Cherno Reactions Reactions *spawn* [2020]

No he was a game dev for real. He worked on mobile games at EA and after at DICE but stop to create his own game engine. He has two channels, one with tips, programming and about his game engine and one with impressions he created a few months ago.
That's all fine & dandy (& there are literally hundreds of thousands of guys/girls like him in the world) but why would I care about his particular opinion which seems to show a clear lack of understating of some fundamental graphics concepts..Tried to watch two of his videos a few months ago (Flight Simulator & another one IIRC) & couldn't make it past 3 minutes before experience sever ear bleeding.

No he was a game dev for real. He worked on mobile games at EA and after at DICE but stop to create his own game engine. He has two channels, one with tips, programming and about his game engine and one with impressions he created a few months ago.

He was a rendering dev too. I don’t get why anyone is upset about this. People can have opinions.

He was a rendering dev too. I don’t get why anyone is upset about this. People can have opinions.
Not that it really matters in the grand scheme of things but...is there any "receipts" for his actual "rendering dev" work as a Software Engineer at EA Melbourne from 2015/2019 ?

Not that it really matters in the grand scheme of things but...is there any "receipts" for his actual "rendering dev" work as a Software Engineer at EA Melbourne from 2015/2019 ?

I don’t know. I’m pretty sure in one of his vids he talked about shifting from graphics to a hybrid of graphics and art, between the rendering team and the creative team.

Some very harsh words towards df video about halo. About dirt5, ign video looks much worse than other videos and game is quite good looking, not nextgen for sure but that just another crossgen. Gt7 is apparently not crossgen and still looks like it.

Last edited:
I don’t know. I’m pretty sure in one of his vids he talked about shifting from graphics to a hybrid of graphics and art, between the rendering team and the creative team.
Based on some Google/Bing-fu action..apparently nobody knows..so yeah.. :rolleyes: BTW I'm actually the next Carmack. but the source is my ass & that always passes the smell test so..

Some very harsh words to df video about halo. About dir5, ign video looks much worse than other videos and games is quite good looking, not nextgen for sure but that just another crossgen. Gt7 is apparently not crossgen and still looks like it.

GT7 will problably have at least nearly one year of dev between the presentation and the release of the game or more if they are late because of COVID.

GT7 will problably have at least nearly one year of dev between the presentation and the release of the game or more if they are late because of COVID.
I think they just use gt sport base, up resolution to 4k, give some rt and singleplayer campaign + more cars/tracks and hope for quick premiere.

I think they just use gt sport base, up resolution to 4k, give some rt and singleplayer campaign + more cars/tracks and hope for quick premiere.

If it was the case it would be at launch. ;) I take the bet it will release after Horizon 2 Forbidden West. And it will be the last game to release out of God War.

Don't you know Polyphony development pace ?;)

You will see, they reduce by two the creation of the cars and now they are outsourcing it partially in India. And they don't use CAD from constructor to model the car but their own data scanner. ;)

It was just an early look to GT 7. I would not be surprised if it was the last game to launch of all the game announcement of Sony conference out of Pragmata and Project Athia.

I wonder if people would be trying to question his game dev credentials if he had done a reaction video to the latest Prince of Persia Sands of Time trailer (which apparently is okay to dislike, unlike Dirt5 on the SeriesX).

And he is an ex game dev.
His last contribution to the game engine he's creating was yesterday. That's as current game dev as he could be IMO.

what I am most disappointed by, is that he lets himself be used as fodder for console wars. And he should know better than that.
Anything will be considered fodder if one side is overly sensible and feels threatened by reaction videos and/or joke titles.

Your reaction is something he predicted, as he mentions time and again he's expecting a lot of hate from this video. That is exactly what he got.
He does know better than that. He just doesn't care about console wars, much less on xbox fans getting their feelings hurt.

Furthermore, in every reaction video from the past 2 or 3 weeks he's been asking for people to advise him on SeriesX gameplay videos for him to "react" on. He says he knows he's sounding biased and he's trying to fix that perception, but he's genuinely struggling to find SeriesX showcases that look next-gen.

Perhaps someone here can point him in the right direction.

