Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

blocked fan and still performing well. It's toasty, but it's still working safely. Hot enough to start drying your hair though lol

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/10/15/30-optimized-games-on-xbox-series-x-and-s-on-launch-day/

30 Optimized games on day one that look and play best on Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S

When you power on your Xbox Series X or Xbox Series S on November 10, you will be greeted by the largest launch lineup in Xbox history.

Day One Xbox Series X|S Optimized Titles

Looking forward to this holiday, there will be more incredible games coming to Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S before the end of the year including Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War launching November 13, Destiny 2: Beyond Light launching November 10 and optimized for Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S on December 8, and Xbox console launch exclusive The Medium on December 10. When Cyberpunk 2077 launches on November 19 it will look and play best on our next gen consoles and take advantage of Smart Delivery technology giving fans the best version for whatever Xbox console you own.

Really? CP2077 getting that patch?

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/10/xbox-series-x-unleashed-our-unrestricted-preview/

But the versus matchmaking suite can go all the way to the system's 120fps maximum all while running at 4K resolution. I immediately booted my PC version of the game and created dummy lobbies in order to create like-for-like comparisons to show you how a $500 console's 120fps mode compares to the same thing on a $1,500+ PC:

If you're struggling to notice any differences, you're not alone. What's crazier is, these crisp, detailed images full of handsome touches are appearing in isolation, as opposed to the dazzlingly smooth flipbook effect of running, somersaulting, and shotgunning at 120fps. Yet Xbox Series X doesn't sweat in rendering these frames at a blistering 8.33 millisecond threshold with barely any noticeable lurches in my hours of testing (and, again, with zero noticeable noise spewing out of the console at peak load).

But it's also comparable to the total heat output of most modern consoles. Series X's power draw—a theoretical maximum of 315 watts, but closer to 190 watts as measured by a Kill-a-Watt device while playing "next-gen" games—is a good metric, compared to the 120W average gameplay draw of the original Xbox One and 185W average gameplay draw of Xbox One X. (You read that correctly: In my limited testing, Series X and XB1X are absolutely comparable in power draw.) Series X just happens to vent its air at a particularly noticeable rate, which is probably why early reports claimed it ran hot.

We have power metrics. Looking good here.

Last edited:
We have power metrics. Looking good here.

With 190 watts compared to 185 watts, maybe I won't want to do that Dryer-Vent for Series X now. Remains to be seen a year from now when more stressful software is available. For me the heat aspect is only ever a minor thing during the few weeks between where Air Conditioning or Heating isn't running, like late Fall or Spring.

If the pattern holds, it would be an indicator that Microsoft has overprovisioned its power supply a bit more than it has in the past. The cited figures from that article would give the Series X roughly 40% margin versus about 27% for the One X.
It's too early for it to even be considered early days, so I'd expect at least some of that margin is the lack of years of optimizations that would increase utilization later in the console's life cycle.

Another preview (in Dutch) https://tweakers.net/reviews/8252/3/xbox-series-x-onze-eerste-indrukken-en-tests-meten-is-weten.html

They used RDR2 for these tests (auto-translated to English) -- One X at 65 °C, Series X at 48 °C. They have some FLIR images, so give it a look.

Then we took Red Dead Redemption 2 and played 15 minutes before shooting the temperature. The One X was visible with components of more than 65 °C, where no more than 48 °C was measured in series X. We don't know what temperature the processor and GPU reach, of course, but it does give a (literally) picture of the heat output of the consoles.

upload_2020-10-15_11-47-57.png

Furthermore, in the first tests with the Series X, it is particularly noticeable that this more powerful console consumes 30 percent less power than the predecessor Xbox One X. Also the limited sound production, where a Series X that runs a game produces less sound than an idle Xbox One X, also stands out.

Surprised that Bright Memory 1.0 is on the list for day 1.

Yeah like @scently said it's not the Bright Memory Infinite that was showcased in May. Bright Memory was originally released on Steam in March. Hopefully Smart Delivery gives the Infinite version for free when it releases.

Tommy McClain

128W? I was thinking about buying one to heat my house this winter, but if true I must buy at least two...
If usable yields are so good, and there was so much thermal and architecture headroom to scaleup frequency, why didn't they go up to 11... ehm... I mean 15TF?

128W? I was thinking about buying one to heat my house this winter, but if true I must buy at least two...
If usable yields are so good, and there was so much thermal and architecture headroom to scaleup frequency, why didn't they go up to 11... ehm... I mean 15TF?

Costs.

Also, other games were higher in different previews on other prototype consoles or retail hardware, like ArsTechnica measured 190 Watts on Series X vs 185 Watts on One X. I'm not sure exactly which previews were using which console types.

Back