Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

temps, what a cool console

EkYNx9CX0AMl2w5

By definition that's bull. Temperature =/= Heat and it's nice seeing Xbox PR completely oblivious to that fact.

And if Power consumption is greater than the XBX, by all means it should put out more heat.

By definition that's bull. Temperature =/= Heat and it's nice seeing Xbox PR completely oblivious to that fact.

And if Power consumption is greater than the XBX, by all means it should put out more heat.
Xbox News isn't an official channel btw.

But as per the tests, the XSX uses much less power than X1X on the same title because of the backwards compatibility kicking in. It only needs to issue an instruction every 4 cycles like regular GCN, whereas with RDNA titles, it'll be issuing them up to every cycle.

The loading is still not fast enough. Dirt5 takes 10 seconds for cold boot and Yakuza like a dragon is even longer. Dirt 5 takes over 15 seconds to load a level.

It makes you wonder how optimised these games are. The graphics engine could have had some effort applied but the assets packs and I/O pipelines may not have been uniquely re-built to best leverage performance from the solid state storage. Dirt 5 in particular is going to sell way more copies on current gen and you can bet the file I/O and check-in pipelines are optimal for current gen hardware. Building new I/O pipelines is non-trivial so these may be relatively low-effort. Hopefully Codemasters will be able to speak on this, they were pretty chatty with DF at the end last month.

I do believe the xbox series one will be more quiet than the ps5
but all these tests of it playing title A on xbox one vs xbox one series X are BS they just see how it will perform playing old titles (at higher res/framerate)
its like me playing djokovic in tennis for 30 mins and then tested our heartrate, mines at 150bpm and his is at resting speed and he hasnt even started sweating, well duh

the tests have to be like for like, eg RDR2 vs RDR3 (yes RDR3 or GTV6 etc arent out yet) but we have to see how it performs with something that is actually gonna tax the system, not something running in backward-compatible mode, perhaps microsoft flight simulation is a good test, as that should be playable on the xbox series s/x and looks at high settings to be next gen
why arent they testing that?

Some places did test out SeriesX optimized games (Gears 5 or Gears Tactics most likely?), and thats where they say it was 190 Watts SeriesX and 185 Watts OneX. So you can see that was indeed more taxing than Tweakers site that used RDR2 at only 128 Watts.

With that said, I would not be surprised to see genuine next-gen titles hitting ~250 Watts on SeriesX (with rated PSU of 300 Watts). I would not expect more than 265 Watts.

As to not testing with FlightSim 2020, its not an available title to anyone yet (except perhaps internal MS Employees). I see mixed reports on launch date for console, some were saying early 2021.

Some places did test out SeriesX optimized games (Gears 5 or Gears Tactics most likely?), and thats where they say it was 190 Watts SeriesX and 185 Watts OneX. So you can see that was indeed more taxing than Tweakers site that used RDR2 at only 128 Watts.
Yep, I believe that tactics is the most demanding at the moment.
but all these tests of it playing title A on xbox one vs xbox one series X are BS they just see how it will perform playing old titles (at higher res/framerate)
People been demanding these tests due to the reports (fanboy?) of it heating the whole house up.

But they can only test with what is available. And even BC and crossgen tests aren't useless as it gives nice indication of efficiency gains for those use cases. Just not indication of max usage.

Either way it shows that those reports was exaggerated or just nonsense.

Yep, I believe that tactics is the most demanding at the moment.

People been demanding these tests due to the reports (fanboy?) of it heating the whole house up.

But they can only test with what is available. And even BC and crossgen tests aren't useless as it gives nice indication of efficiency gains for those use cases. Just not indication of max usage.

Either way it shows that those reports was exaggerated or just nonsense.
This is the most demanding game!!!

Mate doing from 16nm (xbxox one) to 7nm (xbox one series x/s) of course its gonna use less power/make less heat to do the same thing
these fanboys were obviously talking out of their asses, 300 watts max power I assumed, thats only the heat output of 3 ppl

but like I said with the tennis analogy we dont get an idea of how well djokovic is performing when hes playing against ppl like me, we need to see him playing against nadal/federer (gears tactics aint federer, flightsim 2020 which has been out for a couple of months already on PC, should give a more accurate idea of how it will perform)

This is the most demanding game!!!
Would you also like to see where the menus have put the most load on gpus? I'll leave you to see if I'm pulling your leg or not.

