Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Overall I liked what I saw, it seems almost as if they've simply flipped the PS4 side menu lengthways and improved the current PS4 "game card" functionality that will unreliably highlight in game friends, live broadcasts etc today. Main screen looks like it will wind up being a wall of icons but I'm happy enough with that so long as they let me create folders, didn't see any obvious space for advertisements beyond the PS Store landing page and News feed (or Explore or whatever they call it) which is nice but I believe what we've seen of XBSX UI suggests MS has backed way off on that stuff too?

The decision to limit that game guide stuff to PS+ subs and the heavy caveats around "supported titles" lead me to doubt many 3rd parties will bother next year to implement this if they even bother this one. As others have noted though if it's not used it will fall away naturally so I'm not that concerned about it now, I'm going to guess early titles will have too many cards and eventually we'll settle on some kind of standard. I hope that there is some way of customising what hitting the "Play MP Now" card means, I am basically uninterested in every Battlefield mode that is not Conquest Large Map so if it winds up hitting that button just dumps me into the quickplay hopper it'll be just as useless to me as the current PS4 game menu stuff.

Yeah dynamic location sucks but that's something that can be toggled in a point update down the line I'll bet

The cards also have dynamic location. So screenshot card can be on the 2nd card or the last card, or anywhere.

No muscle memory :(

I assuming it's dynamic based on most recent activity/notifications. If you are able to limit what shows up there in a settings menu then it might help.

I'm one of the people that liked PiP, Snap etc.
The trouble was always performance.

This shows that when running right it has decent potential.
I would have dismissed it in the past but having spectated a few mates while chatting on PSN while they play Sekiro or what have you has convinced me of the utility, would be nice to be able to chat between people playing differing SP games and hop between them.

ui reminds me of xbox, even with the old xbox one snap feature.

Sincerest form of flattery, I didn't have a One S until they'd dropped most of that from the dashboard but from what iirc on launch it shrank the playable area to pop out a giant column with video square in it, even now I hope there's a setting to even further reduce the video frame they've shown here

Great UI.

imo, it feels like the original Xbox One UI properly and fully realized. This just does everything it attempted to do but better. It's nice to see with the right amount of power, the side/side, PIP work. The achievements helper bit was interesting to see as well, that was barely supported on Xbox and it was too slow. This is much better for when it works.

The achievements section reminds me of the True Achievements app. Nuts. It's all so much more useful when it's actually fast and useable.

Agree. But I wished we would have seen more game transitioning (from game-to-game) or more cold game starts.

Btw all the snap, video overlay, switching games....

All of these were pc exclusive for years, and I really like using it. Hopefully PS5 also allow the web browser to be snapped so "game help" by community can be easily accessed.

I'm thinking destiny item manager, quest directions, stats / leveling calculator, etc.

Interacting with them should be easy as dualsense still have gyro.... Uh.... Its still have gyro right?

Yeah I dunno, the UI aesthetics look nice but some of the design and features I don't really care for. That card system doesn't look quick or intuitive to use, dude had to keep scrolling right to find what he wanted. And a few of the features they showed feel like unnecessary bloat/gimmicks that won't be used a whole lot..

Also the Activities feature feels like the "to-do-list-ification of gaming" on steroids which personally I am not a huge fan of. I know it's already implemented in a lot games but bringing it to a system level...well I dunno...it's like gaming just becomes a "productivity checklist".

They didn't really show a whole lot of much of the main home area, media apps section, store. Voice diction-to-text feature could be handy assuming it works well.
I would think that you can customise the home screen/cards to the way you like it. I would also like it if they allow you to turn off some of the features. I am a minimalist.

Last edited:
Hum? Even RDNA1 has ACEs. IIRC it has four ACEs and one GCP. The SeriesX slides mention a "Command Processor", which for all we know should still have ACEs.
The GCP apparently replaces and enhances the functionality of a number of ACEs, but these haven't been fully replaced and they're still present at least in RDNA1.
The PS4's customization wasn't ACEs, it was having 8 ACEs with 8 queues each, for a total of 64 queues being actively managed by hardware. Cerny cited this being adopted in AMD's Hawaii as an example of AMD adopting Sony's customizations when it suited them.
No GPU since has had that many ACEs. Fiji's original slides had 8 ACEs, but then once HWS was announced it revealed that their diagrams had deviated from reality. The introduction of HWS meant that roughly half of the front end resources were shifted towards virtualizing the management of the queues done by 4 ACEs. Polaris and later kept the revised HWS and 4 ACE combination. The diagrams showed 2 HWS, although other disclosures indicate that it's considered a dual-threaded single hardware block.

The Xbox One received some criticism for only having 2 ACEs, although if we go by the Navi diagram Navi 10 would have the same ACE and queue capacity. However, AMD's own whitepaper says Navi 10 has 4 ACEs, so it's possible that the diagram is based on a misinterpretation of the front end structures enumerated in the GPU drivers. If the Sienna Cichlid diagram is accurate, the queue count per ACE is going to be halved, although I'd wait to see if that is true based on how the interpretation for Navi 10 has been contradicted.

Sony's customization was seemingly nice to have, but with no clear impact.

Overall I liked what I saw, it seems almost as if they've simply flipped the PS4 side menu lengthways and improved the current PS4 "game card" functionality that will unreliably highlight in game friends, live broadcasts etc today. Main screen looks like it will wind up being a wall of icons but I'm happy enough with that so long as they let me create folders, didn't see any obvious space for advertisements beyond the PS Store landing page and News feed (or Explore or whatever they call it) which is nice but I believe what we've seen of XBSX UI suggests MS has backed way off on that stuff too?

The decision to limit that game guide stuff to PS+ subs and the heavy caveats around "supported titles" lead me to doubt many 3rd parties will bother next year to implement this if they even bother this one. As others have noted though if it's not used it will fall away naturally so I'm not that concerned about it now, I'm going to guess early titles will have too many cards and eventually we'll settle on some kind of standard. I hope that there is some way of customising what hitting the "Play MP Now" card means, I am basically uninterested in every Battlefield mode that is not Conquest Large Map so if it winds up hitting that button just dumps me into the quickplay hopper it'll be just as useless to me as the current PS4 game menu stuff.

Yeah dynamic location sucks but that's something that can be toggled in a point update down the line I'll bet
ps5 cust.jpg
It's seems to me you can customize the cards

Nice! Looks much less boxy and more modern than the PS4 Home Screen for sure. The speed of it all is amazing.

I love the activities cards for games, particularly where the game summarise what you have done and what is left to do and indicate how long there is left in a particular segment. I really hope story/mission/chapter based games use this.

The UX looks nice and clear and important, snappy.

Back