Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

People may report other people using the party chat recordings. Sony will not monitor chats. Sony however can use the sent in party chats recordings and punish people if they deem user has done something that wrong.
Although this is what Sony claims to be happening, the wording in the firmware update's release notes do seem to indicate that Sony can record our voice chat.
At the very least, those release notes were poorly written IMO.

PS5 teardown in depth(Japanese)
https://www.4gamer.net/games/990/G999027/20201016035/

Some intesting point
-Sony used latest CAE technology to design the airflow inside PS5
-Chimney effect is at the measurement error level
-SSD slot can accept <8mm tall heatsink
-2 exhaust holes are provided for SSD slot, take the heat away by negative pressure
-not recommended to use heatsink that are high enough to touch the metal cover

I thought it was maybe a new teardown video, it's not. It's a new article about the same base teardown video.

Some intesting point
-2 exhaust holes are provided for SSD slot, take the heat away by negative pressure
CAE is a very vague, catch-all term. To me this just says they modeled fluid flow, which I would expect.

What does chimney effect mean in this context? Airflow designs normally deliberately have positive or negative pressure depending on their goals.

Negative pressure for SSD cavity makes sense. Given the various heatsink form factors one might use, they can’t depend on a specific airflow pattern associated with positive pressure.

I think the last point tells us the lid has no real heat path associated with it.

-The fan inside is make by glass fiber polybutylene terephthalate(I don't what it is), very tough
-the part of heat sink which direct contact liquid metal is silver-plating
-3 temperature sensors inside PS5, can update the fan control parameters via software now

Last edited:
I quite like the new UI! Elegant, fast, tons of new options for jumping in the specific game spots [powered by fast SSD], and services that were previously full screen affairs are now small popups.

Some of the more intriguing things are the "Switcher" option in the Command Center and the fact that the OS did not prompt that Sackboy game will be closed when jumping to PlayStation Allstars MP lobby.

IMO, Switcher will showcase listing of activity shortcuts for all installed games, and Sackboy game WAS closed when moving to another game, but the game made quicksave&new activity shorcut before shutdown so player can jump back into the same spot whenever.

I think on Series X the current game is also closed; both systems probably create some sort of save dump of the current game state to the SSD, close the game out, then the new game is launched and populates the RAM. If the games didn't close out at least some of that data would still be RAM taking away resources for the game you're currently playing, which probably needs all of that 13.5 GB - 14 GB of usable RAM.

Would be interesting to know the size the save state dumps. And like everyone else is saying, having the quick reminders for what you were last doing is very cool.

-The fan inside is make by glass fiber polybutylene terephthalate(I don't what it is), very tough
-3 temperature sensors inside PS5, can update the fan control parameters via software now

Silver in there wow ;) Would be chocked if ps4 had any less then three sensors? Even the 2001 xbox had atleast three.

CAE is a very vague, catch-all term. To me this just says they modeled fluid flow, which I would expect.

The following points are based on my reading of machine-translated text:

My translation seemed to indicate his response was that they might use CAE for some optimization, but that they generally relied on physical experiments for the overall design. Smoke flow through a transparent model was cited.

What does chimney effect mean in this context? Airflow designs normally deliberately have positive or negative pressure depending on their goals.

The author asked a question similar to what was brought up earlier about warm air rising and whether the console would be more efficiently cooled vertically versus horizontally.
His response is that this is so small as to be a measurement error in a fan-based system.

Apart from these points, the article asked why the console is as tall as it is, and it was apparently a prior requirement by the design department handed down to the case designers.
I'm not clear, but I think the author continues on to note that this may have relevance to possible manufacturing limits, where reducing height would mean increasing the width of the large mainboard enough to make mounting more difficult.

I think the last point tells us the lid has no real heat path associated with it.
The part I saw translated indicates he's concerned about the plastic chassis and screw holes the metal plate is mounted to. A tall heatsink could interfere with re-mounting the lid and damaging the plastic parts.
The console appears to provision for heatsinks up to 8mm in height.

Could this be a description of the silver color rather than actual silver? Usually heatsinks use nickel plating to prevent reactions with gallium, so I'm curious if silver would be used.

I'm sorry, but there are multiple errors, and they are likely due to translation
The heatsink in side A is copper plated with unspecified material "likely Nickel plating"
The silver plating thing was in reference to thermal paste on the side B that covers GDDR6 memory chips and the SSD controller

Some intesting point
Who said that you need to put the metal cover back?

My translation seemed to indicate his response was that they might use CAE for some optimization, but that they generally relied on physical experiments for the overall design. Smoke flow through a transparent model was cited.

The author asked a question similar to what was brought up earlier about warm air rising and whether the console would be more efficiently cooled vertically versus horizontally.
His response is that this is so small as to be a measurement error in a fan-based system.

Apart from these points, the article asked why the console is as tall as it is, and it was apparently a prior requirement by the design department handed down to the case designers.
I'm not clear, but I think the author continues on to note that this may have relevance to possible manufacturing limits, where reducing height would mean increasing the width of the large mainboard enough to make mounting more difficult.

The part I saw translated indicates he's concerned about the plastic chassis and screw holes the metal plate is mounted to. A tall heatsink could interfere with re-mounting the lid and damaging the plastic parts.
The console appears to provision for heatsinks up to 8mm in height.

Could this be a description of the silver color rather than actual silver? Usually heatsinks use nickel plating to prevent reactions with gallium, so I'm curious if silver would be used.
Thanks, your interpretations make sense (especially the orientation. Any PC with high overflow will overwhelm orientation concerns). Agree with concerns about metal reactivity. Nickel plating is important.

I thought it was maybe a new teardown video, it's not. It's a new article about the same base teardown video.
The first half is about the teardown video, the second half is an interview with Yasuhiro Otori who appeared in the teardown video.

Your translation is correct. CAE is used for optimization in some parts but not used for the design of the whole. They relied on physical experiments, including flowing dry ice smoke in a transparent case model, or checking temperature of each part.

There are many interesting details, but what I found interesting are:

PS5 has 1.05x volume of Xbox Series X and PS5 DE has 0.93x volume of Xbox Series X. The no.1 reason why they adopted liquid metal is cost. The UHD BD drive is completely sealed with double insulators to reduce noise and control vibration. Due to the design of the internal structure, air emitted by the fan forms a Clothoid curve. There are 3 thermal sensors on the main board in addition to the one in the APU. The fan is controlled with the temperature in the APU and the highest temperature in the 3 sensors on the main board as its parameters. Parameters of fan control can be updated by a system update. Otori specifically says many games will be released in future and they can collect APU behavior data of each game, and they have a plan to optimize fan control based on those data. According to Otori the thermal design of PS5 has a good margin including fan RPM, so the writer speculates it means there might be a future game that needs to be cooled down a lot with increased fan RPM at the cost of increased noise.

Back