Anyway, can be many reasons, is that the only game that uses VRS and possibly other RDNA2 features?

Factually its been found to be what heats up the console most, regardless of the reasons or if you think it should or not.

So let me get this straight, they use the most demanding games they can to report on concerns that have been raised. And your view is that they shouldn't bother put facts out there to put it to bed because no game out is demanding enough. Therefore it's worthless.
Or test with games that don't exist on the platform, which has been highlighted to you.

I for one found it interesting to see how it performed with cross gen/patched and BC games.

Gears 5 is well optimized but that doesnt mean its not demanding. 3080 and Big Navi only manage 70ish fps on 4K Ultra. And SeiesXbox was running the updated version, not the BC version

Gears 5 is well optimized but that doesnt mean its not demanding. 3080 and Big Navi only manage 70ish fps on 4K Ultra. And Sexbox was running the updated version, not the BC version
Yea, the only non BC games they had access to was
Dirt 5
Yakuza

Then when full embargo was being lifted
Gears 5
Gears tactics

Gears 5 is well optimized but that doesnt mean its not demanding. 3080 and Big Navi only manage 70ish fps on 4K Ultra. And Sexbox was running the updated version, not the BC version

Cpu is still probably under utilised although the 120fps mode may be giving it a better work out, SSD also not being exploited anywhere near as much as a true next gen game.

We will need to wait for a later game that's really whipping the hardware to see how it compares properly.

Good numbers tho for BC tho and certainly not overheating, daft fud.

It makes you wonder how optimised these games are. The graphics engine could have had some effort applied but the assets packs and I/O pipelines may not have been uniquely re-built to best leverage performance from the solid state storage. Dirt 5 in particular is going to sell way more copies on current gen and you can bet the file I/O and check-in pipelines are optimal for current gen hardware. Building new I/O pipelines is non-trivial so these may be relatively low-effort. Hopefully Codemasters will be able to speak on this, they were pretty chatty with DF at the end last month.
I almost wanted to say the SeriesX version of dirt5 was likely just 120fps and resolution and they kept largely the Xbox one settings. PC ultra looked way better.

this may have been because dirt 5 is due out tomorrow. But the next gen versions weren’t needed to be completed until next month.

It’s a look at incomplete work, but MS seems comfortable as using it as marketing material. In my mind, The settings there for dirt I’m nearly confident I could run the same settings on my 1070 and get similar performance.

Another preview (in Dutch) https://tweakers.net/reviews/8252/3/xbox-series-x-onze-eerste-indrukken-en-tests-meten-is-weten.html

They used RDR2 for these tests (auto-translated to English) -- One X at 65 °C, Series X at 48 °C. They have some FLIR images, so give it a look.

It's possible the Digital Foundry teardown (or build-up) video had a version of the power supply that is different from production, but if not that unit had a full shield of some kind on the upper surface. It would make sense that something like the PSU wouldn't have a direct path for debris to fall on components that typically have higher operating temperatures. The One X PSU has openings at the rear of the case. The difference in what a FLIR camera shows is often substantially a question of what the designs choose to make directly visible.

original measures are from Tweakers
I may have missed where they listed the PC temp numbers. Those seem sub-idle of the actual silicon, but it may show that way on a FLIR shot at certain angles.

You know, something I'm starting to see is people referring to the next gen Xbox as Xbox Series. If we look at the naming scheme, that kind of matches with the XBO generation, except instead of getting a base console and then a shrunk console + enthusiast console midgen, we're just skipping the base console and going directly to that midgen dichotomy.

XBOX One
  • XBOX One S
  • XBOX One X
XBOX Series
  • XBOX Series S
  • XBOX Series X
So, I think I might start referring to these consoles as XBS-S and XBS-X.

Also, someone kick MS for coming up with weird names.

Regards,
SB

Also, someone kick MS for coming up with weird names
At least they didnt use the auto market naming, where you have a dozen different models in the same family, like Honda Civic -- Type R, Coupe, SI Coupe, Sedan, SI Sedan, Hatchback; to be combined with trims in various ways LX, Sport, EX, EX-L, Si, Turing.

Back