Microsoft acquires ZeniMax Media (Bethesda, id Software, Arkane + 5 more) [2020-09-21, 2021-03-09]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of curiosity, without knowing what Microsoft's plan, how have you come to the conclusion that it has a good chance of being successful?
Even if it wasn't compared to XO as I said.

It's based on everything they've been doing over the years.
I have specific issues like with their marketing, messaging and a couple other decisions. But as a whole, I think they have compelling hardware, prices, services, and are investing in games via what they have been doing with purchases like ZeniMax.

Regarding specifically ZeniMax, xbox handling of studios is very deferent than before, so I expect the studios to deliver decent games, although Xbox seems to have oversight issues going by halo, yet I still think they should be able to pump out a few decent games between them.

So I think the purchase will be successful in giving xbox decent 1P lineup and 1P game feed into GP.

Last edited:
So I think the purchase will be successful in giving xbox decent 1P lineup and 1P game feed into GP.
I agree. I also hope Microsoft can increase the output from Bethesda Game Studios because I don't want any of BGS's teams to be spending time putting nextgen lipstick on more versions of nextgen Skyrim.

I agree. I also hope Microsoft can increase the output from Bethesda Game Studios because I don't want any of BGS's teams to be spending time putting nextgen lipstick on more versions of nextgen Skyrim.
If anything get it out the way quickly, is best you can probably hope for.
It's almost on the same amount of devices as Minecraft.
Do you think a remaster would actually be a cheap but worth while thing to do?

I'm hoping the MS acquisition allows for these Zenimax mega-studios to do more experimentation with new IPs and new gameplay mechanics.

As for the time spent on nextgen lipstick, I'm hoping the internal Microsoft team can spend a few weeks on each title getting them the low hanging fruit improvements if the studio's didn't have plans for proper next-gen updates before.

I'm hoping the MS acquisition allows for these Zenimax mega-studios to do more experimentation with new IPs and new gameplay mechanics.

As for the time spent on nextgen lipstick, I'm hoping the internal Microsoft team can spend a few weeks on each title getting them the low hanging fruit improvements if the studio's didn't have plans for proper next-gen updates before.
I think that any 1P game they have the source for, they should do a patch for.
Even if it's at a minimum just to bring it up to 4k60 and 1440/1080p60.
Given they say it's usually 4 lines of code change, lead by example and leave system boost as a backup for 3P.

There are other barriers that slow services with oodles of content and prevent them from becoming more popular. Many studies have been done with Netflix and decision paralysis. I.e. when you don't know exactly what you want to watch and you spend an inordinate amount of time trying to browse what's available and in many cases end up going to do something else instead. There is also the total value proposition, whereas these all-you-can-consume buffet services looks like great value but you subconsciously prejudice them because you know you can't consume all of the content, making you question that value. Most people are little bit nuts and subconsciously overthink, logic rarely prevails.

Sure and MS has the microsoft rewards that gives you points for playing and doing certain things in certain games. Its an easy way if you want to try something new you go and look at what is on offer and get points which can also help you pay for more game pass

Sure and MS has the microsoft rewards that gives you points for playing and doing certain things in certain games.
If you are heavily invested Microsoft ecosystem relative to Google's or Apple's. The vast majority of spending consumers are not. Hence why GamePass's ecosystem is so important to Microsoft, and why they just spent $7.5Bn, on acquiring Zenimax.Becauxe they want an ecosystem that is relevant to gamers.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think they should assign multiple studios to each franchise and alternate who acts as lead studio so that each dev gets a chance to create and develop new IPs.

I want to see what Coalition can do outside of Gears.

If you are heavily invested Microsoft ecosystem relative to Google's or Apple's. The vast majority of spending consumers are not. Hence why GamePass's ecosystem is so important to Microsoft, and why they just spent $7.5Bn, on acquiring Zenimax.Becauxe they want an ecosystem that is relevant to gamers.
i was responding to the issue you brought up with netflix. Netflix doesn't reward me for watching a show. MS rewards me for playing a game. I was just commenting on that single issue and a way MS is working to elevate it

Here's what I hope.

MS went to Bethesda and were like...
  • Hey, we're thinking about plopping down a large sum of money, what would you like to do that you cannot do now due to budget?
  • Bethesda tell them.
  • Microsoft are like that sounds good, how much would it take to do that.
  • Bethesda head developers look at each other and give MS an unrealisticly large number.
  • Phil said, "Do it!" we're buying you.
Pipe dream, right? :D

What I hope didn't happen. When MS asked them how much their projects are going to cost, Bethesda lowballed the number a lot to encourage MS to buy them. Then a year or two in as budgets start to escalate, MS start to wonder if they just bought another Lionhead. :p

Regards,
SB

Here's what I hope.

