Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is repeated mentioned but there’s absolutely no evidence to back it up.

If the tools aren’t ready, how do you know?

I’m not disputing what your saying but a lot of narrative passes here as unquestioned fact!

The website(s) and folks who are not developers who read them. Specifically the part where it said:
  • features like “Multi-process games in Game Core” will not arrive until after launch. There is a work-around for this in the current release, so fret not that this means games can’t be multi-threaded."
Why should anyone create a multiprocess game for a console? Doesn't make much sense.
The only game I recall that was multiprocess was Sacred 2. And that was on pc because you always play at a 'server' (local for single player) and it wasn't a 64 bit game. So they could allocate more than 2gb with this method.
But I really can't imagine why somebody would do this in current games.

neither have I. I just read through the post from Tommy below. That post explains a lot of the behaviour coming from MS here; the chart is the most telling from what I see here.

A8w8ziT.png

So we can see that they've had this GDK available for development and testing. But CERT and publishing did not happen until recently. That's rather telling how far back it is, perhaps the GDK was too ambitious here and having to support so many platforms from a tools perspective has made it challenging for both MS and the development studios.

Se are we to assume Lockhart certification came after June's GDK?

Se are we to assume Lockhart certification came after June's GDK?
Scarlett is the name for both. So it's a fair assumption, both XSX and S came after June.

It also stands to reason that based on when certification happens you baseline the SDK/GDK. Less support and vectors to deal with, with what is a new device.
So that in itself doesn't really imply how far behind they are.

Be nice to actually see the docs/change notes/future features and upgrades, as that is a better indication of the state of the GDK.

In fact considering that's from June, be nice to see what's changed since.

Yes, I wish we had release notes from later GDKs. The ones from June weren't particularly interesting.

Seems to be the case. Man, I had no idea that MS was that far behind with their development tools. Yikes...

Thanks again @AzBat

I mean, that was going around in the rumor mill for almost a year. A lot of those rumors ended up being bunk, but this seems to be one of the few that was more or less correct (Series devkits "running behind").

I'm guessing COVID's had an impact on this, that plus MS seemingly waiting a bit later (maybe a year later) to begin Series dev. compared to Sony with PS5, who probably began that system's development a year or so earlier.

Those were more about the devkit hardware, as MS mostly kept it internal and specified general PC targets to use if you were not First Party.

Why should anyone create a multiprocess game for a console? Doesn't make much sense.
The only game I recall that was multiprocess was Sacred 2. And that was on pc because you always play at a 'server' (local for single player) and it wasn't a 64 bit game. So they could allocate more than 2gb with this method.
But I really can't imagine why somebody would do this in current games.

Just spitballing here, but it could be related to virtualization or processes between the game and OS/Apps level features. Possibly how livestreaming, photomode, game-sharing, call, and other OS/Apps related functions/features could be integrated into the game, which would require multi-process management tools.

As we're throwing ideas out.
Mine is that after UWP not taking off, they pivoted to GDK.

Given how long something like that probably takes from inception to release it sort of adds up in my looking outside in kind of way.

Otherwise we wouldn't have GDK and it would all be UWP based, and that also meant being bit behind.

That's why there's a new SDK and not just an extention and continuation of what they had before i.e. XDK etc

Just spitballing here, but it could be related to virtualization or processes between the game and OS/Apps level features. Possibly how livestreaming, photomode, game-sharing, call, and other OS/Apps related functions/features could be integrated into the game, which would require multi-process management tools.
Or persistent world games where a background process stays live and to receive updates from the server. You may have Quick Resumed away to play Forza, then you get a pop-up say some event has happened in your persistent world game and you quick-resume back to it where you can get back in quickly because it's already connected.

So Series X is reserving less than the One X did. So it's likely a 4K UI was never considered...

Or less is kept in memory and loaded from SSD when its needed. IIRC, they did save substantial memory when switching the store over to different technology stack as well as making it faster.

So Series X is reserving less than the One X did. So it's likely a 4K UI was never considered...
On the other hand, they reserve 32MB of the GPU-optimal memory space, presumably for the Guide/notifications buffer that gets composited over the game, and a 4k, 32bpp buffer takes up just shy of 32MB...

If it is a resource issue then MS has taken the wrong approach and have gotten caught up in giving games everything.

You can streamline and realocate resources from OS to games as time goes on, not the other way around.

If anything the XO was a good example of realocating over time.
The PS3 was bad, i.e. didn't have enough OS resources from the start.

We will know more when the final retail units are out. It’s been unprecedented type of hardware reveal imo. Like Austin said, most of the time they fly people in to use the hardware. They instead just dropped it in their mailbox. Jeff Grubb got away with opening an expansion card. Etc.

it’s still not final product so we have to wait and see. The observation on UI is good, but it’s based on the preview units that must be returned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back