Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I hope they work more on remote play. Microsofts quick resume feature works on remote play so you can pick up on your phone exactly where you left off on the console.

Wait. Doesn't the PS4 Remote Play have access through Rest mode for years now? Maybe I'm misremembering things.

Even if there's no Quick Resume that toggles quickly from game to game to game, it's not a big deal as long as remote play can wake your PS5 from rest and rest mode is efficient.

What both should do is allow streaming of games without home consoles as long as you own the game or disc specially for poor fuggers like me who couldn't get a ps5 on time :mrgreen:

Wait. Doesn't the PS4 Remote Play have access through Rest mode for years now? Maybe I'm misremembering things.

Even if there's no Quick Resume that toggles quickly from game to game to game, it's not a big deal as long as remote play can wake your PS5 from rest and rest mode is efficient.

What both should do is allow streaming of games without home consoles as long as you own the game or disc specially for poor fuggers like me who couldn't get a ps5 on time :mrgreen:

Yes rest mode on PS4 allows it to be woken up via your phone has been like that for years

I really think that ought to be a feature for both consoles' ecosystems: if you own a digital game, you can stream it on any streaming compatible device.

Given all the recent noise around XCloud on iOS (and really, Epic and the wider duopoly debate) it's clear there are still too many legal, technical, and financial hurdles in the way at the moment.

Maybe next generation. In which case, brace for $1000 consoles.

I'm only half kidding.

I really think that ought to be a feature for both consoles' ecosystems: if you own a digital game, you can stream it on any streaming compatible device.

Given all the recent noise around XCloud on iOS (and really, Epic and the wider duopoly debate) it's clear there are still too many legal, technical, and financial hurdles in the way at the moment.

Maybe next generation. In which case, brace for $1000 consoles.

I'm only half kidding.

We'll get to something like that eventually.

I think we're pretty much there? PS4 could stream to Vita, PC, Mac and many types of mobile devices. We're getting to the point where you won't even need apps, just a web browser although it's a bit trickier to work around some web technologies, browser implementations and you will never have control about problematic plugins and other privacy settings users may have.

Effective volume foot print is still roughly 50% more than XSX which is still what matters. Those curves will not make it easier to fit it in cabinets :)
Oh yeah I get that - just saying I said the volumes of the actual innards would be similar. Don’t forget also that you need to keep the one exhaust of the XSX clear, that’s something that is lost in translation.

Quick resume is not really about toggling from game to game. You can turn your console off, take out the power plug and when you start it back up, you can jump back into the game exactly where you left it. This applies to remote play aswell, you can start it from rest mode and jump back into the game at the exact moment you left it last. Neither PS4 or Xbox One manage this, you can wake them from rest and start a game but you will have to go through menues and start from a save slot. This is more like when you play Switch docked and then undock it and continue at the exact same spot in the game

Here in the UK, Amazon UK have notified me that my second DualSense controller and PS5 Media remote will be delivered on 12 November, with my Xbox Series X. The PS5 itself launches a week later. That's just going to be weird! :yep2:

What I do need to find before 12 November, is a decent HDMI splitter. My LG only has four HDMI ports and they are currently filled by the MacMini (Kodi), Gaming PC over a long-arse HDMI cable, Switch and PS4. I'm thinking the MacMini and Switch can share a HDMI port through a splitter that preferably does not require more power. Does anybody have any suggestions for decent ones in the UK?

Just before the first login, Switcher icon looked like it promotes multitasking:

ZDFdTq6.png

And News and Screenshots cards are promoted to the front of the cue only after coming out of rest mode.

Just before the first login, Switcher icon looked like it promotes multitasking:

ZDFdTq6.png

And News and Screenshots cards are promoted to the front of the cue only after coming out of rest mode.
I wonder if the music icon means we'll get music playback during gameplay?

edit: to clarify, I mean at launch. Lots of given features from a previous gen tend to disappear when new consoles launch.

Last edited:
Here in the UK, Amazon UK have notified me that my second DualSense controller and PS5 Media remote will be delivered on 12 November, with my Xbox Series X. The PS5 itself launches a week later. That's just going to be weird! :yep2:
Would be funny if they than cancel your PS5 preorder after they send you the controller :devilish: ;)

That they send the accessories before the actual console is really a bit odd. But it makes sense from another perspective. Currently (because of the corona virus) many delivery services are working on their capacity limit. Sending tenth of thousands units (per country) could already be a problem. So sending accessories in advance makes sense so everything should really be available on launch day for the user.

