How to sell next-gen consoles, Marketing, Positioning, and Pricing [2020]

It is not a bit strange that we still haven’t seen any actual gameplay showing true next gen stuff on the Xbox series, unlike the ps5. They should be hyping the console.
I wonder if in under a month when we have the actual comparisons, we will see the Xbox has more pixels but the ps5 has prettier pixels at least in the initial games.

Wasnt this true last gen aswell though? PS4 had the prettier first party lineup, the question will be wich console has higher frames and more native 4K and better RT in multiplat titles

I’m not talking about first party, I’m talking about the games that appear on both platforms, I.e they may not look the same.
We will see if my speculation is wrong in 4 weeks.

It does seem like a marketing flub on MS part, which is strangely uncharacteristic of them this cycle as so far they've been by far the more open company. Clearly even the anemic first party line up for launch is coming in screaming hot

Wasnt this true last gen aswell though? PS4 had the prettier first party lineup, the question will be wich console has higher frames and more native 4K and better RT in multiplat titles
Not really Ryse Son of Rome was no slouch in the looks department on launch for Xbox One, iirc at the time folks largely preferred the MS exclusive line up but the cost diff and the poor 3rd party perf tipped it for PS4

It is not a bit strange that we still haven’t seen any actual gameplay showing true next gen stuff on the Xbox series, unlike the ps5. They should be hyping the console.
I wonder if in under a month when we have the actual comparisons, we will see the Xbox has more pixels but the ps5 has prettier pixels at least in the initial games.
Not really strange.
From my perspective, just very bad planning and their view of what a console needs for launch.

If you're looking for non cross gen titles to show, they don't have any yet.
They should have access to some nice looking third party cross gen ones but the GDK seemed to be behind, so maybe there not ready to be shown yet, probably going to be close for launch.
It does seem like a marketing flub on MS part, which is strangely uncharacteristic of them this cycle as so far they've been by far the more open company. Clearly even the anemic first party line up for launch is coming in screaming hot
when it comes to showing games this cycle its pretty much their MO, apart from that they have been pretty on point.

I don't think missing out on a launch game is a big deal with BC and 3rd parties picking up the slack. There will be plenty to play on the Xbox Series S/ X at launch. I mean is the xbox having trouble selling out of preorders ? I think it will be after the Holidays that will be the important time to have a strong First party title. I don't know what is going on with halo but if they can have it ready for March or April that could be more than enough to keep the xbox's selling out post holiday through june and maybe into the summer and hopefully they have more in the fall.

I mean is the xbox having trouble selling out of preorders ? I think it will be after the Holidays that will be the important time to have a strong First party title.
Even though I've said that they have a window to still have something decent to show after release.

I also don't think you should think that because it's selling out, its doing well.
The trouble is that can mask if momentum and mindshare isn't good.
By the time you realise because you can then fulfill demand it is too late. At that point sales drop off and the competition is pushing on strong.
Pretty much what happened this gen.

The initial launch is going to sell out regardless, but that's not a true indication of momentum and demand.

I mean, I think many xbox purchasers this year would be okay with a Halo Infinite Beta: to test the service while waiting for the full game to release. Though MP being already free, would ask questions as to why to ever take it offline once coming online.

I mean, I think many xbox purchasers this year would be okay with a Halo Infinite Beta: to test the service while waiting for the full game to release. Though MP being already free, would ask questions as to why to ever take it offline once coming online.
Halo is going to be big, but how big is dependent on a lot of factors now.

I don't think they should just rely on halo, and we don't know just how near or far that is now.

I think they was right to show things that are further out even CG, trouble is it wasn't balanced with any gameplay reveals that are close, well not what most would consider impressive looking even though may be good games.

Even though I've said that they have a window to still have something decent to show after release.

I also don't think you should think that because it's selling out, its doing well.
The trouble is that can mask if momentum and mindshare isn't good.
By the time you realise because you can then fulfill demand it is too late. At that point sales drop off and the competition is pushing on strong.
Pretty much what happened this gen.

The initial launch is going to sell out regardless, but that's not a true indication of momentum and demand.

What I am saying is that even if they had a huge holiday title it wouldn't change their sales numbers. Its much better to have a big title early next year to get people excited and halo will do that job. What they need is games after that esp for next holiday.

