exclusive secret in the oven maybe - any chance?

PS: regarding this whole “respect the dev” bla bla...I have to admit that this gets harder and harder every day, now that half of the game developer/studios declared war against their customer by introducing exploitive tactics such as microtransactions, early access games at full price, paid early access in general, gacha games, loot boxes, full price games with loot boxes, games as a service, buggy unplayable releases, etc.

I mean

If i was buying an xbox series x I would pick this up day one. Its running better on this $500 console than my x1700 32 gigs of ram and vega 56. Seems comparable with the 2080 or 2080ti experience maybe a bit better in some places

I also can't wait to see game footage of this

Does anyone know what Cherno might be talking about when he says he “disagreed with about half of” DF’s Halo Infinite video? It comes up at the end of his Dirt 5 IGN video analysis (13:41).

I don’t mean this to be contentious, as I’m a huge DF fan, I’m just trying to understand exactly what he could be taking issue with. @Dictator, have you received feedback or learned anything new since posting the video? Maybe you can contact Cherno directly to get his views?

All of this is in the context of how bad Cherno thinks Dirt 5 and Halo Infinite look as “next-gen” games. Admittedly, both are cross-gen, and the Halo footage was already months old at the time it was first publicly shown. The Dirt 5 footage was of “4K/60 gameplay” (per IGN’s description of video), but they don’t specify if it’s framerate or quality mode. The road LOD at 8:15 was particularly jarring. It was like watching the fence shadows draw in on the Nordschleife in Gran Turismo Sport’s “4k” mode. They just materialize five meters out. There’s still time to optimize for 12TF, 16GB, and an SSD, but it’s a bad look for Dirt 5.

Edit: I posted this in the DF thread by mistake, so I’m late to this discussion, but I’d still like Alex’s take.
Alex took an opportunity to describe why lighting appeared flat on Halo. Not why it looked bad. The time of day moves really fast in that video, which is imo why things change so quickly if you track the position of the suns. cherno said he agreed with about 50% of the video. Which thinking about it and how the engine just wasn’t rendering things may be more accurate than just being a GI problem.

I posted a message on his community and asked him to review. I certainly looks a lot better than most recent gameplay shown on the XBSX.

However, the following scene is poor quality imo. The rest of the video seems better just this scene is poor.

What’s next gen about it? Cherno is looking for next gen rendering techniques. This is just last years stuff set to ultra, 4K, 60 and 120fps. Which are all next gen checkbox features as opposed to new rendering techniques.

To my knowledge, no "next-gen" looking games for the SeriesX have been shown, nor are there any solid release dates for when these will be coming for the console at the moment. There's not even a single game with raytracing enabled at launch, apparently.
This goes hand-in-hand with all the rumors claiming the PS5's devkits came well ahead and more mature than the SeriesX ones, and also with the fact that Microsoft's H1 2020 demo reels said they were running on PCs whereas Sony's said they were running on the PS5.

Microsoft's messaging for this generation was spot-on IMO, but the next-gen content is nowhere to be seen. I think this is what's leaving The Cherno so frustrated, and why he seems increasingly aggressive for each SeriesX trailer he's been asked to review.

What’s next gen about it? Cherno is looking for next gen rendering techniques. This is just last years stuff set to ultra, 4K, 60 and 120fps. Which all checkbox features as opposed to new rendering techniques.
Apparently it's supposed to have upgrades over the XBox One X version. But I don't know. At least it's apparently running on the XBSX.

It does look slightly better than the XBox One X version, world looks a bit more vibrant. It could be my imagination though.

Last edited:
What’s next gen about it? Cherno is looking for next gen rendering techniques. This is just last years stuff set to ultra, 4K, 60 and 120fps. Which are all next gen checkbox features as opposed to new rendering techniques.
He's looking for the best examples of games, especially on next gen, it didn't have to be next gen or some new rendering technique. He's done videos on PS4 games for example.

Also
Gears makes user of features that have only just been included into unreal, i.e. the type of GI and/or AO.

Regardless if it's not using RT it's still probably will be one of the best looking XSX games from now and even at launch.

All of this is in the context of how bad Cherno thinks Dirt 5 and Halo Infinite look as “next-gen” games. Admittedly, both are cross-gen, and the Halo footage was already months old at the time it was first publicly shown. The Dirt 5 footage was of “4K/60 gameplay” (per IGN’s description of video), but they don’t specify if it’s framerate or quality mode. The road LOD at 8:15 was particularly jarring. It was like watching the fence shadows draw in on the Nordschleife in Gran Turismo Sport’s “4k” mode. They just materialize five meters out. There’s still time to optimize for 12TF, 16GB, and an SSD, but it’s a bad look for Dirt 5.

