Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I love the activities cards for games, particularly where the game summarise what you have done and what is left to do and indicate how long there is left in a particular segment. I really hope story/mission/chapter based games use this.

The UX looks nice and clear and important, snappy.

I do wonder what the take up from developers will be, it seems quite a bit of work is required to take advantage of all those features and without Sony enforcing a certain standard, I’m not sure how many devs will spend their time authoring all that. We’ll see!

I’m a little bummed that the dynamic background (or just the background) gets hidden most of the time with the new UI. It was one of my favorite thing on PlayStation consoles.

If Sony wanted to be slick, they'd tie it into their Save System API so any title with multiple saves would have easier support of it out the gate. Granted, the devs would still to impl the callbacks, but that would be minimal work.

If Sony wanted to be slick, they'd tie it into their Save System API so any title with multiple saves would have easier support of it out the gate. Granted, the devs would still to impl the callbacks, but that would be minimal work.
Maybe this is exactly what they are doing for the activities labeled 'level'. We can see several activities, one 'adventure' (probably the main save) and others 'level' which should be simply regular saves?

Love that cold boot
hcqIZzW.gif

Does the PiP support browser videos or youtube app or youtube video?
TBC but I would very much expect that it's similar to Apple's iOS/macOS video API where any video from any app channeled into that single API can be over-layed by the OS. To require specific app/game support guarantees it will never get used.

Hope I'm wrong but maybe that could be misleading to some who's been touting that as a PS5 thing.
Is the PS4 version gonna do that too? Is that a small closed segment in that warehouse rather than a "full stage"?
AFAIK the warehouse is a full stage and there is a loading screen on PS4 to exit the warehouse (without the "jumping out from window" stuff)

Hope I'm wrong but maybe that could be misleading to some who's been touting that as a PS5 thing.
Is the PS4 version gonna do that too? Is that a small closed segment in that warehouse rather than a "full stage"?

ps4 spiderman had load time in similar case. Loadtime probably carries over to miles morales making ps5 version smoother.

Has Sony talked about the codecs used?
They said it can share up to 4K so I suppose it will use hevc but haven’t seen any confirmation.
Also RDNA 2 has av1 hw decode hopefully it made the cut to the ps5 too

Has Sony talked about the codecs used?
They said it can share up to 4K so I suppose it will use hevc but haven’t seen any confirmation.
Also RDNA 2 has av1 hw decode hopefully it made the cut to the ps5 too
the PS5 supposedly supports 8k content. I wonder what kind of content that is. Maybe 8k photos and movies?

The PS4's customization wasn't ACEs, it was having 8 ACEs with 8 queues each, for a total of 64 queues being actively managed by hardware. Cerny cited this being adopted in AMD's Hawaii as an example of AMD adopting Sony's customizations when it suited them.
No GPU since has had that many ACEs. Fiji's original slides had 8 ACEs, but then once HWS was announced it revealed that their diagrams had deviated from reality. The introduction of HWS meant that roughly half of the front end resources were shifted towards virtualizing the management of the queues done by 4 ACEs. Polaris and later kept the revised HWS and 4 ACE combination. The diagrams showed 2 HWS, although other disclosures indicate that it's considered a dual-threaded single hardware block.

The Xbox One received some criticism for only having 2 ACEs, although if we go by the Navi diagram Navi 10 would have the same ACE and queue capacity. However, AMD's own whitepaper says Navi 10 has 4 ACEs, so it's possible that the diagram is based on a misinterpretation of the front end structures enumerated in the GPU drivers. If the Sienna Cichlid diagram is accurate, the queue count per ACE is going to be halved, although I'd wait to see if that is true based on how the interpretation for Navi 10 has been contradicted.

Sony's customization was seemingly nice to have, but with no clear impact.

I remember reading that AMD chose to virtualize the queues instead of adding more hardware.

Edit:

https://www.amd.com/system/files/documents/polaris-whitepaper.pdf

In “Hawaii,” and other GPUs based on the Graphics Core Next ISA, the hardware was designed to support a fixed number of compute queues (up to 8 per ACE). Starting with 3rd and 4th-gen GCN, however, the HWS makes it possible to virtualize these compute queues. This means that any number of queues can be supported, and the HWS will assign these queues to the available ACEs as slots became available.

Back