Cherno Reactions Reactions *spawn* [2020]

I am not very impressed visually by the game for the moment but Evo games tend to look bad until the final release. But I think as an ex game dev, he could be more respectful of the work of other devs.

And if the final game is not very impressive, this is maybe only a matter of budget at the end.
This is what is out, if it looks substantially better after release then can look at it again.
But it is what it is.

What part do you either disagree with or think he was too harsh or disrespectful in?
As i don't see it.

What he doesn't understand is this is how it's going to look on pc and ps5, as part of the point of marketing deals is to show how it looks on your machine, in this case just not great.

This is what is out, if it looks substantially better after release then can look at it again.
But it is what it is.

What part do you either disagree with or think he was too harsh or disrespectful in?
As i don't see it.

What he doesn't understand is this is how it's going to look on pc and ps5, as part of the point of marketing deals is to show how it looks on your machine, in this case just not great.

I don't like Dirt 5 visually but respect the dev. I am dev but not a game dev. And he is an ex game dev. He knows how it works. He can choose a non clickbaity title for example. After for the criticism I think it is reasonnable but he can show some respect for the work of other dev and said the game look like an average current gen game.

I find Forza Horizon, Forza or GT Sport and Drive Club looking better but just be respectful when you were on the other side.

EDIT: The video commentary are much more subtle than the clickbaity title.

Last edited:
I think Chris1515 summed it up well for me. It’s disrespectful, he’s an ex-dev and he knows what they have to go through, crunch times and target budgets. 13 modes and 7 platforms. It’s something that we shouldn’t have to point out and that he should know why games look a certain way.

what I am most disappointed by, is that he lets himself be used as fodder for console wars. And he should know better than that.

I don't like Dirt 5 visually but respect the dev. I am dev but not a game dev. And he is an ex game dev. He knows how it works. He can choose a non clickbaity title for example. After for the criticism I think it is reasonnable but he can show some respect for the work of other dev and said the game look like an average current gen game.

I find Forza Horizon, Forza or GT Sport and Drive Club looking better but just be respectful when you were on the other side.

EDIT: The video commentary are much more subtle than the clickbaity title.
So it's the clickbait title then?
I agree it's that.

As for the substance of the video, and how he said it, I think he could've easily have been alot worse.
Dirt is being used as part of the XSX marketing, from that point of view I think he did well not to be even harsher.
He was respectful to the point of saying its probably MS etc, when I don't think that's the case at all.
MS is at fault for not having other things beeing shown though, then this wouldn't be so high profile.

So it's the clickbait title then?
I agree it's that.

As for the substance of the video, and how he said it, I think he could've easily have been alot worse.
Dirt is being used as part of the XSX marketing, from that point of view I think he did well not to be even harsher.
He was respectful to the point of saying its probably MS etc, when I don't think that's the case at all.
MS is at fault for not having other things beeing shown though, then this wouldn't be so high profile.

Another things, there is other video looking much better than this. For example the night snowy race from 11:30 here looks good.

The Cherno video content is ok, the title not at all.

EDIT: People can said him to watch AC Valhalla for example

Last edited:
I think Chris1515 summed it up well for me. It’s disrespectful, he’s an ex-dev and he knows what they have to go through, crunch times and target budgets. 13 modes and 7 platforms. It’s something that we shouldn’t have to point out and that he should know why games look a certain way.

what I am most disappointed by, is that he lets himself be used as fodder for console wars. And he should know better than that.
The game doesn't look great for a next gen show case.
You can try to find prettier ways to put it.
But i don't see what he said that was disrespectful, I personally thought he was trying to be as respectful as possible.

Fanboys are going to take whatever is said and run with it. Although apart from title I dont see what they could run with.

Anyway, it's my view that's apart from clickbait title, i didn't see anything that crossed the line into disrespect.

Another things, there is other video looking much better than this. For example the night snowy race from 11:30 here looks good.

If you find better videos then send it to him, he did specifically ask.
He just doesnt go looking for them and even acknowledge can be PS people sending him bad examples.

Oh and to reiterate that title, I thought was clickbait and did a disservice to his own video.

Edit:
Funny thing is wasn't going to watch the video due to title, until I read your post, and thought wonder what he said. That's how much it put me off.

Last edited:
But i don't see what he said that was disrespectful, I personally thought he was trying to be as respectful as possible.

Fanboys are going to take whatever is said and run with it. Although apart from title I dont see what they could run with.

Anyway, it's my view that's apart from clickbait title, i didn't see anything that crossed the line into disrespect.
yea its the title that really put me off from it.
I'm not judging Cherno on it, youtube is his business now, but seemed to come off as unnecessary baiting and ripping on fellow developers.

Judging by the video title I was expecting a much worse assessment than he actually gave. I think he was being fair towards this game engine. I still like the look of the game - it looks fun.

I went through and watched a bunch of videos of his that were tagged and whether we like it or not, he does actually make a statement of the XSX that I think is valid observation, only it won't go down well with some people; their currently announced games look kinda current gen (except The Medium and Forza).

I suspect this is because they want to break down what traditional generations are. It just unfortunately doesn't do their new console any favours.

Side note; I think the hardware of the XSX is fantastic and will probably buy one this generation (totally skipped their gen3 console), but only when it's offering something new compared to Xbox One.

EDIT: People can said him to watch AC Valhalla for example

I am sure he will do a Valhalla video soon.

yea its the title that really put me off from it.
I'm not judging Cherno on it, youtube is his business now, but seemed to come off as unnecessary baiting and ripping on fellow developers.
It's telling the truth not baiting and ripping fellow devs.

His whole premises is to tell it like he sees it. He is currently developing his own engine and has courses online for developing games. I would think that his criticism is part so that whoever is learning from his lessons, learn to not make bad decisions.

I agree it's a bad title but he has done nothing wrong and his criticism is spot on. I doubt he even knows that it's a engine in development as DF stated. I didn't watcht the IGN version but I don't think they mentioned that the game was still in development.

I agree though that it is MS's fault for dropping these titles in these states when they know that people are looking for any info with regards to Next-Gen and XBox Series titles. MS is failing in this regard.

Was that new Valhalla trailer taken on the XBSX or PC? I am betting PC.

It's telling the truth not baiting and ripping fellow devs.

His whole premises is to tell it like he sees it. He is currently developing his own engine and has courses online for developing games. I would think that his criticism is part so that whoever is learning from his lessons, learn to not make bad decisions.

I agree it's a bad title but he has done nothing wrong and his criticism is spot on. I doubt he even knows that it's a engine in development as DF stated. I didn't watcht the IGN version but I don't think they mentioned that the game was still in development.

I agree though that it is MS's fault for dropping these titles in these states when they know that people are looking for any info with regards to Next-Gen and XBox Series titles. MS is failing in this regard.

Was that new Valhalla trailer taken on the XBSX or PC? I am betting PC.
It's a bad title, it's a fair review though, a fair review of what he's seen. We're unsure of what IGN put in there. Other reviewers have all come forward to say that Dirt 5 actually looks good, so I'm not sure how IGN setup their feed for what Cherno saw. It's not his responsibility either of course, but it just seemed overtly harsh to call it a mobile game and to rile people up.

In 2020. Everybody is a "game dev". :rolleyes::rolleyes: Monetizing your "opinion", which, just like assholes, everybody has one, is way more lucrative that actually having knowledge & skills.

No he was a game dev for real. He worked on mobile games at EA and after at DICE but stop to create his own game engine. He has two channels, one with tips, programming and about his game engine and one with impressions he created a few months ago.

Back