Gamestop Announces Strategic partner ship with Microsoft

Wonder how that actually works?

So if you sell the console after 24months, how would gamestop still make money from that console?

Anyway seems like an overly beneficial deal for gamestop to be honest.

The console ID is forever associated with Game Stop. Doesn't matter who has possession of it or where it's located. Any digital purchases made or redeemed on that console will be associated with that console ID.

Tommy McClain

The console ID is forever associated with Game Stop. Doesn't matter who has possession of it or where it's located. Any digital purchases made or redeemed on that console will be associated with that console ID.

Tommy McClain
So if you buy the game from mobile app or web?
Or is it also based on primary user account on console also?

This is all probably handled fairly easily with relational databases...
You think.
Maybe, I don't have enough idea how all access works.
I can only think if it was marked as that user's primary/home console.

Wonder if you can get the console locked if it was stolen.

Really failing to see how this benefits MS, beyond selling a few more Xbox consoles.

hmm not as good as the original plan with xbox one where people can sell their digital license, and let retailer and publisher take a cut again and again and again and again ad infinitium every time a digital license got sold.

Less Sony/Nintendo consoles sold = more market share.

Tommy McClain

The entire premise for Gamepass to work is that they need to get capable machines in the hands of people as quickly as possible and then hook them with the subscription. For the time being, that capable machine is still the console. I bought a Samsung Tab S7 for Xcloud but I'm an enthusiast as I'm still getting an XSX next month. In a couple of years, that combination of capable machines is bound to look different than what it is now.

Less Sony/Nintendo consoles sold = more market share.

Tommy McClain
I understand the basic premise. I guess I'm apparently not aware of how many grandmothers go into GameStop to buy a console for their grandchildren not knowing which one they want. Apparently it's a lot?

News :( and only in America

Grandma shot dead after not getting grandson new PS5 at Gamestop!
Grandma buy a new XSS + gamepass (lot of games) with zero money cash but a subscription... instead of an used PS4 + 2 or 3 disk games [emoji1] (250 euro/dollars).... Ps5 + 2 or 3 new games is maybe 700 euro/dollars

I understand the basic premise. I guess I'm apparently not aware of how many grandmothers go into GameStop to buy a console for their grandchildren not knowing which one they want. Apparently it's a lot?
Depends on the age. A 60 or 70 year old grandma ? Yea it can happen. I've seen some parents come in asking for the Nintendo when they want a PlayStation or Xbox

You must be thinking of someone else. I didn't mention anything about grandma. BTW, I became a grandpa when I was 37. This view that grandparents are old & not with the times needs to go away.

People buying a Xbox via All Access will not being buying as a gift unless they are a parent & their kids are still at home. Grandparents won't be doing that. They will straight up buy the console & not do a payment plan.

Tommy McClain

Really failing to see how this benefits MS, beyond selling a few more Xbox consoles.

They created a situation where a major gaming retailer is strongly encouraged to promote the xbox. Given that everyone is forecasting a very negative future for Gamestop, the company is probably going to train their staff to heavily push the platform.

As you walk around a sea of green with the letter X everywhere you go, "Hey where are the PS5 games?"

"You got to go around to the back of the strip mall and knock on the manhole cover."

LOL.

They created a situation where a major gaming retailer is strongly encouraged to promote the xbox. Given that everyone is forecasting a very negative future for Gamestop, the company is probably going to train their staff to heavily push the platform.
So a retail chain already renowned for trying to sell customers what they don't want, will do it even more. :???: As with all things like this, it looks weird from the outside but it's difficult to see the industry economics at play. Microsoft surrendering income for certain revenue streams in perpetuity is huge though. How much it'll help Gamestop in the long term is unknown. I think we all know that the days of B&M videogame stores are numbered. You'll always be able to get consoles and games at retail, but shops focussed on only this market are doomed.

Back