Game development presentations - a useful reference

Getting Started with Mesh Shaders in Diligent Engine
September 23, 2020
Mesh shaders are the new geometry processing pipeline introduced in the most recent generation of GPUs that replaces the old approach. This article gives an introduction to mesh shaders and shows how they can be used to create a simple view frustum culling and object LOD selection system on the GPU using the Diligent Engine API.
https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/5280217/Getting-Started-with-Mesh-Shaders-in-Diligent-Engi

Have we gotten anything on what mesh shaders bring performance wise over the existing geometry pipeline?
There were some early results on coding video blog of Niagara.

Ability to have fine grained culling and creation/instacing of objects should be quite nice.
Also getting completely rid of DX11 like tessellation should be nice. (Bypassing amplification limits etc.)

Good read. Even "simple" raytracing use cases like shadows require a lot of thoughtful tuning to hit the right balance of IQ and performance.

This bit was interesting. It seems most raytracing implementations are using static low poly versions of scene geometry which is at odds with the much higher (and dynamic) poly counts enabled by mesh shaders and DX12.

Mismatched geometry is the biggest concern, since modern vertex shading pipeline seems to evolve in orthogonal way to raytracing with advent of mesh shaders.

I despise "alpha transparency" geometry (leaves, grass) so it amuses me how using real geometry might be a performance gain.

There was nothing about shadow casting particle effects (e.g. smoke).

Building acceleration structures looks like a major gotcha. I suppose the consoles are well equipped there...

They are not the only one to do this and CDProjekt is with Naughty Dog and Rockstar one of the most heavy crunch studio.

Well, that is not surprising given the insane scope they chose for their game. Yet, my comment comes from my disapointment at how slowly the industry feels to be embracing procedural and machine synthesized animation. Emphasis on the word "feels". Research on this area is probably hard and discouraging (full of dead-ends and not-good enoughs) so the progress is not as visible from my armchair as my spoiled ass would like.

Well, that is not surprising given the insane scope they chose for their game. Yet, my comment comes from my disapointment at how slowly the industry feels to be embracing procedural and machine synthesized animation. Emphasis on the word "feels". Research on this area is probably hard and discouraging (full of dead-ends and not-good enoughs) so the progress is not as visible from my armchair as my spoiled ass would like.

In Horizon Wero dawn, some of the facial animation of minor character in side quest is procedural, Bioware use too procedural animation.

They use procedural placement in HZD for the scenery.

Same for building in Spiderman and tons of other game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back