Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

128W? I was thinking about buying one to heat my house this winter, but if true I must buy at least two...
If usable yields are so good, and there was so much thermal and architecture headroom to scaleup frequency, why didn't they go up to 11... ehm... I mean 15TF?
Only for BC titles is it running so low. That's because it's leveraging the older GCN instruction set. Leveraging a newer XSX enchanted title, you're likely looking at 190W+

Man I'm really glad these power metrics have come to light. Been trying to figure out some for Series X (and PS5), these fall pretty close to what I pegged Series X at (200 watts).

Tho the PSU is a bit more than I thought it'd be; One X's was, IIRC, 75 watts headroom over the peak power draw, so I for whatever reason thought that'd stay the same for Series X. Such would've probably been cutting it too close though xD.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think CP2077 will be a quick-and-dirty initial patch for next-gen consoles (higher res, slightly faster loading) while they take more time to truly refine the next-gen experiences in future big-bang patch.
This is all I'm expecting and frankly, this is enough for me. I don't need RT graphics in CP2077, the convenient console experience, a minimum of 1440p (if not 4K) and 60fps will do it for me. I don't feel like this is a big ask! :nope:

I love this quote there.

From what I've tested so far, the company has good reason to be confident about this quiet, efficient hardware. Unless I'm missing something huge—even Red Rings needed longer than 22 days to manifest—my hardware experience has so far been quite smooth. As a computing device, Xbox Series X may go down in history as one of the most remarkable machines ever made—as compared to other products in its era, power level, and price.

Hmmm I'm sure MS said it was 4K dashboard.
That would be a strange decision if its not 4K by release.
It feels like Microsoft are deploying constant updates to the Series X firmware/OS in the wild. A few days ago Alanah Pearce was demoing the speed of the Series X interface stuff like crashing out and it was confusing her because it had been fine the day before.

This is PRE-RELEASE firmware. :yep2: It's not launching for almost 4 weeks, which is an eternity in software development time.

Hmmm I'm sure MS said it was 4K dashboard.
That would be a strange decision if its not 4K by release.

Yeah, there have been a few items in the past months of Insider Dashboard updates that were a bit odd and Microsoft Employee(s) (Reddit or Twitter I believe) said items were being tweaked for scaling. One in particular was in the custom user Folders and how the games display on the Home dashboard screens.

I think similar was also mentioned in the past week's posts about the Game and Store screens (Tiles?). I'm pretty sure it was more than just the Xbox App for Mobile and PC.

This is PRE-RELEASE firmware. :yep2: It's not launching for almost 4 weeks, which is an eternity in software development time.
You would expect the design to be done i.e. 4k, everything else being in flux.

Anyway, like I said we'll see what It's like after the first firmware update it does during set up.

All previews seem to be good, with the obvious common thread of no games that look any better basically.

It will probably take DF to really highlight gears better, even though that was a very late edition to the whitelist.
I'll also be interested to see what they have to say about gears tactics, if it's using vrs 2, or better overall image quality etc

It feels like Microsoft are deploying constant updates to the Series X firmware/OS in the wild.

Yeah, even the slower Alpha Ring has been getting some nearly every day recently. The Alpha-SkipAhead is even more often than Alpha.
Alpha Ring = October 14, 12, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 2; September 30, 28, 25, 23, 18, 16, 14, 10, 8, 4, 2.

Use Alpha Release Notes or Alpha Skip Ahead Release Notes -- https://news.xbox.com/en-us/?s=alpha+release+notes&search-category=news-stories

Hmm...I don't know if I see this as too big an issue. IIRC, they did the same thing on One X because devs wanted more RAM resources for their games. If it's a question of native 4K UI eating into RAM resources from games, or native 1080p that might be upscaled to something equivalent to 4K through DirectML upscaling tech (there's already been quotes in the past from devs like Ninja Theory who have been getting really good results with that on some of their work...which hopefully we'll see soon and not just another Iceland blog vid (I do like Iceland from a nature/aesthetic POV tho xD)...

...I'd honestly rather take the latter. If DLSS 2.0 is anything to go by, we're reaching a point where upscaled results can look just as good if not even better than native. Main roadblock there tho is still games need to be programmed against it specifically, so support will still be niche. I can see it possible MS have implemented such a feature for the UI but maybe it hasn't been patched in for these early units yet, would be a guess.

Have to admit this is one of the better previews that isn't just a cut and paste.
The others have been with the nature of the embargoes and simular views of the XSX.

Engaget

The loading is still not fast enough.

Dirt5 takes 10 seconds for cold boot and Yakuza like a dragon is even longer. Dirt 5 takes over 15 seconds to load a level.

Back