Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Beyond what was stated in Cerny's PS5 presentation, we don't have much more to go on. They allow the IO block in charge of the SSD to inform the GPU of addresses affected by an SSD read. The scrubbers then perform pinpoint invalidations of lines caching those addresses. The specifics of their process is undisclosed.

The volatile flag was a customization for the PS4 GPU's L2, which marked lines dirtied by compute writes so that the eventual cache flush needed to make all results visible to the system would only flush those lines specifically. Whether that carried beyond the PS4 isn't known.

The cache scrubbers do share a similar concept of limiting the number of invalidations. Whether they go further and avoid certain flushes or just lower the overhead of a flush like the volatile flag isn't clear.
The cache scrubbers also work in conjunction with the coherency engines as per Cerny to minimise flushing of the GPU caches.

"There are coherency engines to assist the co-processors, coherency comes up in a lot of places, probably the biggest coherency issue is stale data in the GPU caches. Flushing all of the GPU caches whenever the GPU is read, is an unattractive option, it could really hurt the GPU performance. So we have implemented a gentler way of doing things, where the coherency engines inform the GPU of the over-written address ranges and custom scrubbers in several dozens of GPU caches, to pin-point eviction in just those address ranges."

Last edited:
The PS4 introduced having 8 compute front ends, which Cerny took credit for when AMD's Hawaii did something similar. However, subsequent GPU cut the count back and eventually replaced that method completely.
Hum? Even RDNA1 has ACEs. IIRC it has four ACEs and one GCP. The SeriesX slides mention a "Command Processor", which for all we know should still have ACEs.
The GCP apparently replaces and enhances the functionality of a number of ACEs, but these haven't been fully replaced and they're still present at least in RDNA1.

In fact, the latest Kernel Driver clearly points to RDNA2 still having ACEs, with "Big Navi" / Sienna Cichlid supporting the same number of ACE-driven compute queues as the PS4.

hXB0wUw.jpg

EkXi0TOX0AA4jXL

UI is probably today by the community manager of studio wushu(Destruction all stars).

Any history to this? I'm not quite following. You're saying Lucid Games are planning on showing Destruction All-Ststs today and want to show the UI?

I don't know who the people are in the screenshot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any history to this? I'm not quite following. You're saying Lucid games are planning on showing Destruction All-Ststs today and want to show the UI?

I don't know who the people are in the screenshot.

Shinobi602 is the community Manager of Studio Wushu support studio on Destruction All Stars.

I am saying maybe the UI will be shown today and it will not only be the presentation of the partnership between Burger King and Sony for the PS5. He probably knows when the UI will be shown.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/pl...-list-of-unsupported-ots.306661/post-48536584

From what was shown, Activities is a nicer way to present information to the user than the typical game Load Save Menu. Will be interesting to see how 3rd Party Games integrate with it.

Curious how Activities will populate when you have a power-user system when you have over 50+ games installed.

Great UI.

imo, it feels like the original Xbox One UI properly and fully realized. This just does everything it attempted to do but better. It's nice to see with the right amount of power, the side/side, PIP work. The achievements helper bit was interesting to see as well, that was barely supported on Xbox and it was too slow. This is much better for when it works.

The achievements section reminds me of the True Achievements app. Nuts. It's all so much more useful when it's actually fast and useable.

Yeah I dunno, the UI aesthetics look nice but some of the design and features I don't really care for. That card system doesn't look quick or intuitive to use, dude had to keep scrolling right to find what he wanted. And a few of the features they showed feel like unnecessary bloat/gimmicks that won't be used a whole lot..

Also the Activities feature feels like the "to-do-list-ification of gaming" on steroids which personally I am not a huge fan of. I know it's already implemented in a lot games but bringing it to a system level...well I dunno...it's like gaming just becomes a "productivity checklist".

They didn't really show a whole lot of much of the main home area, media apps section, store. Voice diction-to-text feature could be handy assuming it works well.

Some things can look "too much" but I bet you after a month with ps5 if they removed them you would be missing them immediately.

that pip was sweet

Some things can look "too much" but I bet you after a month with ps5 if they removed them you would be missing them immediately.

that pip was sweet

Not always. The Xbox One shed a lot of gimmicky stuff and refined the UI and it was for the better.

Some of this stuff may stick and some of it may not. As long as Sony continually refine the UI and features it won't be a problem.

Yeah I dunno, the UI aesthetics look nice but some of the design and features I don't really care for. That card system doesn't look quick or intuitive to use, dude had to keep scrolling right to find what he wanted. And a few of the features they showed feel like unnecessary bloat/gimmicks that won't be used a whole lot..

Also the Activities feature feels like the "to-do-list-ification of gaming" on steroids which personally I am not a huge fan of. I know it's already implemented in a lot games but bringing it to a system level...well I dunno...it's like gaming just becomes a "productivity checklist".

They didn't really show a whole lot of much of the main home area, media apps section, store. Voice diction-to-text feature could be handy assuming it works well.

The cards also have dynamic location. So screenshot card can be on the 2nd card or the last card, or anywhere.

No muscle memory :(

The UI looks nice. I agree with mpg1 that it looks a bit like it's encouraging "productivity". I like that you can enter different levels/hub of a game straight from the menu.

The loading of Destruction All-Stars wasn't as quick as some are expecting here. Took a good few seconds. Fast, just not 2seconds fast. Loading different areas in Sackboy was lightning fast though.

Picture-in-picture is nice, I just can't see myself using it to watch someone else play.

Back