Cherno Reactions Reactions *spawn* [2020]

But yes, his yesterday tweet was disheartening. F-ing fanboys...
Yesterday? Then it wasn't about The Cherno's video that we're discussing in this thread. That video was released 9 hours ago.

But to be honest, I just glossed over Jon's twitter account and it seems to me that reducing his social media presence would be beneficial to him..

Yesterday? Then it wasn't about The Cherno's video that we're discussing in this thread. That video was released 9 hours ago.

But to be honest, I just glossed over Jon's twitter account and it seems to me that reducing his social media presence would be beneficial to him..

Yeah, it was about something else related to consoles. In the past there have been multiple tweets at him that have been reported and taken down by multiple users.

mobile game
Dirt 5 looks better, and prolly 100x more fun to play, I've played a few games on the phone, and they usually seem to be limited to 20second long stages and then, hey heres an ad for you

Then it wasn't about The Cherno's video that we're discussing in this thread.

I was simply cross-referencing the toxic behavior that Cherno, Digital Foundry, and NX Gamer opinion/analysis videos tends to bring out in certain folks, especially fanboys. No longer are fanboys simply attacking the content creators incredible and time-consuming work, but also finding ways of attacking them personally, and family members as well. While fanboy/tribalism isn't nothing new, but, today’s highly polarized cultural, social, and political climate has made things worst. No longer are these twats just simply internet pest, but now potential mental and physical threats to content creators. And the passive-aggressive ones are just as bad… if not more, the main catalyst behind some of this toxic behavior.

In the end, if you don’t like an opinion or analysis piece, then make a constructive and worthwhile statement, or simply move on. Nothing in gaming is worth arguing about, or attacking someone over.

No longer are fanboys simply attacking the content creators incredible and time-consuming work, but also finding ways of attacking them personally, and family members as well. While fanboy/tribalism isn't nothing new, but, today’s highly polarized cultural, social, and political climate has made things worst. No longer are these twats just simply internet pest, but now potential mental and physical threats to content creators. And the passive-aggressive ones are just as bad… if not more, the main catalyst behind some of this toxic behavior.

100% agreed. This is just horrible.

This thread has became a bit of a shitshow. I've not seen the video but have seen some of his other analysis videos and found them interesting. But if you don't like, want or value somebody's opinion, why the flip are your spending time watching their analysis? :???:

Some very harsh words towards df video about halo. About dirt5, ign video looks much worse than other videos and game is quite good looking, not nextgen for sure but that just another crossgen. Gt7 is apparently not crossgen and still looks like it.

It was one of, if not the worst ‘analysis’ videos DF have ever released. It was damaging to their brand and deserving of criticism.

At best it was rushed, amateurish and incomplete and came across like desperate damage control. I look forward to Cherno giving it a thorough going over regarding ‘all’ of its issues.

it’s interesting to see that playing the ‘man’ and not the ‘ball’ is a thing here!

We are the generation of hyperboles aren't we. Everything is the " ____ ever" etc.

I saw Tom Dirt5 video. Nothing wrong with it

We are the generation of hyperboles aren't we. Everything is the " ____ ever" etc.

I saw Tom Dirt5 video. Nothing wrong with it

If you’re referring to my comments, they relate to the Halo video.

Tom’s Dirt video is fine.

If you’re referring to my comments, they relate to the Halo video.

Tom’s Dirt video is fine.
we discuss that here as well. DF doesn't work for anyone, and if anything Alex is a PC enthusiast than a console one. His aim for that video was to educate, not to provide damage control. On him being wrong on things, sure, anything can be wrong when you're looking at a incomplete preview build. The reality of that engine is quite similar to what we see here. Draw distance is a mere 2m in front. Shadows weren't being casted until way too late etc.

It's clear there are development issues across the board for xbox here. Either representative of poor tooling or the kits just arriving much too late or both.

Reactions: Jay
@iroboto what video was you referring to as being PC which looks a lot better?

Edit: just to be clear this wasn't about Cherno, I bailed out of that conversation a looooong time ago.

Since here, from what I saw most agree with his video, most think title was some level of click bait.
Now I'll be bailing again.....

Last edited:
@iroboto what video was you referring to as being PC which looks a lot better?
Certainly a lot cleaner, much less, last second pop in.

night level section at the end is probably the only 'good looking' part of the game.

Reactions: Jay
we discuss that here as well. DF doesn't work for anyone, and if anything Alex is a PC enthusiast than a console one. His aim for that video was to educate, not to provide damage control. On him being wrong on things, sure, anything can be wrong when you're looking at a incomplete preview build. The reality of that engine is quite similar to what we see here. Draw distance is a mere 2m in front. Shadows weren't being casted until way too late etc.