• Hey, we're thinking about plopping down a large sum of money, what would you like to do that you cannot do now due to budget?
  • Bethesda tell them.
  • Microsoft are like that sounds good, how much would it take to do that.
  • Bethesda head developers look at each other and give MS an unrealisticly large number.
  • Phil said, "Do it!" we're buying you.
Pipe dream, right? :D

What I hope didn't happen. When MS asked them how much their projects are going to cost, Bethesda lowballed the number a lot to encourage MS to buy them. Then a year or two in as budgets start to escalate, MS start to wonder if they just bought another Lionhead. :p

Regards,
SB

My understanding is with previous purchases and even their own studios they are allowing them to create more teams to work on projects. It will almost be like Pixars set up. Where there is a main director and then an assistant director or whatever they are called. They do a movie or two under a director and then get their own short to prove themsleves and if its good then they get a movie.

MS is going to expand very quickly and the rest of the industry will struggle to keep up

I think is very likely that the negotiations were undertaken exclusively with Zenimax Media. The only way that I can see that anybody in any of the individual development studios would have been aware, were if individuals had a significant equity stake in Zenimax. E.g. perhaps Todd Howard.

To be pedantic, Xbox Gold is $60 a year, GP for Console is $120 a year, GP for PC is $120 a year, and GP Ultimate is $180.
I don't seem to be able to purchase a yearly subscription, at least for the PC.
That said, can we really call it 120€/year? Microsoft can change the price whenever they want. GamePass PC was "48€/year" until last month, now it's "120€/year". "The 48€ / year" price is only applicable to those who started their GamePass PC subscription October 2019.

It's not like the Gold / Plus where we can just buy 20 years of the service right now, if we want.

Sure it is.

You buy 3 month codes and redeem them. You can likely stack them out 3 years like the others. Three months for $30, so 1 year for $120
https://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Game-Pass-PC-Membership/dp/B08KJW9BK7/

I say likely only because I have not verified it works exactly like Gold, or Xbox Game Pass, or Game Pass Ultimate or Office365 or their other subscription services.

I think is very likely that the negotiations were undertaken exclusively with Zenimax Media. The only way that I can see that anybody in any of the individual development studios would have been aware, were if individuals had a significant equity stake in Zenimax. E.g. perhaps Todd Howard.

Hence, pipe dream. :) Wishful thinking. Pie in the sky. etc.

Business doesn't operate that way, but wouldn't it be nice if it did and I never had to wake up from the dream?

Regards,
SB

Microsoft can change the price whenever they want. GamePass PC was "48€/year" until last month, now it's "120€/year".

Game Pass for PC was in Beta & was an introductory pricing. Once it came out of Beta it settled on its final retail pricing.

BTW, as for price increases, Microsoft has only increased the cost of a 1-year subscription of Live once since 2002:

dims

Granted that those prices are only in the US. There have been a few price hikes to the monthly rate(was $5.99 prior to November 2005, $7.99 in November 2005 & now $9.99 starting in November 2010). And yes, other territories have had rate increases over the past 5 or 6 years.

I think Microsoft has shown, at least in the US, that pricing has been pretty firm & that's even after they kept adding more value to their service(Cloud saves, Games with Gold, Deals with Gold, Free Play Days/Weekends, removing requirement for Netflix, etc).

And looks like Game Pass has done the same thing with adding xCloud & EA Play titles to Game Pass Ultimate while still keeping the same price.

I think your concern for price increases is not well-founded.

Tommy McClain

I think they could easily justify raising price to $140 from $120 a year next year.
The general messaging whether directly by them or publications is its price of two games.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't actually do it.
But if they did, I think it would still be considered a very good deal by majority of people by that measure.

Looks like Phil finally decided to answer the lingering question.
He didn't answer it. The easiest thing in the world, which I'm sure would a) please Xbox owners and b) increase interest/adoption of Microsoft platforms right before they launch two new ones, would have been for Phil Spencer to state categorically that future Zenimax studio games will release only on Windows and Xbox.

But he's still not committing to that - it may not even be his decision. He is the head of Xbox but when it comes to strategic decisions where tens/hundreds of millions of dollars are at stake - by deciding not to release on PlayStation and/or Switch and/or any other platform, that may be a decision that is required to go to the Board. Because they represent the investors whose money and investment this acquisition is. It's not a plaything, it's people's money here. :yep2: It may depend on Xbox's profitability and outlooks at the time these decisions need to be made.

Microsoft and Sony don't run their console businesses like fanboys. That's why they are still in business! :yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back