I'm not judging Cherno on it, youtube is his business now, but seemed to come off as unnecessary baiting and ripping on fellow developers.
His reaction videos are being posted on a side channel he created, that has less than 14K subscriptions. His original channel that is mostly about programming tutorials focused on video game development, that he does while developing his own game engine, has 330K subscribers.
Don't mistake a honest take on a gameplay video that he purposely put on a small channel to get less viewership than his main series, with him trying to make money off other developers' misery.

It seems like he entirely ignores the restrictions they're dealing with to hit 120 fps. You should not have the same expectations for 30fps titles with those at 120fps. That makes any reactions as less than worthless.

I wonder if people would be trying to question his game dev credentials if he had done a reaction video to the latest Prince of Persia Sands of Time trailer (which apparently is okay to dislike, unlike Dirt5 on the SeriesX).

His last contribution to the game engine he's creating was yesterday. That's as current game dev as he could be IMO.

Anything will be considered fodder if one side is overly sensible and feels threatened by reaction videos and/or joke titles.

Your reaction is something he predicted, as he mentions time and again he's expecting a lot of hate from this video. That is exactly what he got.
He does know better than that. He just doesn't care about console wars, much less on xbox fans getting their feelings hurt.

Furthermore, in every reaction video from the past 2 or 3 weeks he's been asking for people to advise him on SeriesX gameplay videos for him to "react" on. He says he knows he's sounding biased and he's trying to fix that perception, but he's genuinely struggling to find SeriesX showcases that look next-gen.

His reaction videos are being posted on a side channel he created, that has less than 14K subscriptions. His original channel that is mostly about programming tutorials focused on video game development, that he does while developing his own game engine, has 330K subscribers.
Don't mistake a honest take on a gameplay video that he purposely put on a small channel to get less viewership than his main series, with him trying to make money off other developers' misery.

I don't discredit his devs credential but I think the title was click baity and knowing he was working for EA, he knows how stuff work and in the video he try to pay attention to what he said.

And he's not wrong. Just because he's telling the truth, doesn't mean he isn't being leveraged. I was totally laughing throughout the video. He's nailed so much and I fully agree with everything he said. Even more so by the end of his video... which lead me to my next comment... not only does he fully understand how challenging it is and what type of issues could arise during development and everything that comes with it; he still decides to put 'is this a mobile game?' in the title.

It's a pretty hard cut to the people that worked on it, which, he even says during his video that he looks for the positives because he knows people work on it.
Most of the time studios would be willing to just only put out footage of the best possible things they want to share. And they just let a great deal of many youtubers access unfinished content and post it on their own free will. They very likely could have had another meme on their hands. That's perhaps on MS. I don't know.

It seems like he entirely ignores the restrictions they're dealing with to hit 120 fps. You should not have the same expectations for 30fps titles with those at 120fps. That makes any reactions as less than worthless.
What mode was that clip from?
I don't remember it saying 120 in title of it.

What mode was that clip from?
I don't remember it saying 120 in title of it.

He links to the original video in the description.

Approximately four minutes of 4K/60fps gameplay from Dirt 5 running on Xbox Series X.

EDIT: And according to Eurogamer, there's no 4K120 mode. By selecting 120Hz mode, the rendering resolution drops to 1440p and other IQ features are toned down:

As things stand, the 120Hz mode inevitably pulls back settings to free up GPU headroom for the extra temporal resolution. Doubling the frame-rate from 60 is no small feat, demanding one frame every 8.3ms, rather than 16.7ms. All the core physics and game logic translate intact from the regular options, and so it's on the GPU-side stressors we see changes. Spectator counts are dropped further, as is shadow quality. However, the biggest change is that it renders at a dynamic 2560x1440.

You will see, they reduce by two the creation of the cars and now they are outsourcing it partially in India. And they don't use CAD from constructor to model the car but their own data scanner. ;)

It was just an early look to GT 7. I would not be surprised if it was the last game to launch of all the game announcement of Sony conference out of Pragmata and Project Athia.
And my guess is that game will look very close to what we saw in trailer (without I hope this light and shadows popup) and be released in q1 2021

It's an opinion piece-video let's move on. I mean we just had John over at DF attacked for no good reason, there is no need for more fanboy drama, from either side. Seriously, the gaming community needs a great big douche on flushing out it's nasties'.

Back