It's clear there are development issues across the board for xbox here. Either representative of poor tooling or the kits just arriving much too late or both.
What's the common factor of Dirt 5 and Halo Infinite? Easy. They are both developed first on XB1 then scaled to the others boxes. Next gen games on Xbox will look much better once the XB1 platform is ditched.

From 1.3tf + 5GB ram to 4tf + 7.5GB ram is a sizeable gap. :rolleyes:

What's the common factor of Dirt 5 and Halo Infinite? Easy. They are both developed first on XB1 then scaled to the others boxes. Next gen games on Xbox will look much better once the XB1 platform is ditched.

From 1.3tf + 5GB ram to 4tf + 7.5GB ram is a sizeable gap. :rolleyes:
Well that's certainly 1 perspective. But that doesn't apply to SM:MM for instance then or Horizon Forbidden Wests. Which are both cross gen as well, but very much when announced as PS5 was coveted here as only possible when ditching last gen.

Cyberpunk2077 is cross gen. It's way in front of every game there is including everything being shown by Sony so far.

The argument is too inconsistent for me to believe right now.

Well that's certainly 1 perspective. But that doesn't apply to SM:MM for instance then or Horizon Forbidden Wests. Which are both cross gen as well, but very much when announced as PS5 was coveted here as only possible when ditching last gen.

Cyberpunk2077 is cross gen. It's way in front of every game there is including everything being shown by Sony so far.

The argument is too inconsistent for me to believe right now.
I do think there is something to be said about targeting next gen and pulling it in to work for current gen, compared to patching a current gen title as that was the target.

But i don't think that's the problem in this case. Dirt PC version shows what the engine is capable of and texture quality etc. (still not watched it yet)
I'm of the opinion it's probably the GDK that has held devs up.

(I'm not including halo in this, that's a whole different thing)

Edit: just to be clear this wasn't about Cherno, I bailed out of that conversation a looooong time ago.

Since here, from what I saw most agree with his video, most think title was some level of click bait.
Now I'll be bailing again.....
Yea, I'm totally happy with his content. I like it a lot. It's a rough take, but it's a different perspective offered. I only felt his title was disrespectful to Codemasters.

I shouldn't be judged as a Cherno hater because I feel it as being rude to call a title a mobile game that was likely built and sent out months ago, and they still have significant time to release. He could have gone without it and no one here would have said a single thing.

All the judging on.. well everything... none of it is based on release gold master copies. So that means there's still a lot of time for things to move. I can't imagine Halo Infinite or Dirt5 getting worse, that's just so slim of a probability to take. So the only way it goes from here on out is up, in contrast to this gen we had a problem of games way over promising, and dramatically pulling back on delivery upon launch - the hype might be muted today but the disappointment is already over.

We also have to realize that not every moment of every game can look like a National Geographic TV shot. That became the expectation very recently.

But if a game aims for dynamic times of day, well, most periods of the day look simply bland. Look at Driveclub. It could look both phenomenal and "meh" in the same race.

Does anyone know what Cherno might be talking about when he says he “disagreed with about half of” DF’s Halo Infinite video? It comes up at the end of his Dirt 5 IGN video analysis (13:41).

“I don’t know what this continually bad looking footage—first Halo [Infinite], then this [Dirt 5]—is going on about. I know DF did a video on Halo, saying that, like, well, it’s in shadow, so it doesn’t look good half the time. I watched that video, I disagreed with about half of it because [...] some of the stuff they explained doesn’t technically make any sense and it’s not really correct in some places.”

I don’t mean this to be contentious, as I’m a huge DF fan, I’m just trying to understand exactly what he could be taking issue with. @Dictator, have you received feedback or learned anything new since posting the video? Maybe you can contact Cherno directly to get his views?

All of this is in the context of how bad Cherno thinks Dirt 5 and Halo Infinite look as “next-gen” games. Admittedly, both are cross-gen, and the Halo footage was already months old at the time it was first publicly shown. The Dirt 5 footage was of “4K/60 gameplay” (per IGN’s description of video), but they don’t specify if it’s framerate or quality mode. The road LOD at 8:15 was particularly jarring. It was like watching the fence shadows draw in on the Nordschleife in Gran Turismo Sport’s “4k” mode. They just materialize five meters out. There’s still time to optimize for 12TF, 16GB, and an SSD, but it’s a bad look for Dirt 5.

Edit: I posted this in the DF thread by mistake, so I’m late to this discussion, but I’d still like Alex’s take.

Last edited:
Back