You're overestimating how much impact Halo has, Sure it was huge and essential for the console when the xbox came out but its importance has greatly lessened over the years, like Madden, Final Fantasy, Tekken etc

According to NPD these are some of the shooters that sold better than Halo 5 just on the Xbox One

Call of Duty: WW2
Call of Duty: Black Ops 3
Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Battlefield 1
Star Wars Battlefront
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Destiny 2

and considering most/all of those games were out for the ps4, you're looking at all of them selling at least 3x whatever halo 5 did. Its like sony and Gran Tourismo, It used to be a big seller but tastes change, its now just another sony title, sure one of the bigger sony titles, but its been eclipsed by others

You're overestimating how much impact Halo has, Sure it was huge and essential for the console when the xbox came out but its importance has greatly lessened over the years, like Madden, Final Fantasy, Tekken etc

According to NPD these are some of the shooters that sold better than Halo 5 just on the Xbox One

Battlefield 1
Star Wars Battlefront
Destiny 2

and considering most/all of those games were out for the ps4, you're looking at all of them selling at least 3x whatever halo 5 did. Its like sony and Gran Tourismo, It used to be a big seller but tastes change, its now just another sony title, sure one of the bigger sony titles, but its been eclipsed by others

I agree but Halo would have still be a big game for launch.

Battlefield 1
Star Wars Battlefront
Destiny 2

So Halo is not as popular as COD franchise , the Star Wars franchise and a single battlefield game and destiny 2 and so its a worthless title ? Halo is still a large name in gaming and a halo with a huge multiplayer base across multiple generations and platforms can have quite a long life.

Its also going to appeal to people who are going to buy a $500 console since they are more likely to have been part of the core gamers

That's strange, I thought Halo was a considerably superior franchise that what is actually is.
Then again, I lost track of it shortly after it became a console exclusive, and I guess with the Xbox One's userbase the franchise's TAM dropped significantly.

Battlefield 1
Star Wars Battlefront
Destiny 2

Wait a minute..
Infinite Warfare, which was completely trounced by critics, sold more than Battlefield V that was beloved by critics?

Halo is still a significant franchise. But as most franchises tend to be, it’s only as good as it’s last title; see Bioware. Though it continues to be arguably the best arena shooter on console, the formula for players has changed. Innovation is needed for it to be relevant in today’s FPS space which is constantly under going change.

They have an opportunity to make something that is unique to Halo and difficult to follow, but it’s not easy getting that formula right.

with the game now launching cross gen and PC and cross play, I’m fairly positive it will be a bigger deal than Halo 5.

That's strange, I thought Halo was a considerably superior franchise that what is actually is.
Then again, I lost track of it shortly after it became a console exclusive, and I guess with the Xbox One's userbase the franchise's TAM dropped significantly.

Wait a minute..
Infinite Warfare, which was completely trounced by critics, sold more than Battlefield V that was beloved by critics?
I could never get into the older era settings. I think most people just wanted more modern warfare.

What I am saying is that even if they had a huge holiday title it wouldn't change their sales numbers. Its much better to have a big title early next year to get people excited and halo will do that job. What they need is games after that esp for next holiday.
Yup, all three consoles would sell out regardless, but part of getting consoles into homes before Christmas is that this has traditionally been good place for natural social marketing of technology to occur, people spend more time with friends and family and Christmas and new fun products like consoles may get quite a lot of attention by visitors.

Seeing/playing games that you can't play on your console may drive your desire to buy that product where previously you hadn't really thought about it, or had but dismissed it. You can say what you like about Killzone Shadow Fall and Knack gameplay-wise, but they looked the dog's bollocks on PS4 at Christmas 2013. Even if you couldn't buy a console right then and there, it was now on your radar. Had you only been able to see Uncharted 2 at higher res or Fallout 3 not crash so much, maybe you wouldn't be as impressed. Actually, I take that back that second one. :yep2:

Of course in many countries this year, COVID will limit the social viral spread of a whole bunch of products.

I could never get into the older era settings. I think most people just wanted more modern warfare.
Battlefield 1 and COD WW2 are in that list. I don't think that's the issue at all.

Battlefield V was just a poorly directed and poorly marketed game.

Back