I've still not seen this video but I've seen a bunch of his other 'reaction/analysis' videos including his takes on the Unreal Engine 5 reveal, Halo Infinite reveal, Mark Cerny's The Road to PS5, the Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart reveal, and the Ghost of Tsushima preview. He got some attention with his Unreal 5 reveal reaction and this was a great video because he's an engine guy and he's commenting on another game engine.

But he's now strayed into console games and he's coming to many of these games with without any context. They're mostly "hot take" videos and I think what you say here is on the nail. He's said time and time again he's a PC gamer and I very the impression that he doesn't care much about consoles gaming, e.g. he made a comment during one of the parts on the Road to PS5 that he saw the specs for PS5 a couple of yers back when at EA but couldn't remember them. I think for most of us folks who live and breath console gaming, if we knew the PS5 specs two years ago, that's the kind of thing that would stick in your head. :yes:

Pretty much all of his analysis is coming from the perspectives the engine driving the games. Unfortunately the Xbox games he's looked at were both crossgen (Halo and Dirt 5) whereas for PS5 he was really impressed by Ratchet & Clank which is of course nextgen only. He's just not understanding what it is he's looking at :nope: He really doesn't make any of this clear, this is just what I've picked up from having watched maybe five or six of his videos.

We
He's looking for the best examples of games, especially on next gen, it didn't have to be next gen or some new rendering technique. He's done videos on PS4 games for example.

Also
Gears makes user of features that have only just been included into unreal, i.e. the type of GI and/or AO.

Regardless if it's not using RT it's still probably will be one of the best looking XSX games from now and even at launch.
Well I was under the impression that eastman posted the Gear 5 video here because it has the XBSX upgrades added. If that's not the case, then it's not my fault if Cherno bashes the XBSX.

Last edited:
We

Well I was under the impression that eastman posted the Gear 5 video here because it has the XBSX upgrades added. If that's not the case, then it's not my fault if Cherno bashes the XBSX.
Unsure if you quoted me by mistake.
I've not watched the video.
Pretty much all of his analysis is coming from the perspectives the engine driving the games. Unfortunately the Xbox games he's looked at were both crossgen (Halo and Dirt 5) whereas for PS5 he was really impressed by Ratchet & Clank which is of course nextgen only. He's just not understanding what it is he's looking at :nope: He really doesn't make any of this clear, this is just what I've picked up from having watched maybe five or six of his videos.
From what I remember he was impressed by spiderman m:m, horizon zero dawn, both of which are crossgen I believe.

Very few people was impressed by halo even while understanding its crossgen (and lets be honest one of the reasons for the delay)
Even if you know dirt is crossgen many people don't think it looks that impressive, could be due to GDK, state of play, just the way it's going to be, but it's still what MS is essentially putting out there.

Last edited:

Eternal looks more impressive to me. Also seems to run better on equal hardware.

I’ve now seen his video and the footage he was looking at was pretty bad. I don’t know what the source of the footage was but it’s definitely the worst footage I’ve seen of Dirt 5.
Thought you had watched it.

Halo and that video, you can't really say are good examples of even what you would expect from a crossgen title.

I feel the need to reiterate that I'm not saying dirt is a bad game, but that footage especially isn't something I would use as something to show off XSX.

Trouble is there isn't really anything, even gameplay trailer of games coming in the future that are running on XSX.

I've not watched the XSX Gears one, but wouldn't be surprised if it's currently the best example at the moment.
Should be some decent captures soon now that it's been whitelisted.

it has features even the pc doesn't have in addition to
2Zs4LP_0PcsiHxJ00

Isn't this just a list of the feature set that is already available on the PC Ultra spec?

the twitter post speaks about features that aren't in the pc version. Under it is features that were enabled from the pc version
for some reason twitter isn't working. If you click it you will see a dev respond

Isn't this just a list of the feature set that is already available on the PC Ultra spec?

Pretty much, but that's a good thing as well. More than likely the PC version will still have better AO, and of course the potential for higher resolutions/framerates if you have the hardware. And for a $500 box to be rendering GOW 5 mostly at PC ultra settings is pretty damn impressive. :yep2:

Back