I think we're pretty much there? PS4 could stream to Vita, PC, Mac and many types of mobile devices. We're getting to the point where you won't even need apps, just a web browser although it's a bit trickier to work around some web technologies, browser implementations and you will never have control about problematic plugins and other privacy settings users may have.

Technologically, I agree that we're pretty much there, but there are still a bunch of roadblocks to being able to buy and play PS5 games without owning the console. For one, it needs a node shrink before it can be placed in server farms. Then there's the issue (and related issues) of the app stores.

Is it Amazon who are skirting the issue by going browser based for Luna? If so - and I've not been having rather pathetic dreams - it seems the wider market is getting there, which is encouraging, but the timeframe is difficult to guess.

What I do need to find before 12 November, is a decent HDMI splitter. My LG only has four HDMI ports and they are currently filled by the MacMini (Kodi), Gaming PC over a long-arse HDMI cable, Switch and PS4. I'm thinking the MacMini and Switch can share a HDMI port through a splitter that preferably does not require more power. Does anybody have any suggestions for decent ones in the UK?

From my limited experience, an HDMI switch will be better than a splitter. I got a splitter for PSVR (thanks to Sony deciding to make PSVR's HDMI passthrough incompatible with HDR. Fucking clowns) and in order for the resolution and HDR information to remain intact, I have to unplug the splitter, unplug one HDMI lead, plug in the other, and then turn on the splitter. It's not too arduous, but it's still a pain in the arse.

Would be funny if they than cancel your PS5 preorder after they send you the controller :devilish: ;)
This is why I switched to Amazon from GAME in the UK. Amazon know their pre-order allocation and only allow pre-orders of that number. Once you get that email, you know you have a unit confirmed for day one delivery. Unless a ship sinks, truck overturns or warehouse explodes - obviously!

From my limited experience, an HDMI switch will be better than a splitter. I got a splitter for PSVR (thanks to Sony deciding to make PSVR's HDMI passthrough incompatible with HDR. Fucking clowns) and in order for the resolution and HDR information to remain intact, I have to unplug the splitter, unplug one HDMI lead, plug in the other, and then turn on the splitter. It's not too arduous, but it's still a pain in the arse.
Yeah, apologies I meant a switch - hence why I asked for one that does not require more power. I don't need a switch with a remote, I'm not going to be switching that often.

Quick resume is not really about toggling from game to game. You can turn your console off, take out the power plug and when you start it back up, you can jump back into the game exactly where you left it. This applies to remote play aswell, you can start it from rest mode and jump back into the game at the exact moment you left it last. Neither PS4 or Xbox One manage this, you can wake them from rest and start a game but you will have to go through menues and start from a save slot. This is more like when you play Switch docked and then undock it and continue at the exact same spot in the game

Wait. Are you sure the PS4 doesn't have the feature where you leave it at rest then resume?

"The Xbox One has a similar feature, but it only works for one game at a time, and it also could cause instability in certain games. "

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-series-xs-quick-resume-game-changer-quite-literally

I'm not trying to be snarky because I'm not really sure about it myself. Doesn't the Ps4 allow rest mode/game suspension? I always use rest mode on PS4. I don't have to load a save slot at all. Is what you're saying a PS Remote Play

2:13

Remote Play access was slow but when he got into the PS4, the game was suspended from the menu. No need to start from a save slot.

Wait. Are you sure the PS4 doesn't have the feature where you leave it at rest then resume?

"The Xbox One has a similar feature, but it only works for one game at a time, and it also could cause instability in certain games. "

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-series-xs-quick-resume-game-changer-quite-literally

I'm not trying to be snarky because I'm not really sure about it myself. Doesn't the Ps4 allow rest mode/game suspension? I always use rest mode on PS4. I don't have to load a save slot at all. Is what you're saying a PS Remote Play

2:13

Remote Play access was slow but when he got into the PS4, the game was suspended from the menu. No need to start from a save slot.
It does allow resume from remote play but you are limited to that one game only. If you want to access another game you have to load it first.

It does allow resume from remote play but you are limited to that one game only. If you want to access another game you have to load it first.

Thanks. Yeah, that's what I was saying. It made it sound like the you have to load a save game in rest mode.

Worst case scenario, the PS5 will have to relaunch the game in double time that of the xbox. Change game > boot from start > load save.
I do wonder about earlier OS rumors that PS5 could start segments of the games from the main menu/OS, maybe it'll even be better than that as an indirect answer to xbox quick resume.

Back