Microsoft Xbox Series X|S Storage Cards

yup. But if they can touch it and hold it as in you just ripped it out of the console right after it's off etc. It's technically running cool. You wouldn't pull that trick on a PC. Good bye fingers.

These drives are meant to operate as high as 70 where throttling begins somewhere between 70-100.
Most people would find 50C scalding at first touch. At the very least very hot.
So I think with a heat gun we're probably going to find the expansion sub 60. Unless you got dishwasher hands, then, well lol, I guess you can handle holding 60 and just consider it hot.

Yeah, some of the comments from USB-C 3.2 gen2 external stick enclosures for NVME drives mention the feeling of "burning their fingers" when touching the enclosure. And those enclosures can't even exceed 1 GB/s.

So, if this is running 2.4 GB/s and it's just on the high side of warm, that's pretty decent.

Regards,
SB

Yep, seems the console runs hot too though.

yup. I think that part is okay in my mind for now, it seems the ideal case that the exhaust and the console itself gets warm. That's a sign that the heat is being peeled away from the silicon effectively. The heat should be expelling as much as possible. As long as it's actual internals are operating well within the desired conditions and the fan is quiet, that is fine.

It's impossible for the console to run both cool, quiet and run high powered. The power needs to go somewhere, so something must be getting hot. I rather it be the surrounding air or the console itself as opposed to the components. But it leaves some considerations about not leaving the console in a blocked/poorly ventilated space.

Given the power profile of both, it just makes sense to give them air to breathe.

And apparently it does get hot according to some Xbox influencers(even while in standby mode).
One of the Giant Bomb team reported this live on a podcast, this is a legit gaming website and not 'influencers'. But internal components do get toasty, even when not actively being stressed in a closed environment - like a console case - they will absorb heat themselves. The vast majority of components are designed to work at temperatures uncomfortable to hold.

I think he probably expected to to act like an old PlayStation memory card or USB drive.

I think he probably expected to to act like an old PlayStation memory card or USB drive.
lol yea. It's non-menacing and deceiving and a cute form factor. It's just asking to be pulled out by 3 fingers only to got shocked by the temperature levels.

Are peoole really expecting post release the console to be hot when off/in standby?
If it's hot in standby at the moment it's because it's active, therefore possibly updating or pre launch bug in OS.

That son-of-a-bitch did it, he really did it....

20200924_163333-e1602705255905.jpg

https://venturebeat.com/2020/10/15/xbox-series-x-seagate-expansion-card-teardown/

Anybody know anything about the IC...

SK hynix H25BFT8G5M3R

Tommy McClain

Only info I have is coming from that article. Also, wow, a single NAND with all the storage cells on it.

The memory itself is an SK Hynix 1TB chip. I’m not an expert on NAND, but I believe this is SK Hynix’s new 4D NAND, which stacks its memory cells in 128 layers. This is how Seagate was able to get 1TB of storage space onto a single chip inside such a tiny form factor.

https://venturebeat.com/2020/10/15/xbox-series-x-seagate-expansion-card-teardown/

SK hynix H25BFT8G5M3R

Tommy McClain
That is a cluster of SK Hynix NAND Flash memory alongside a Phison PCIe 4.0 controller.

The memory itself is an SK Hynix 1TB chip. I’m not an expert on NAND, but I believe this is SK Hynix’s new 4D NAND, which stacks its memory cells in 128 layers. This is how Seagate was able to get 1TB of storage space onto a single chip inside such a tiny form factor.

Standard CFexpress can transfer data at up to 4GB per second, but it’s possible that Microsoft’s custom implementation is faster. But 4GB per second would give enough room for the Phison E19T controller, which maxes out at about 3.75GB per second for read/write speeds.[/quote]

SK hynix H25BFT8G5M3R

Tommy McClain

Interesting that whilst they share the price of a cheap 1TB Nvme they don't share the price of the 512mb compact flash express card that they compare with.

That's £600 or there about, just to put the Xbox card into perspective, and the SanDisk is only rated to 1,700mb/s so possibly under spec.

Comparatively the Xbox card is a great price, but an equally insane technology to back given the cost. If it is CFExpress I think it's hot swappable and possibly the best user experience but let's hope it takes off and prices comes down quickly.

If it is CFExpress I think it's hot swappable and possibly the best user experience but let's hope it takes off and prices comes down quickly

It's not really CF Express card. It's a custom SSD using a CF express connector. The connector isn't where the expense comes from. For MS's part, they've gone with a cheap as possible NAND and controller. The cooling's cheap/clever as well.

Back