Gamestop Announces Strategic partner ship with Microsoft

eastmen

Legend
Supporter
https://news.microsoft.com/2020/10/...ltiyear-strategic-partnership-with-microsoft/

"Through this partnership, GameStop will standardize the Company’s business operations on Microsoft’s cloud solutions and hardware products to deliver rich new digital experiences to customers, creating the “ultimate gaming destination” for gamers in its vision to be the premier omni-channel customer access point for video game products."

Its too big to post most of it. Its really interesting

Microsoft had a lot of great ideas with their stores and I hope to see gamestop adopt some of them. But the simple fact that they will be upgrading the POS with surfaces and other microsoft products can only be a good thing

Last edited:
:)

Microsoft & GameStop announce partnership. Basically GameStop stores will sell Xbox All Access & then their operations will use Microsoft Dynamic 365, Surface devices, Microsoft 365 & Teams.

• Under this agreement, GameStop will standardize its back-end and in-store solutions on Dynamics 365, Microsoft’s portfolio of cloud-based business applications and customer data platform, empowering associates with integrated experiences across its business operations including finance, inventory, eCommerce, retail and point of sale. This will enable store associates the ability to access omni-channel insights about customer preferences and purchasing history, real time information on product availability, subscriptions, pricing, and promotions in order to provide a differentiated and personalized in-store customer experience.
  • Additionally, associates will be equipped with new Microsoft Surface devices that will transform the in-store experience and help unlock new retail experiences in the future. The mobility of Microsoft Surface will allow associates to move freely within the store footprint, meeting the needs of customers faster and more efficiently. Microsoft Surface devices have already been an important part of the digital modernization strategy for store management.
  • As part of its transformation, GameStop plans to roll out Microsoft 365 and Microsoft Teams to its stores, empowering more than 30,000 store associates with enhanced productivity and collaboration tools. With Teams, store associates will more easily be able to ask questions and share insights with one another, enabling them to provide a better customer experience. Associates will also benefit from enhanced security and identify management capabilities.
  • Following decades as an essential provider of the Microsoft Xbox gaming platform and services, GameStop has expanded its Xbox family of product offerings to include Xbox All Access, which provides an Xbox console and 24 months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate to players with no upfront cost. GameStop and Microsoft will both benefit from the customer acquisition and lifetime revenue value of each gamer brought into the Xbox ecosystem.

https://news.microsoft.com/2020/10/...ltiyear-strategic-partnership-with-microsoft/

Got to be the last hurrah before they close forever.

Tommy McClain

https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2163678/

Tommy McClain

lol my bad

c29.jpg

I don't get it. GameStop are switching IT service providers to a vertically-integrated Microsoft solution? So... :?:

Outside of the IT aspects, it also includes (posted by AzBat)

• Following decades as an essential provider of the Microsoft Xbox gaming platform and services, GameStop has expanded its Xbox family of product offerings to include Xbox All Access, which provides an Xbox console and 24 months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate to players with no upfront cost. GameStop and Microsoft will both benefit from the customer acquisition and lifetime revenue value of each gamer brought into the Xbox ecosystem.

Yeah it looks like an All Access marketing deal disguised as an IT deal. Gets All Access up front & center to gamers. Game Stop gets revenue for the whole 2 years & they also get these cool IT operation tools to keep from going bankrupt.

Tommy McClain

Do they know that cool IT tools don't help if your business model is dying? This seems like a way for MS to squeeze a bit from their corpse while it's still warm. :)

Damn, I was confusing news about GameSpot with Gamestop. Totally unrelated entities. :LOL:

Both companies are going through hardships though.

Do they know that cool IT tools don't help if your business model is dying? This seems like a way for MS to squeeze a bit from their corpse while it's still warm. :)

The business model just needs to be tweaked. Using Microsoft's platform they can actually have accurate minute to minute inventory levels and provide real buy it online pick it up in store. They can even start to use their stores as warehouses to feed their online store.

Also MS now has displaced customers. They don't have the hardware business that Apple does but if Gamestop and MS come to a deal there is no reason why the stores can't become a service drop off / pick up place. Your surface pro has a cracked screen and you have complete ? Okay go online fill out and pay the fee and go to your local game stop for the replacement if its in stock. Khols (sp?) is doing returns for amazon and they make money off it

The business model just needs to be tweaked.

GameStop has done this plenty of times, nothing is going to stop the bleeding over there. Their BS pricing and policies on used games is atrocious, and the treatment of their hourly employees is less than. And IMHO, shopping online has been a better experience (especially when it comes to returns or trade-ins) for me than GameStop.

Yeah it looks like an All Access marketing deal disguised as an IT deal. Gets All Access up front & center to gamers. Game Stop gets revenue for the whole 2 years & they also get these cool IT operation tools to keep from going bankrupt.
The All Access deal is stupidly good. It's kind of mad to buy not using this.

It is an interesting development.
GameStop has a serious vested interest in selling XSX|S for long term returns.
Selling PS5 may give them short and medium term returns with second hand market, but that market is shrinking fast.

MS and GameStop with a you wash my back I'll wash yours deal.
Although nothing stopping Sony doing the same, I just don't expect them to.

Wonder how much actual difference gamestop making xbox front and center would actually have for sales within gamestop

I think that the lesson to be learned is that people are going to realize in due time, all of Microsoft's actions this upcoming gen is going to cause a lot of people to give the :oops: because the first thought is probably going to be, why wasn't Microsoft like this from the beginning or during the 360 or XB1 gen. I and many others have always understood that their successes were seemingly in spite of themselves. They are ten toes down now. They have finally defeated and overcome their biggest enemy, themselves. I'm interested to see what they continue to do this gen.

The exact terms are confidential, but it's all part of the All Access program & it's not just during the time the buyer is paying for it. It's for the life of the device.
Wonder how that actually works?

So if you sell the console after 24months, how would gamestop still make money from that console?

Anyway seems like an overly beneficial deal for gamestop to be honest.

Back